Friday, April 16, 2010

Late Night Music Part 36...................."I Can Call You Betty, and Betty When You Call Me You Can Call Me Al"

Sometimes you don't want people to know your name. Maybe it's stupid, maybe it's not catchy, maybe if you're an entertainer it's TOO common. Sometimes a musician needs a new identity on paper to go along with their musical identity. I even think I'd have a stage name if I was a singer maybe just be known as................oh yeah, The General. Seriously, think about it- which sounds cooler? "Man Greg Pigott's new track is BANGING!" or "The General's new track is BANGING!". See? I rest my case. Tonight's entry celebrates those musicians who have a cool stage name, which makes their (well sometimes) music cooler. In order to qualify for this list, you had to be a SOLO artist. Also, your stage name had to not have any part of your real name in it. Also, your stage name could not be your current legal name (please see below for examples).

Also receiving votes in this category were "Pony" by Ginuwine, "Please Don't Leave Me" by Pink, "Incomplete" by Sisqo. NOT receiving votes due to real names are Seal, Sade, and Eagle Eye Cherry (look it up- I didn't believe it either). Also NOT receiving votes in this category due to legally changing their names to stage names are Dido and Elton John.

A Fine Frenzy- "Almost Lover", or Alison Sudol as she's legally known. This song has been used on more "passionate really awesome holy crap the whole shape of the series is changing" kiss scenes on TV than I can count. I really like this song and alot of her other songs, but am I the only one who thinks she looks either high or sadistic all the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWsasqIoyk&feature=fvst

Sting- "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You". Gordon Summer, as whom he was affectionately known by his students in England while he was teaching before pursuing his music career with The Police and then as a solo artist has one of his better solo songs here from his 1993 album "Ten Summoner's Tales". I really like the fact that it's an upbeat yet sad love song- not alot of those. However, he took the whole "medieval theme" of the album a little bit over the line in this video. I think he went for the Geoffery Chaucer look here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SQrvVssfs

Five For Fighting- "World". Most people think it's a band, but it's actually the stage name for John Ondrasnik. A huge hockey fan, he took his name for the amount of penalty minutes a player receives for fighting in a hockey game. Just a little bit more catchy than his real name ya think? This song didn't have the same commercial success of his other songs, but it's always been my favorite of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDY1KvoQYk&feature=fvst

Ice Cube- "Today Was a Good Day". I had to throw in Ice Cube just because it's funny to see how his persona has changed from his days with NWA, his solo rap career, and now his acting career where he has made many family-friendly movies in addition to his action/drama roles. I don't know why, but I've always been a really big fan of this song. Always makes me bob my head ya know? Seriously though, could all of that awesome stuff really happen to someone in one day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince- "Betcha By Golly Wow". This one was tough because Prince's actual first name is Prince. However, this song was released under the "Love Symbol" therefore qualifying him for this list. Loopholes my dear friends, loopholes. I love this Stylistics cover from his 1996 album "Emancipation", but this is near creepy with the kids and all. What is he trying to get across to us? WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYChY7X2wQ

MC Hammer- "You Can't Touch This". You know you love it! I seriously want a pair of those pants. I always remember thinking how weak this video was for such a popular song. I don't know, just seemed like a let down. Best part of this song...........sampling of "Super Freak".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Meatloaf- "I Would Do Anything For Love". Someone please tell me........what is "that"? Anyway, never been a big Meatloaf fan- why does he even call himself that? It's obvious he likes to eat, maybe he should throw in a haircut while he's at it (he's actually a vegetarian). Interesting and hilarious fact about this video. The woman in the video is model Dana Patrick who lip syncs the verse. On the album, the female is credited simply as "Mrs. Loud" and is British singer Lorraine Crosby. Patrick was offered several recording deals after the video, the record companies were very upset to hear that she is actually a terrible singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNhdQRbXhc

Musiq Soulchild- "Teachme". Or as his friends call him, Taalib Johnson, has been a neo-soul superstar since the 2000's came upon us. This song off of his 4th album "Luvanmusiq", quickly became my favorite song (other than of course his duet with India Arie "Chocolate High"). I love how real this song and this video is. Very deep- take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91jtjvN3NQ

Babyface- "Every Time I Close My Eyes". Kenneth Edmonds scored a huge hit with this song in 1996. Mariah Carey on the background vocals. A remix with Kenny G on saxophone was also released of this song. Babyface always looks like he is scared of something in his videos. Also, why is he NEVER with the girl in his videos? I am kind of upset because Babyface is a left handed guitar player and it doesn't show it in this video. Anyway- really good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbrSO81KhBY

Macy Gray- "I Try". Here's one that may take you by surprise. With her real name being Natalie McIntyre, Macy Gray uses the name of one of the dad's friends growing up as her stage name. I once heard her say in an interview that "Macy Gray just had one of those names that everyone said with the first and last name- like we are all going to Macy Gray's house". The fact that I know that and remember that is pretty sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTk2xp0nvY

BONUS VIDEO-

Paul Simon- "You Can Call Me Al"

No reason just like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI
the "unpronounceable symbol"
I bet you didn't know......
Not a band, just a guy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons