Thursday, June 17, 2010

Late Night Music Part 41................."Boy Bands"

I always loved boy bands- but not in the way you would think. I wanted to BE in one. Think about it- best life in the world. You don't have to write your own music, you don't have to play any instruments, you travel the world, you have millions of women falling at your feet, and you make a ton of money doing it. While my visions of grandeur have since died since I have "grown up" a little bit, I still think boy bands are cool......kinda. Some are cool, and some just make you shake your head (these are mentioned in the groups that did not receive votes in this category), so there's always a fine line. Wait, stop, why am I even getting this detailed? On to the list..........

Also receving votes in this category were-"When the Lights Go Out" by Five, "Sukiyaki" by 4 p.m., and "Back For Good" by Take That. NOT receiving votes was anything by IMX, B2K, Az Yet, N-Toon, Boyzone, or 3T. Also, there will be NO Marshall Dyllon on this post.....none at all- sorry Lassiter.

"As Long As You Love Me"- Backstreet Boys. Don't even laugh, you know how much I like the Backstreet Boys- Kevin Richardson was always one of those guys I just always hated (in a good way), he had the perfect hair, the perfect cheek bones, and the perfect body. Not to mention he has the perfect 5 o'clock shadow that never goes away. In fact, I think all of them are pretty freaking awesome..........well except Nick Carter- seriously, look at that guy's hair!After Backstreet's US debut single "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" in 1997, Backstreet followed it up with this song and video, which I have to admit I really really like. I think the chair dance is pretty cool, and even though they stole it from Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video, I really like the morphing. Super bonus points for the hot chicks who include Leigh Anne Wallace, who would marry Brian Littrell in 2000 after meeting at this video shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-i1exXUO0

"I Do (Cherish You)"- 98 Degrees. Most people forget, but this song, which is also my favorite by 98 Degrees, was the video featured on the pilot episode of MTV's "Making the Video" in 1999. Actually a cover (OH MAN! A COVER SONG!) of a country song by Mark Wills, this song helped catapult "98 Degrees and Rising" and the band into super stardom in the late 90's. INFINITE bonus points for Ali Landry, who at this point, was famous for her Doritos commercials and for being the woman who broke up with Mario Lopez the night before their wedding. I hate to say Dustin Diamond makes this video funny because anyone who watched "Celebrity Fit Club" knows what a douche he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kofixtz2Us

"Girl On TV"- LFO. Or the "Lyte Funky Ones" as them and Lou Pearlman so affectionately called themselves. This song is based on group member Rich Cronin's then girlfriend Jennifer Love Hewitt (obviously), but they broke up after she cheated on him with 98 Degree's Jeff Timmons. I guess he was still heart sick over Screech taking his girl. Pretty decent song here, I'm just glad LFO actually came out with a song that made sense after the release of "Summer Girls".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4iGDSjOpXc

"This I Promise You"- N'Sync. Without a doubt my favorite N'Sync song. For those of you who have graced my presence on New Year's Eve in recent years, this song has always been one of my of karaoke favorites to ring in the new year. I still, however, can not figure out the group being in the middle of the Redwood Forest in the video- the bubbles just seem out of place there. This song always cracks me up also, because I always loved how John Lassiter would say "the angels flap their wings" when JC sings the bridge at 2:50 of the video. Also just a few random notes- Chris Kirkpatrick looks like my good friend Shane Conti. Joey Fatone has the most amazing 5 o'clock shadow, and yes Lance Bass definitely looks like Ellen DeGeneres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thmPrTxBtI

"I Can't Wait Another Minute"- Hi Five. I'm SO glad I finally found this video! These 5 teenagers from Waco, Texas had some moderate success in the early 90's, especially with this song. I always think it's hilarious to see the basketball game in this video- nothing says "I love you" like a game of 1 on 1. This is probably my favorite song on this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1xRW1CYpik

"Back Here"- BBMak. In 1999, we had had enough of American boy bands, so our good friends from across the pond came over and brought us a British boy band BBMak (Burns, Barry, and McNally) and this song which was played, in excess by MTV in 1999. Interesting fact about this video is that it was the American version but filmed in London. The European version was filmed in Los Angeles- go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95MMbls0GQ

"Swear It Again"- Westlife. When everyone in Europe saw how good BBMak had done, our Irish friends Westlife came on the scene with this 2000 hit. This video, however, is the European version. My question is- why even waste the money to make two big budget videos for the same freaking song? Spend that money on something else- but hey, that's just me. Just a random observation- if we had a contest and someone who knew nothing about music had to pick which boy band was definitely European just by looking at them, Westlife would be the runaway winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UaMsIJ4bR0

"We Fit Together"- O Town. Man I wanted these guys to be big. Erik Estrada just drips with cool, and I always thought Dan Miller was a good singer. However, as I've said before, these guys have the worst hair quite possibly of any band ever. People forget that long before P. Diddy and his thug teenagers in NYC, O-Town was on the original "Making the Band" in 2000. I really wanted these guys to do well, but time was not a friend for O-Town as they caught the boy band wave too late and eventually broke up in 2003. Bonus points for the hot chicks on the party boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsgCeCEKixo

"Mr. Telephone Man"- New Edition. THE ORIGINAL boy band and YES Devon still looks like Ralph Tresvant even though he is 15 years old here.....LOL! This video cracks me up on so many levels. I love how they are talking to these two goofy telephone workers, and the white guy just stereotypes white people everywhere. Also, while it was never proven or even talked about, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Bobby Brown was already on drugs at 17 (his age in the video). Seriously, I realize it was 1984, but look at the way he looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdxdr9pNnw

"Valentine Girl"- New Kids On The Block. Most people forget that New Kids were formed by New Edition founder Maurice Starr who wanted to make "A New Edition with white kids". This video, taken from their 1990 World Tour, shows how big they really were, and alot of people forget that for around 2 years, New Kids on the Block were the #1 act in the world. I always liked this song just because they actually let Danny sing. I have said several times that if New Kids on the Block would have come along a little later, they would have been the biggest group in history. I am glad they are doing well now and back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0CXBOiER_k

Bonus Video- "Please Don't Girl"- New Kids On The Block- just watch, you'll see why it's funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8LJKIyxmqM
The original boy band
I see these guys and I feel like I need to get an interpreter
4 cool guys and a blonde headed goob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons