Saturday, January 24, 2009

Late Night Music.................

It's a sleepless night, and I have spent the majority of it looking at youtube videos of songs of groups that I was a HUGE fan of. Poor Holly was talking to me while I was going through this stage of complete randomness. Now, I am not THAT old am I?? What seemed like such cool music then is now something that makes me look back and say "what in the WORLD was I thinking about?". Oh, by the way Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Def Leppard, Backstreet Boys, and Weird Al Yankovic will not appear on this list......but it was close.

Anyway, the night's videos have included:

"Iesha" by Another Bad Creation. These little 10-11 year old kids from Atlanta were the "creation" of Michael Bivens who I guess was trying to relive his New Edition days. Not only were these 5 kids corny, they were dressed like complete goofballs wearing clothes 19 sizes too big. However, I have shame on this not because their "smash" album "Chillin at the Playground.....Ya Know?" was the first CD I ever bought.

"Valentine Girl" by New Kids on the Block. I'm glad these guys are doing well now. Seriously, in 1990-1992 was there any group that even thought as being as big as these guys? These guys were only about 4-5 years before their time when boy bands really hit it big. Too bad that by this time, they were a geriatric band in music industry standards. More shame here, I was the kid at school who made fun of everyone for having NKOTB stuff.....but I had all of their cassettes- what a cool guy!

"Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson. In MJ's debut as a white woman, this song shot to the top of the charts when I was a strapping 6 years old in 1987, and I have finally figured out why. I cannot understand a FREAKING WORD Michael says that isn't in the chorus. I guess people kept playing the song because they wanted to figure those words out. However, again, I am a proud owner of "Bad", which, in my opinion, is better than "Thriller" AND "Dangerous". I am still a HUGE MJ/Jackson 5 fan.

"Mr. Wendal" by Arrested Development. I mean serious what the heck are these guys talking about on this song? I still am clueless about just who the heck Mr. Wendal is.......could these guys be anymore weird. I do remember though in 5th grade everyone who had this CD being "cool". The sad part is, I was jealous.

"Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz. Man I loved this song! If you ever want some good entertainment, go watch this video and see the serious looks on their faces. How can anyone take a song like this that serious? I also have to always laugh when I think about an interview these guys did with MTV in 1986 or so about how "We have to be very careful" (British Accent) in trying to NOT be a one hit wonder. Guess they should have been more careful.

"Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. Interesting fact......Billy Ray Cyrus was a rare left handed guitar player. Besides that, you really have to wonder how this guy and his mullet ever made it big with a song that stupid. However, I do remember being jealous of a classmate of mine with this CD.

"Summer Vacation" by the Party. Not only did I have this Mickey Mouse Club spinoff group debut album, I actually sent them a FAN LETTER (which I got a promo pack in return for). I remember in 4th grade getting in trouble for bringing their tape to school trying to listen to it. I even thought I was cool and tried to draw a picture of them and I actually hung up in my room. Please go watch this video- it will make you laugh.....in some way.

The theme video to EVERY season of "Kids Incorporated", along with the title video and other videos to "Kidd Video". They were cool.............at the time.

I am sure Mason is so proud that someone like me who is one of his biggest fans has such a respected music listening background.




Maybe Johnny shouldn't have hated jazz so much.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons