Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 44 Pigott Is Back In Mississippi Editon......."We May Be Coming To Your Town"

Some cities are so great and memorable we have to write songs about them. Some artists have named entire albums after cities or even after entire geographical areas. All genres from 1990's gangster rap to 1960's country have honored their homes, former homes, or vacation destinations with some of their best work. No matter how big or small, every city is important to someone, but some are immortalized through "Late Night Music".

In order to be considered in this category, the song had to have the name of a CITY in the title. This would disqualify "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z, no matter how awesome the song is. Also receving votes were "London Calling" by the Clash, "Going Through the Big D and Don't Mean Dallas" by Mark Chesnutt, "Belfast" by Elton John. However, not receiving votes was "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen- he sucks.

"Cleveland Rocks"- The President of the United States of America. The opening clip from the "Drew Carey Show" shown here shows various sites and people around Cleveland.This version is actually a cover (YES!) of Ian Hunter's 1977 original hit about the city of Cleveland. This video is ok, and the show was actually funny, but the comedy effect watching Drew Carey try to dance makes it that much better. I never understood why, but The Presidents of the United States of America seem to always have the shortest songs. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single song they had that was over 3 minutes long. Strange we don't see them at all in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU0JpyH1gC8

"Walking In Memphis"- Marc Cohn. Ok, don't ever say I'm selfish. I'm putting this song on here for all of you. First of all, Marc Cohn sucks (even though this is a cool segue because he is from Cleveland). In 1992, he beat out Boyz II Men for the Best New Artist Grammy Award- good call guys. I never got over that one. Kinda like me getting mad about Fantasia winning season 3 of "American Idol"- that one really worked out for everyone too huh? Well, as most of you know, I have never been to high on the city of Memphis. If you're from there I'm sorry. The traffic is horrible, the tourist areas are dangerous, and the places you actually can go are overwhelmingly filled with bums and punk high school kids. While the food is delicious and the music history there is undeniable, I can't think of many reasons to get excited about the place. Like I've told Lassiter 100 times, I'd rather drive an extra 3 hours and go to Nashville- that way I can see real live music and not have to walk 2 miles to my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JzuZW-Lcns

"Amsterdam"- Coldplay. These guys simply rock. I'd like to have seen this song released as a single, but the song that closes their sophomore album "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" also closes this live performance from 2003. Coldplay is one of the top 3 bands I would love to see live. Also, this song is on here for you Lassiter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwf5iRBbilM

"Boston"- Augustana. I really like this song despite never being sold on Augustana. I've tried listening to their other stuff and I'm just not feeling it. I like the concept of this video of the band struggling to keep playing with all the tides coming in, but I was seriously disappointed that you have a song about a city on the east coast with nothing in the video about it, and then you film the video in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASJBXu8tNo

"New York, New York"- Frank Sinatra. This was a slam dunk. Ol' Blue Eyes is an American icon and I love this performance from his 1982 special "A Man And His Music". Despite its bad reputation in some outlets, New York City has got to be one of the most welcoming cities I've ever been to. If you have never been there I would strongly suggest finding a way to get there. I have always thoroughly enjoyed it and always thought the locals were friendly. The city also has a special place in my life due to my performance in Carnegie Hall in 2002, a mere 5 months after 9/11. Bonus points for being played at Madison Square Garden at the Knicks/Pistons game I went to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV02nP9PLnQ

"Welcome To Atlanta"- Jermaine Dupri and Ludacris. This one is for Jay Money, who blasted this song out of his speakers as we drove down Peachtree Boulevard in Atlanta on one of our several trips there over the years. I love how the old white tourists are stereotyped in this video. Bonus points for the Atlanta celebrities in the video, and more bonus points for Ludacris sporting the Atlanta Flames jersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbRBgYvZlwU

"Miami"- Will Smith. I've never been to Miami, but after seeing this video (which includes Eva Mendes), I think I could find a way to visit. Alot of people give Will Smith a "soft" or "sissy" name for not having explicit rap lyrics, but I'd have to disagree that the guy is a talented rapper. He's an upstanding guy with a good image- so what's so bad about that? However, if you really watch this video, you would see that Will Smith is NOT a good dancer. The guys is talented enough, I guess he can't be awesome at everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBB1lOLD6k

"Luckenbach, Texas"- Waylon Jennings. Ok, Luckenbach, Texas will be our smallest town on the list today and is actually one of the smallest towns in America. A small tourist "ghost town" in between San Antonio and Austin, Waylon Jennings sings about taking his lover to the Texas hill country to get back to the "basics of love". From his 1977 album "'Ol Waylon", it went on the #1 and is still one of Waylon Jenning's biggest hits. This song is also a Nashville live music venue favorite. I have heard (no lie) at least 8 covers of this song live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXR5Dk8YNw

"Calling Baton Rouge"- Garth Brooks. You know I had to include this one. Great video compilation of LSU sports here. This is actually another cover song (YES!!!!!!!!) that was made MOST famous by Garth Brooks in 1993 on his worldwide smash album "In Pieces". I also noticed that this is the first time we have ever featured Garth Brooks on "Late Night Music"- kinda surprising as I've always been a huge fan. Anyway, the bonus points on this video speak for itself. Forever LSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgd7Q0lZe3Q

"Last Train To Clarksville"- The Monkees. In rhe second song in a row about a city I have lived in, this song by the Monkees (who are also referenced in the title- think about it for a second), was their first ever single on their 1966 debut album. The song is about a soldier stationed at Fort Campbell finding a way to tell his wife goodbye. However, this video is all kinds of bad. First of all, none of the footage is actually from Clarksville- there's no way. Also, it's obvious the Monkees didn't play any musical instruments. Who are they trying to fool?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScXXaBu1Ing

"Jackson"- Johnny Cash and June Carter. Great song by the Man in Black and June Carter, his wife at the time of this video. They originally recorded the song in 1967, and were married in March of 1968 and were married until her death in 2003. Great song about a great place- it's great to be back in Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzhzCF77GDo

we can all fly to Miami on his ears
Cleveland rocks, but this picture doesn't
welcome to the show, Garth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons