Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Late Night Music Part 32................"Sleepwalking"

The other night while I was wide awake at 4:30am, as usual I flipped through the many infomercials selling adult novelties targeted at women over 60, Bibles with typos in weird languages, physically handicapped teddy bears, and of course a Billy Mays Memorial Collection video. After my typical frustration, I started to think about those songs that make us want to sleep. You know, the songs that are almost like a dream. A few minutes later, I was sleeping so softly a bomb could not have awakened me. In order to receive votes in this category, the word "sleep" HAD to be in the song title.

Also receiving votes in this category was Rick Astley- "Sleeping", The Corrs- "Only When I Sleep", and the Beastie Boys "No Sleep Til Brooklyn".

Jesse McCartney- "How Do You Sleep?". I don't know Jesse, but since you asked, usually on my side with two pillows under my neck. Anyway, is it just me or does Jesse McCartney seem to be a modern day "Benjamin Button" by growing backwards? He used to look 15- now he looks 12. Also, you know some stupid idiot is gonna try that car stunt. I love how Ludacris is on this song and in this video, seriously- can he save it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bsXRqI1WbI

Alicia Keys- "Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart". Alicia has definitely outdone herself on this one. To me, this is easily her best video and one of her best songs. I like it because I could easily see an acoustic version of this song being a huge hit on an upcoming "unplugged" album by her. Infinite bonus points for this video for having Alicia Keys looking so sexy in a motorcycle suit. A few more for the whole jumping like a superhero thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjuEsfdiT4

Corinne Bailey Rae- "Trouble Sleeping". Corrinne Bailey Rae is one of our good friends from across from the pond that is pretty unknown outside of the jazz circles but is always a super listen! This song from her debut album. I've always really wanted to see her live in concert just because of her great use of instruments on her songs. For some reason, she really reminds me alot of Laura Izibor, in a non pop way. Question though- why was she sitting in the back seat of the car at the beginning of the video? Did someone leave her and start the song without her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqntAyOjeyU

R Kelly- "I Can't Sleep". Just to answer your questions- the female originally in this video had to be taken out because she was 11. When asked about this, Kelly responded "she told me she was 19." The helicopter at the end was escape from the law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmDyBUSAIt8

The Postal Service- "Sleeping In". I've always been surprised on how popular the Postal Service has been as Ben Gibbard's side project (lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie), but this song is surprisingly even more awesome than most of their stuff. However, listen closely to the lyrics- it definitely raised some eyebrows in the music industry as "controversial".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5lO-O8hRU

The Beatles- "I'm Only Sleeping". Great song from 1966's "Revolver", is one of the first songs in the history of music to feature a guitar solo played backwards by George Harrison. This song, about how John Lennon enjoyed staying in bed all day on days he wasn't on tour, is one of the better Beatles songs from the Revolver-Sgt Pepper-Magical Mystery Tour Era. Also note that "Revolver" was once named the 3rd greatest album in the history of music by Rolling Stone Magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjRX2DjJEhI

Silverstein- "Smile In Your Sleep". Our friends from North of the border always crack me up because they are a hardcore band named after a children's book author (Shel Silverstein). Also hilarious that this entire video is based off of the board game "Clue". Yeah, I'm lost too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlGqk5D4YU

The Tokens- "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo


don't make me do it Alicia!
this picture is so wrong on so many levels
again, no females of age were able to take this picture

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons