Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music NBA Finals Edition Part 53............."Slap Hands!"

I recently discovered that some of my favorite songs of all time from any genre mention something about our "hands". If you think about it, our hands might be the most used and most important thing we have. Like so much of the music about hands says, they can be powerful, important, helpful, or maybe even tied up behind your back, and so often, we take them for granted. Go find someone and give them a high five, slap hands, and then listen to these songs and think about how important your hands really are.

In order to be on tonight's list, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "HAND" in it somewhere. Also receiving votes in this category are ""The Stone In My Hand" by Everlast, "Burden In My Hand" by Soundgarden, and "Blood On My Hands" by The Used.

"Hands"- Jewel. When Jewel came out with her literally out of nowhere smash album "Pieces Of You" in 1995, I have to admit I was already sick of the Alaskan wonder just because she seemed like she wasn't that talented and to me at least, her music seemed bland. However, in 1998, when she took the world by storm with her critically acclaimed album "Spirit" and this lead single from the album, alot of people including myself were pleasantly shocked. I love Jewel's maturation of her look and her depth she added to this song and everything she's done since. I honestly think is the one of the best music videos I have ever seen and is one of the most moving music videos ever made. However, it is strangely similar to Brian McKnight's "Back At One"- don't you think so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsS3pIDBfw

"Hands"- The Almost. For those of you who ever attended one of my events at Austin Peay, you'll know that this one was always one of my favorites to play with a crowd around. Something about this song is just great for a sporting event. This is another really good video and a really good song because they both have so much substance. I have to admit that I had no idea The Almost was from Florida, and I think with L.A. being in the background it confused me. Lead singer Aaron Gillespie is a more than capable front man, but seriously, I am gonna need him to cut his hair. All of that swinging red hair is just freaking out. I had no idea that The Almost was signed to Christian rock label Tooth and Nail, I guess that qualifies The Almost as a Christian band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH9UYgnpga4

"Hands Tied"- Toni Braxton. Wo- that's all I'm gonna say. Toni Braxton has aged beyond beautifully. This single from her latest album "Pulse" is a really solid R&B track. This video is really confusing- is she just appearing in the bar or did they show up to see her? Either way, seems like a good deal to me. However, this video needs more Toni Braxton and ALOT less Michael Jai White and freaking Eric Balfour- are you kidding me? That guy was on "Kids In-freaking-corporated"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpVynh9HWU

"Hands Clean"- Alanis Morissette. Ok, most of you know I have not been a big Alanis fan ever, but this song gets a pass for not being on "Jagged Little Pill" (most overplayed and overrated album in music history.....ok not that bad, but it still gets on my nerves). I gotta give Alanis a TAD bit of credit, her 2002 album "Under Rug Swept" at least a tad mature and doesn't only appeal to junior high females. Again, this is a pretty deep complex video- even the goofiest artists have their moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GP_yr-UA7E

"Hands Down"- Dashboard Confessional. Every time I hear this song I love it more! I've used this song several times as my facebook status ("Hands down this is the best day ever"), but I think that's gonna stop now. Chris Carraba wrote this song about going out with a girl when he was 16 years old. The song is all about how excited he was to be out with a girl and some of the lines he said to her. If anyone ever hears me utter any of these lines, please kill me. Still love the song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVN2b0DdZAQ

"Two Hands"- Jars of Clay. I've heard alot of people in the Christian music circles call Jars of Clay a "garage band", and if you listen to their first 2 albums, I think they have a point, as their music is more reminiscent of grunge than anything else. However, with their latest album, "The Long Fall Back To Earth", their music has not only reached a mature pinnacle, but their lyrics and videos have become even more inspirational. This video and song seriously remind me of my mission trips to places like Brazil, Canada, Wyoming, and even inner city Jackson. Those of you know me well also know I really want to visit Africa, and I think this video does a great job of showing the continent's true beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBn1_A_XPU

"Out Of My Hands"- Milow. I always love to see foreign singers record in English. Milow is an up and coming and European singer/songwriter from Belgium who is basically unheard of in the United States. Even though he looks dangerously identical to Chris Daughtry (and sounds kinda like him too), Milow is a solid artist who gets super personal in this song. Listen to the lyrics and see how they relate in the video- one of the saddest songs I've heard in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBKXiNA2dE

"Hemorrhage (In My Hands)"- Fuel. This song is one of the most rocking songs of the 2000's. However, this video is one of the worst. Brett Scallions just being there ruins it for me. What a GOOB! I see now watching this why Fuel always focused more on recording than appearances, because these guys look like crap. Perfect example- these guys are originally from the Jackson, Tennessee area before getting discovered in Pennsylvania. With all of my many music discussions in Tennessee, why did not ONE of the many people from West Tennessee mention that this band is from the area? See what I mean? Let me add that while I still think Brett Scallions looks like crap, he's a good singer- I am super glad Chris Daughtry did not become the lead singer of Fuel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHfgXJKn1Y

"Hold My Hand"- Hootie and the Blowfish. Ok, this one was a slam dunk. I already feel bad enough for leaving them off of "1,2, Let's Play Zoo", and feel more embarassed just because they are currently the holder of the title of "band Pigott would most like to see live that he has never seen". This 1994 debut single off of their possibly greatest album ever made "Cracked Rear View" from them is as good as it gets. I still remember playing the crap out of this song on the airplane to and from London during our spring break family vacation in 1995, and even though they hadn't been out even a year yet at that time, they were already interational superstars. I always thought Darius Rucker was a pioneer to a certain degree just because of the lack of African American artists in the acoustic/college rock genre. I remember so many people saying "hey did you know the lead singer of Hootie and The Blowfish is a black guy?". Not like it matters, who cares when you bring it like him. Quick note- I'm taking away bonus points for Soni Sonefeld playing the drums shirtless- what is up with drummers doing that? Please keep it on guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw

BONUS VIDEO- "Only Lonely" by Hootie and the Blowfish on New Year's Eve 1998 live on VH1 and New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom. Most people think I'm nuts, but Hootie's later stuff to me is better than the early music. Great performance here by Rucker and the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HISEqKdHwhU
Toni!
this little girl grew up alot in 3 years from 1995 to 1998!
next time, I'll know what you're singing about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons