Monday, March 29, 2010

Late Night Music Part 34.............................."I'm Just Mary"

Most of you know my love affair with the queen of soul Mary J. Blige. Starting about my senior year of high school, I have been captivated by her soulful lyrics and music, and I say it jokingly, but her music seriously does "speak to me". I can't think of many other artists who have reached across so many genres and been so successful. After beating a drug addiction and getting out of an abusive marriage, she has inspired people all over the world through her life and her music, with me being one of the many. I have always loved how she has been able to appeal to people of all backgrounds and races to show that good music really can be "sugar for your soul"- Sorry Shanelle- had to use it.

"Sweet Thing". Mary burst onto the scene in 1992 with "What's the 411" and closed out the year after 3 singles with this Chaka Khan cover which was first made popular in 1975. I think this was a great single to release at the time because after MJB released "Real Love" (which went on to become her first Top 10 single), it showed her new and growing fanbase how she was truly broad in her musical talents and musical background. Sorry for the video, can't find the official video for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GkU2UuHeE

"I'm Going Down". Without a doubt, my favorite early Mary J song. I've never thought of MJB as an overly attractive woman, and I absolutely hate this look on her. The blonde hair and overdone lipstick just doesn't do it for me. Anyway, while this is a great song, this video shows that she hadn't unlocked her full creativity yet. Seriously, if you've seen any 1990's R/B videos, it's almost like you've seen this one. Even the black and white doesn't help it. However, back to the song- don't underestimate the vocal arrangements of K-Ci Hailey (her then boyfriend and future husband) and Faith Evans on this song. They both had alot of input on the album, and quite honestly, I wish they would have had input on more- this song was created for Mary to sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XmwiwQjU8E

"Missing You". INFINITE bonus points for there actually being a clip still out there from the "Magic Johnson Show". Just shows that even MJB couldn't save his show. Again, I hate her look- that outfit is pretty unwelcoming. All that being said, I always really liked this song, and I always wished this song was released as a single in the US (was released in Europe only), but nonetheless, "Share My World" was truly her first big splash in 1997 starting which was also catapulted by her smash hit off of the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack, "Not Gon' Cry" (her first #1 single). This performance was also one of Mary's last appearances as a crackhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhxPPHqzEU

"Give Me You". For the longest time, this was EASILY my favorite Mary J song. Her album "Mary" released my senior year of high school, really got me into her and features contributions from George Michael, Elton John, Eric Clapton, K-Ci Hailey, Aretha Franklin, among others. This Diane Warren written ballad is real in every sense of the word, and I can't see anyone but Mary singing this song. However, once again, I hate this look on her- kind of a pattern here- and just think, she was sober by this point! However, all kinds of bonus points for this video featuring Michael Jordan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF5K6Rissc

"Rainy Dayz". Mary followed up "Mary" with 2001's "No More Drama", which featured her second #1 hit "Family Affair" and vaulted her into superstar status. The album was softer and less harsh than her previous work and showed alot of her new found spirituality. Probably her best all around album. This video, which was also a top 10 hit, is a pretty cool video, and this song would be stellar, but why does it have to have Ja Rule? Is there a worse rapper in the world? This song is unbelievable lyrically and has always been inspirational to me, but can't get past Ja Rule. Once again, I hate Mary's look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUrjiq87UI

"Love At First Sight". This Album, "Love and Life", is so bad I like to forget it exists. Leave it to P. Diddy to ruin ANOTHER album. I was worried she would sign with Bad Boy after this album. Thankfully for all of us, this never happened. However, I like this song, and yes I FINALLY like a look she has in a video. Ladies.......always go natural!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXjfkoGihM

"One". This collaboration with U2 as a duet of their 1991 hit from her 2005 album "The Breakthrough" (which featured her third #1 hit "Be Without You) proves without a doubt just how diverse and gifted she really is. Man I LOVE THIS SONG! Notice how as she gets older, she becomes more elegant and mature in her look, thus not looking strange anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDQJnI4OhU

"Come To Me (Peace)". This Abbey Road Studios version of "Come To Me" off of 2007's "Growing Pains". Is easily, without a doubt, my favorite Mary J Blige song. This song is a perfect example of Mary coming of age in her music, her words, and her life. I relate to this song SO MUCH. Can't listen to this one without getting chills. Maybe being where the Beatles once stood makes it that much more awesome. Bonus points for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OpqBjydwk

"Stronger". Great live performance this past year on "Good Morning America"- this song on 2009's "Stronger With Each Tear" says it all when it comes to Mary J. Blige. Just listen to the song- it says it all.

Bonus Videos-

"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues"- with Elton John on his live album "One Night Only" in 2000. Mary said later that this performance was the "most nervous she had ever been in her life". Sharing the stage with Elton John can do that to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBbMJJNCOzo

"Whenever I Say Your Name"- with Sting on his 2003 album "Sacred Love". Despite this song only reaching #77 on the charts, it still won the 2004 Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxgsGv6JgU&feature=fvw

"911"- with Wyclef Jean on his 2000 album "Eclectic 2: II Sides to Every Book". Love this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiNRIR8tjFc



What's The 411?
My Life
Share My World
Mary
No More Drama (alternate cover)
Love and Life
The Breakthrough
Growing Pains
Stronger With Each Tear

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons