Monday, January 18, 2010

Late Night Music NFL Playoffs Edition Part 27......................"All Star Charity Singles"

DISCLAIMER- Please do not get upset about me making light of the serious issues many of these songs dealt with. All of these respective songs served their purpose of raising money/awareness.

However, we all like to see the "all star" singles where the stars come together to record the supergroup smash hit that we see over and over and over again. When this happens, we can always go back in time to see who was "famous" enough to actually be included on these songs. In some cases, it's quite comical to see. Again, please take all comments with a grain of salt and remember even God has a sense of humor.............just look at the platypus.

MTV All Stars- "What's Going On?". This Marvin Gaye classic was covered in 2001 to raise money for AIDS awareness. I've never been much of the political statement type, but I really like this video's message of diversity and how the AIDS epidemic could effect any of the people which are depicted on the blindfolds. Very well written and directed. However, could have done without Ja Rule. I have to just ask Ja Rule about this video...."what would it be without you?".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyTy9ns894M

Northern Lights- "Tears Are Not Enough". Ok, I've had my jokes about this one already, (see "Pass Me The Puck, I'm a Canuck"), but it never gets old. In the wake of "We Are The World" and "Do They Know It's Christmas", Canada felt the need to jump on the charity single bandwagon and record this surprisingly good song. However, I will seriously give anyone $100 if they can name EVERY ARTIST in this video WITHOUT looking. I mean, even a music junkie like me STRUGGLES on this one. I am good with about half of them. This song gets bonus points for having the phrase in French. Also a HUGE LOL at "let's show them Canada still cares".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk

United Artists Against Apartheid- "Sun City". Ok, like most of these songs, I am not making light of the issue. Apartheid is one of the most heinous acts of ethnic cleansing in the history of the world. With that being said, why in the world would some of these artists be anywhere NEAR Sun City? Ok, I'll give Run DMC, The Boss (who finds a point to make his way on to every charity single somehow), George Clinton, and MAYBE David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks. However, no one else in this song is gonna play Sun City anyway, so they can sing about it all they want, because even now that Apartheid is long gone, they can keep singing "I-I-I-I ain't gonna play Sun City"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWENNe29qc

Band Aid- "Do They Know It's Christmas". You knew this one was coming. I find it almost hilarious that this "British" effort for relief included Kool and the Gang. For the longest time, I thought they were British just because they were on this single. My only question is why Paul Young gets to sing so much on this song. Seriously, the dude had one hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE

Voices That Care- "Voices That Care". This song recorded in 1991 was recorded as a tribute to the troops serving in the first Gulf War in Desert Storm (which included my uncle as a captain in the Navy). Maybe it's just me, but I think Luther should have recorded this song as a solo single. This song gets bonus points for including the Pointer Sisters- for some reason they always crack me up. This song lost credibility for me when Mike Tyson (prior rape conviction) appeared singing the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6vr5_CY1o

Dionne Warwick and Friends- "That's What Friends Are For". This Burt Bacharach song was actually covered in 1985 to be the first of the AIDS-related charity songs. I always enjoyed the actual song as well as the comical value of the video. First of all, the random hugs Elton John gives everyone. This was before EJ was out of the closet fully, so he must have been married at the time. No other guy could get away with that many hugs to other women. Second, Elton John's 1985 mullet is quite possibly the worst fashion statement in the history of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGbnua2kSa8

USA For Africa- "We Are The World". The trivia surrounding this song is incredible. First, most people don't know Waylon Jennings walked out of the recording due to a lyrics dispute. Second, the song was recorded immediately following the American Music Awards just due to having all the artists together. Also, Michael Jackson refused to appear on the single unless he wrote the song (which he did with Lionel Richie) and his family appeared on the recording (which as you can see, they all did). Despite what you all think, I think the real star of this whole effort was Quincy Jones. Who else could arrange a song for that many spoiled prima donnas and make it work? Also- random fact- Dan Akroyd performs on the song......and he's Canadian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

Band Aid 20- "Do They Know It's Christmas". The 20th anniversary of the original, with Bono reviving his old line from 20 years prior. I really like this version- LOTS of up and coming British artists in this one. I'll double my offer from the Canada video if you can name all of these artists without looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo9jCJCgk5o

United Artists Against Cancer- "Just Stand Up". Ok, I realize the seriousness of breast cancer in this country, and please know that I am not making light of the message of the song. However, think about the following- first- what in the WORLD is up with Beyonce's hair? Seriously? Second- Fergie and Miley Cyrus almost ruin the song. Where did Fergie learn to pronounce her english? Maybe Miley got too excited, but thank God Mary J and Mariah Carey save it for them at the end. Also, is it just me, but what are Ashanti and Ciara are even doing on stage? Are they even singing? Also, most of you know how much I love Nicole Scherzinger, but doesn't she look scared to be on stage? I thought she was an interesting choice to replace Sheryl Crow on this song (who is on the recorded version- as was Lee Ann Rimes and Melissa Etheridge), but MAN she is HOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa89kBxl0VU

BONUS VIDEO- Various Chinese Artists- "Hand In Hand". Sorry, I couldn't resist. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsIyzhXY1X0




Band Aid 20
our Canadian friends showing us they still care
We Are the World.....but we aren't looking at the camera
Just Stand Up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons