Friday, September 18, 2009

Late Night Music Part 15 NFL Kickoff Edition.................G'Day Mate! How About Another Shrimp On The Bobby?

One place that has always fascinated me is Australia. Think about it- they have some of the most exotic animals in the world, have some of the most passionate sports fans in the world, some of the most unreal beautiful vacation spots in the world, is one of the most ethnically diverse nations in the world, and yet they seem to be mysteriously in the middle of nowhere down there in the South Pacific Ocean. I've always wanted to go there, and ever since Chip and Virginia's honeymoon there in 2006, that curiosity has not only grown, it's BOILED OVER. I admire Australian's patriotism and can't think of a single person I've met from Australia who was anything but a very pleasant person. That being said, they've also left us with some eh..........."interesting" music.

Aussies have always thrown their own style into music that makes it across the ocean and up past the equator. Sometimes, the style is clever, other times, it's just...........strange. While other times we might like it at first, but we can look back now at various Australian acts and just ask ourselves........"really?" after you see what you "used to" listen to.

Also receivng votes in this category were Silverchair "Anna's Song", Merril Bainbridge "Mouth", Frente! "Bizarre Love Triangle", Rebecca St. James "Wait For Me",and Midnight Oil "Blue Sky Mine".

Tina Arena- "Chains". Tina Arena cracked the top 40 in America in the mid 90's with this song. Honestly, I think if she would have been American she would have been huge. Her style isn't really that different from Western music and she is definitely good looking. While she never had much American success, she is one of the biggest celebrities in Melbourne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqbgzvKVzlQ

Jet- "Look What You've Done". I first got into Jet with their song "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" on the soundtrack of Madden 2003 that I spent so much time playing in college. However, these Melbourne brothers got me hooked with this ballad from their debut album "Get Born", which unfortunately for them has set their own bar so high, they will probably never match it after being compared to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones after this album. Meanwhile, while they are off chasing kangaroos, enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh0XZy-Hd34&feature=fvsr

Crowded House- "Don't Dream It's Over". A few things strike me as odd about this song/video- first of all, the beginning of this song seems so familiar it almost seems like the beginning of the song "How Do You Talk To An Angel" from the group/tv show "The Heights". Seriously, check it out and tell me if I am imagining things. Also, lead singer Neil Finn looks like he MIGHT be 14 years old, and why in the WORLD is he playing an acoustic guitar in the video? There is NO WAY they recorded this song acoustic. This video makes me think I'm watching Kids Incorporated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqsG1t7RoU

Natalie Imbruglia- "Torn". OK song, unbelievably beautiful woman. I had forgotten how into Natalie Imbruglia I was until I went back down memory lane just now and saw her again- still breath taking. I also really like her song "Smoke". I can't think of anything else that would do this video justice- just watch and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTod6ecTzUg

Savage Garden- "I Knew I Loved You". Ok, I am confused. First of all, why do you have a name like Savage Garden when there are only TWO of you? Also, if you ask me, this is one of the most overrated annoying groups in the history of music. Seriously, if I heard "Truly Madly Deeply" one more time.....I was gonna break my radio! I am ok with this song, but this video is absolutely horrible on so many levels. First off, we have the acoustic guitar again (must be an Australian thing), and the video seems as if Darren Hayes is an enigma- it just has the feel that he is NOT supposed to be on that train. If I really wanted to be mean to you guys, I would have put "To The Moon and Back" on here. I really think these guys are strange even on an Australian scale- maybe because they are "northerners" from all the way up in Brisbane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnO_I4idsY

Men At Work- "Land Down Under". I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MEN AT WORK!!!!! This is one of my favorite bands and one of my favorite songs! Despite being exceptionally strange, Colin Hay is one of the better front men of any 80's band. I love the "actors" in this video as the band is almost making fun of Australian film making, and yes, the koala bear they have there is fake for all you animal lovers. This song and video are actually a form of protest against the Government of Australia buying federal land that is part of the natural landscape of the country, hence the "funeral" at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew

Bee Gees- "One". I had to put one their songs that wasn't disco, because this song besides being their "comeback" hit of 1989, also gave us the chance to see why these guys were so fun to watch. Seriously, do these guys look ANYTHING like they did in the 70's? These guys age/aged HORRIBLY. Andy should be ashamed of himself flaunting his amazing hair while his brothers are stuck with their crap- I wonder if his was real. I hate Maurice Gibb passed away in 2003, as the Bee Gees were always good live, even if they were ugly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNyD_YG53g

AC/DC- "Shook Me All Night Long". Something has GOT to be wrong with you if you can't get pumped for this song. However, besides the obvious unintentional comedy of lead singer Brian Johnson looking like he's squeezing out a fart while he sings, lead guitar player Angus Young is one of those guys you just look at and go "wow" because you can look at him and tell he's not American. That look he puts on is either that of an Australian.............or a crackhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM

INXS- "Not Enough Time". I'll never forget the first time I saw this video. It was part of a "music series" to go along with the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics, and I always thought this song was strange because first of all, it's just downright creepy, second, the video is almost like a preview of 1994's "Come Undone" video by Duran Duran. These guys ALWAYS struck me as strange, and I still to this day, have no idea how this song could have any affiliation with the Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk1aX6hvRe8

Rick Springfield- "Jessie's Girl". Here is one that you forget sometimes, yes Rick Springfield is Australian. Rick Springfield scored one of the biggest 80's hits and one of the biggest one hit wonders in music history with this song. I have never heard an 80's cover band NOT do this song in their set at some point. I think what makes this song so cool is the awesome guitar lick that starts the song and his heard throughout. Just hearing that intro makes you feel like you're in the 80's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaYUM5wl7c

Air Supply- "Lost In Love". Ok, I like these guys, but seriously, look at this video and look at their picture. They have really good voices but how do guys this goofy looking get famous? Russell Hitchcock could win a World Goober Award and when I see this video I am BEGGING him to cut his hair! Graham Russell in an obvious attempt to over compensate his partner's goobyness, has to look like a 50 year old man trying to be 25 with the shirt unbuttoned. Hope you have enjoyed this look at our friends from Down Under, and if nothing else you've learned not to dress like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpntNDAYltM

Bonus Video- Great rendition of "Waltzing Matilda" by Tina Arena before the 1995 Australian Open Men's Tennis Final between Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras. Not only is this a great acapella version, I love the patriotism shown by the Australian fans as well as the respect shown for the USA with the American flags. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dVZo5a4_Ok
See what I mean?
Good gravy this is one sexy Australian
Making Australians everywhere proud since 1958
Just a joke my Australian friends

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons