Saturday, March 14, 2009

Places Every Sports Fan Should Go - Part 1

While I have always been one of those guys who goes on "sports trips", where the whole purpose of the trip no matter how short or far it is, the whole trip revolves around a sporting event. Sometimes, the sporting event is a team I am a fan of (Saints, LSU, Southern Miss, Cubs), but other times, it is merely my pure love of the game and the atmosphere that drives me to take in a game there. So, let me make a list here of places EVERY sports fan should go.

- Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois -

I have been to 3 games here. Once in 1999 and two recently this season in 2008. Besides being one of the oldest sports venues in the world, this stadium is literally a "neighborhood ballpark" surrounded by bars, restaurants, shops, and houses. Many of the Cubs players live within walking distance of the stadium and walk to and from games. Not to mention the rooftop seats across the street as well as the UNREAL concessions at the stadium. The playing field at Wrigley Field is damn near flawless and when you're there you seriously wonder how you could be at a better stadium. For any sports fan, this is the Holy Grail of baseball. Below is a picture I took of Wrigley during my trip there this past July.


- Tiger Stadium - Baton Ro
uge, Louisiana

Ok I promise this isn't a "homer pick". The magic you feel when the lights come on in that stadium is literally unbelievable. I have been to six games in the hallowed grounds, 4 of which were night games, and 3 of which went to overtime (including the famous 3 OT game against Arkansas in 2007). The pre game atmosphere of tailgating, great cajun food, followed by a phenomenal band and over 92,000 screaming fans is just something made for legends. personally, I have never met a single person who said going to Death Valley was a bad experience. Again, Tiger Stadium is a MUST for every college football fan.....LSU fan or not.


- Neyland Stadium- Knoxville, Tennessee

My first trip here this past season for the UT/Alabama game really opened my eyes. I have to admit- I have NEVER been a fan of Tennessee. I mean, I never was a UT "hater", but I had no reason to be a fan. I still can't call myself a fan, but the experience at Neyland Stadium is tough to be matched on any level. The Vol Walk, the playing of "Rocky Top", and the 100,000+ seats turn this stadium into a cathedral. Make a trip to Neyland at some point, UT fan or not, you won't regret it! This picture here was taken by me at Neyland Stadium in 2008. The only bad thing is that this picture really doesn't capture the magic of the stadium once the lights go out in the Volunteer state.


- Madison Square Garden- New York City

Can you beat basketball in the Big Apple? I had the opportunity to see the Knicks and Pistons play in the "World's Most Famous Arena" in February 2002.
Not only was the New York Big City atmosphere fantastic, but the tradition that filled the arena was obvious. All the NBA and Stanley Cup Finals that the building has seen, not to mention concerts, WWE, boxing, and the annual Big East and NIT Tournaments in NCAA Basketball. It's amazing to me how a building in such a busy spot in a busy city can be so used. Located an easy walk from Times Square, Madison Square Garden is a MUST for any visitor to New York. Whether its to catch the Knicks, Rangers, or a college game, there is no way going to the Garden can NOT be a bad decision!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons