Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Late Night Music Part 17.............."Odd Couples"

We all know the duets of two completely different artists that are used for no other reason than to get on the radio, sell records, and hopefully put an unfamiliar face with a relatively new audience. Sometimes, the difference in artists is sometimes so strange it makes you do a double "holy crap". We see this alot in music through samples, holiday albums, movies, and other "MTV" songs. While some of these songs are good, they are equally filled with the shock factor of "are they REALLY singing a song together?????". I'm still waiting for the duet coming out with Lil' Wayne and Taylor Swift- should be a masterpiece. I hear it's called "The Teardrops on my Lollipop".

Also receiving votes in this category were Angie Stone and Josh Groban "The Prayer", the part of "We Are The World" with Willie Nelson and Dionne Warwick, P Diddy and Jimmy Page "Come With Me", U2 and Mary J. Blige "One", and N*Sync and Gloria Estefan "The Music of My Heart".

Celine Dion and R. Kelly- "I'm Your Angel". Fantastic song featured on Celine Dion's Christmas album and on R. Kelly's double album "R". Seriously though, after watching this video you have to wonder if either one these ever met. They aren't together in the video, and I don't ever remember them performing this song. Was this song recorded separately? Why does R. Kelly have his baby in this video? Maybe the fact that pedophiles aren't cool with the French Canadian crowd explains their inferred distance from each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nV_p6cvr2A

Josh Groban and Beyonce- "Believe". This song featured on the "Polar Express" soundtrack, and featured here at the 2005 Oscars is absolutely spectacular. Alot of people hate on Beyonce, but not only is she RAVISHING in this video, but her voice is beautiful. I think people underestimate her true musical talent. Now, please note I did NOT say she was a good actress. Josh Groban always seems to bring out the best in his duet partners, that guy is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnK5QSwhWMk

Alicia Keys and Adam Levine- "Wild Horses". Alicia Keys and the lead singer of Maroon 5 put on this live version at Alicia Keys "Unplugged" performance for the album of the same name. I like they each brought their own style to the song but still found a way to bring the song together. Adam Levine has a very distinctive sound and it sounds good with the soul of Alicia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLmCPfx_gY

Frank Sinatra and Bono- "I've Got You Under My Skin". The first song on the list I don't like. I think both of these guys are legends, especially Sinatra. But when Frank released his "Duets" album in 1993, it was filled with very good duet partners throughout. However, what in the WORLD are you thinking about on this one? Bono didn't even try to make the song sound cohesive. It's like I'm listening to 2 totally different songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_EKEVtmSU

Bing Crosby and David Bowie- "The Little Drummer Boy". A Christmas one. This was Bing Crosby's last recording and last appearance before his death. David Bowie was trying to reach a broader audience with this bit, and honestly, some of the older bunch disagree, but I love this duet. Bing still had it until the end, and despite being weird, David Bowie has a beautiful voice. Irony here is that Bing admittedly had never heard a David Bowie song until he showed up to shoot the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson- "Say Say Say". Two of my all time favorite artists, but I hate how this relationship turned out. These guys just look funny together (but who doesn't look funny next to Michael Jackson?), and despite the extremely homosexual moment with the shaving cream, this video isn't bad, despite Paul McCartney not being able to play dead. Even the greatest ever can't be perfect. This was also one of Michael's last appearances as a black man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEhh_XpJ-0

Elton John and........
he had alot of strange duet partners- here are some.

Mary J. Blige- "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues". This live rendition was featured on EJ's "One Night Only" album in 2000 after EJ had played the piano on MJB's "Deep Inside" on her 1999 album "Mary". Mary said later this performance was the most nervous she had ever been in her life. I think they picked a great song to do together because despite their differences in styles, they both are very emotionally powerful artists, and it's an emotionally powerful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBbMJJNCOzo

Lee Ann Rimes- "Written In The Stars". From the "Aida" soundtrack, Elton attempted to help Lee Ann crossover to a non-country audience with this song. However, seriously, just look at this video- what in the WORLD are they trying to convey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKnxQcNg1w

RuPaul- "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart". I'll just let you watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtO_jSbNN6I

Eminem- "Stan". This memorable performance from the 2003 Grammys after Eminem had made his homophobic remarks showed that either Elton John didn't care or that Eminem was trying to reach out. Most of you know that while I respect Em's talent, I pretty much loathe him as a person. I like this song, Em isn't just rapping about how much he's been screwed in life. I think all of us know that story by now. While the original recording featured Dido (who even performed the song with Eminem on "SNL"), I think the pick of Elton John to sing and play the piano on this song was brilliant. In my opinion, this song brings out one of Elton John's best piano parts he's ever played. Good job on whoever wrote the FCC-friendly version of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYi8ZvbyGrI

P Diddy, Faith Evans, 112, and Sting- "I'll Be Missin' You". I will NEVER forget the first time I saw this at the VMAs. I was seriously thinking I was dreaming. First of all, what in the world is 112 even doing on this song? They sing maybe 2 words- kind of like 98 Degrees in "Thank God I Found You". Anyway, while I think Sting was just trying to be hip, he looked kinda silly up there with P. Diddy and Faith. However, I think it's ironic how Diddy pays homage to Tupac at the end of the song, when he was suspected of being involved in both of his shootings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tupSo3WC-Jc

Sting and Mary J. Blige- "Whenever I Call Your Name". Sting here in a better fit with the always wonderful MJB. I remember seeing these two perform this song on Leno and they had obvious chemistry. Again, while we have two completely different styles, the emotion on this song is perfect for both artists. However, while I love this song let me say that I A- HATE Mary's outfit in this video, and B- am officially going on the record as calling Sting a strange individual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxgsGv6JgU

Tim McGraw and Nelly- "Over and Over Again". I am still scratching my head on this one. I understand Nelly and Tim McGraw are close friends and frequent teammates in celebrity 3 on 3 tournaments, but these guys never seemed to click to me. This video is not only confusing, it's easy to get lost figuring out what's going on in it. Nelly in my opinion made a very poor attempt at "crossing over" here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHt52tsT1U
The Queen and the "Queen".
Ok guys, enough already.
You know it makes you scratch your head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons