Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 52................."He's Got The Whole World In His Hands"

We often misuse the term "the best in the world" or "all world". Sometimes we can see one person do something and they are "the best in the world". If you really think about, "world" is a pretty strong word when you think about just the mere massiveness of the earth. Maybe the song "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" makes the world seem small, but obviously, it would be stupid to think that. Ok, I seriously feel like I am going nowhere with this. On to the list.

In order to be included in tonight's list, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "WORLD" in it. Also receiving votes in this category were "Change The World" by Eric Clapton, "World Machine" by Code of Ethics, and "What A Wonderful World" by Michael Buble'.

"World"- Five For Fighting. I always love an excuse to put him on here, and he's got two pretty close together appearances. I think his line "be careful what you wish for, history starts now" is one of the best lines in any song, especially now. I love how this video shows Michael Ondrasik's 5 pm shadow. I really get jealous of guys who look so cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDY1KvoQYk

"Mad World"- Gary Jules. Another cover song! This 2003 cover of Tears for Fears is without a doubt Gary Jules' signature song, and in all honesty one of the best music videos I have ever seen. This song was also featured in the movie "Donnie Darko". I'm kinda torn because yes, this song and video are awesome, but how bad is it if you are known as a "singer/songwriter" and your biggest and most popular song is a cover? Think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

"Every Woman In the World"- Air Supply. Air Supply always had some of the best singing voices in music, and in the 70's and early 80's, they ruled soft rock despite their unbelievably gooby look, especially on the other side of the pond and in Australia. However, why would you want 1 woman to be every woman in the world? I know alot of ugly and mean women and I really don't think I'd want one woman to be all of those women thrown into one. So, how is that a compliment? Also, watching this video, I have no choice but to take away bonus points for the tight jeans and unbuttoned shirts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKi6V6qCBk

"Weird World"- Backstreet Boys. Before you start hating, with the 2005 release of "Never Gone", the first Backstreet Boys album featuring only live instruments was released. You may disagree, but I think that this song and album shows that BSB is really a talented group with this album as well as their follow up "Unbreakable" being a completely different sound than their early "boy band" days. Nick Carter getting rid of his butt cut makes this video much more watchable. I really enjoy Backstreet in this setting. A few years ago, Backstreet on Session@AOL would have been unheard of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLwWIENf2Sg

"Drop The World"- Lil' Wayne/Eminem. Ok, I put him on here so please stop asking me to put Lil' Wayne on here. He's a funny guy, and he really knows his sports, but I really don't like his music. To top it all off, he looks like a retarded midget. To me, he's too much like every other overrated rapper. All of his songs are about the same thing, he's so depressed and has "so much pain" inside. Ok, Wayne, we get it. I think it's only appropriate that Eminem is on here with him- the only other rapper to always rap about the same thing. This is actually a pretty cool video though- I would like to think that if my mind wasn't already made up about Lil' Wayne I'd really like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCAOMi5EGM

"Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?"- Rockapella. I tried to find some good live performances, but none of them really were as good as this original recording that for some reason pictures the new lineup with the original lineup singing. Rockapella is a pretty cool group for their genre, but you really have to scratch your head when your #1 songs are off of a Folger's commercial ( seen here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujEqAi6-VGo ) and the theme song from a children's television song. Also, I like that I have this video because I absolutely hate watching lead singer Scott Leonard sing- it seriously pains me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYg8vDTmkc

"Top Of The World"- The Carpenters. I have to admit I'm a huge closet Carpenters fan. They have some of the catchiest songs and Richard Carpenter was a really good song writer, and this is to me his best original song. However, the band they chose to have at the time has got to be some of the ugliest guys to ever grace a stage in the 70's. Huge bonus points for Karen Carpenter playing the drums as a woman in the 1970's- that was actually pretty groundbreaking at the time. See girls, if you want to play the drums, go ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuO3zFUZW-I

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World"- Tears For Fears". YES! I got Tears for Fears on here despite screwing them out of their original covered by Gary Jules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOA4ixV-3jU

"The World I Know"- Collective Soul. I know I've included this one before, but it's been a while. Always been my favorite Collective Soul song. I'd really like to see them get back in the swing of things because these guys were banging when I was in high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7TLTjqUyog

"Waiting On The World To Change"- John Mayer. I'm usually not a big fan of political songs of any sort, just never believed it had a place in music. However, I like John Mayer a lot (I'm shocked to say this is his first appearance ever on "Late Night Music") and this song really is pretty respectful when it comes to political songs, as it more hopeful than negative. I gotta find a way to get him on here more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIxScJ5rlY

"That's The Way Of The World"- Earth, Wind, and Fire. Funny how Maurice White calls this song their "national anthem". In 1975, Earth, Wind, and Fire was the biggest r/b group in the world hands down. Their smash album "That's The Way Of The World" is one of the most famous albums ever recorded, and is widely considered their best album (even though it is not my favorite). I love this live performance and I absolutely love this song. I don't like that this version is a tad bit faster than the recorded version, but anything to save time on stage right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2RsP43rmg

"Share My World"- Mary J. Blige. For some reason, this title track off of her 1997 album was never released as a single. However, I felt obliged to include it just because of the very nature of this very open song. This song reminds me so much of her next album (and my favorite) "Mary", it was almost like a preview for things to come. This song also marks one of Mary J's last performances as a crackhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVxldJCsqhE

"Share My World"- DeBarge. I've long made fun of the corniness of DeBarge (look at the album cover......seriously?), but for some reason this song really does it for me. I think alot of DeBarge fans liked it just because El DeBarge actually shared the microphone with his sister Bunny on this one- maybe the pure excitement of not having to listen to El DeBarge for the entire song excited listeners. However, there is just something really creepy about singing this song with your sister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg3Lif8DykA



our favorite afros
um........
DO IT ROCKAPELLA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons