Saturday, March 28, 2009

Late Night Music Part 5..............90's R & B

Well, its that time again, and this time, something special for you "grown folks". I have spent most of the night after "Grey's Anatomy" once again finding lost treasures on youtube of musical "masterpieces" and kept coming back to soul hits from my growing up days of the 1990's. I do apologize if some of these songs are before your time, this is back when r & b was still r & b, and back when I still had a LITTLE bit of soul.

"Poison" - Bell Biv Devoe- These 3 former members of New Edition had to open the 90's with this hit, and I have to admit that until about 5 years ago I had NO IDEA what the words were. I mean seriously, did Michael Bivens really expect us to take "never trust a big butt and a smile" seriously? Wow, well enjoy this video, the song is almost as good as their clothes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdF2zqs1bxQ

"Motownphilly" - Boyz II Men- Interesting facts about this video. First, I feel like I'm watching the opening credits of "A Different World" on this video- the frames go the opposite direction, but tell me I'm not alone in this observation. Second, doesn't Shawn Stockman look alot shorter now that his hair isn't 2 feet high? I mean his hair is seriously UNREAL in this video. Also, Michael Bivens really is kinda like a P. Diddy wannabe in this video- pretty stupid. Also, why are all the no name East Coast Family groups shown in this video? Other than Another Bad Creation, has ANYONE heard of those groups? Boyz II Men is actually still alive and kicking and have some pretty good new material. Until then, enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzkICG47LU

"Before I Let You Go" - Blackstreet. WOW what a great song! This 1994 slow jam is still one of my favorite songs to lip sync in the mirror to. Dave Hollister shows just how awesomely soulful he really is in this video, but how STUPID do the brothers Teddy and Markell Riley look? It looks like they are on a casting call for "Dead Presidents" as Chris Tucker's stand in.....OUCH! Also, question- who is the actress in this video with the ever so talented Omar Epps? How did they get him to be in this video? Also, please explain to me the 1990's music video theme of little kids in videos- what does it have to do with ANYTHING?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBrCjMp81E

"Lately" - Divine- This 1998 one hit wonder just grows cheesier by the day. First of all, this is some of the WORST choreography I've EVER seen in a video- what a GOOFY dance! These 3 girls are pretty, but I think they could have done a lot better job showing off their features. I just remember the goofy white kids at school singing this song like it was their own- man the power of girl groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uOzZRgJsX8

"I Can't Wait Another Minute" - Hi Five- These 5 kids out of Waco, Texas and Tulsa, Oklahoma stole skating rink sweethearts all over America with this 1990 hit. Unfortunately I can't find the amazingly bad video, but these guys were about 18, 15 at the youngest at the time of this song......do they sound that old? However, I do own this CD. Watch and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY12nCVGGk8

"Give Me You" - Mary J. Blige- My favorite Mary song EVER! This video isn't Mary's best look ever, but the cameo appearance by a then retired Michael Jordan I thought was a classy touch. Most people don't know Eric Clapton is playing the guitar on this song. This was one of Mary's last songs as a crackhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF5K6Rissc

"Run to the Arms of the One Who Loves You" - Xscape- Ok another guilty pleasure girl group of mine. I still do NOT get the theme of this video. Are we at a wedding or at the symphony? Not enough of the beautiful Xscape member Kandi Burris in this video. However, I DID buy this CD in high school and still have it. This is an absolutely beautiful song actually written by Diane Warren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytUKwHeGvoA

"Baby I'm Yours" - Shai- I see this Washington, DC quartet from time to time and I wonder how they ever became even semi big. First of all, they aren't even a real quartet. Second, the "cool" member of the group who went by "Groove" is wearing a Naughty By Nature hoody in the video- are you serious? I remember when these guys had a cameo appearance on "Family Matters" in 1993, these were 4 of the biggest goobers ever. With all that being said, good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSoxcIfZwGA

"When Can I See You Again"- Babyface- Watch closely- two great things about this video. Babyface is a lefthanded guitar player. Second, the hot asian waitress behind the bar. Wow I wonder who that is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4UWZt_ldE

"Lately" - Jodeci- This Stevie Wonder cover isn't as good as the live version, but still good nonetheless. Why did Jodeci never make a comeback? Man they were a good band! This was Jodeci's first real mainstream hit. Check the video out, but check out the live version too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ddj5uKbpY

Never trust a big butt and a smile
Why do none of their hats match?
Definitely......off the hook!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons