Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 51................."1, 2, Let's Play Zoo"

With summer camp in the air, field trips to zoos across America as well as the favorite camp game "zoo". People have long been obsessed with animals (including myself) and while everyone isn't dressing up like Pandas and skateboarding in the streets of Tokyo, many bands make themselves animals, and it works to make them cool...........most of the time.

In order to be considered in this category, the band or artist name had to be the same of animal (even if the animal correlation isn't inferred in the name or the act). Also receiving votes in this category was "Heart Full Of Soul" by the Yardbirds, "Turn Turn Turn" by The Byrds, and "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield.

"Daylight Fading"- Counting Crows. Yes, I'm aware this song isn't on "August and Everything After", but I've always been a pretty big fan of "Recovering the Satellites", while it wasn't as popular with the critics, I always loved this song as well as the entire album. Does anyone think Adam Duritz shaved or had a haircut between the video for "Mr. Jones" and this video? In the always funny "music video irony" department, there is no daylight anywhere in this video......plenty of stars though. Mason, I'd love to see you do this song live sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKlOOhG2sA

"The Bad Touch"- The Bloodhound Gang. This one explains itself. I think it's hilarious they filmed this video in Paris. I've actually tried to do this one karaoke twice.........really hard. Does anyone think that lead singer Jimmy Pop looks like Mike O'Malley?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k

"Murda Was The Case"- Snoop Dogg. Calvin "Snoop Dogg" Broadus shot his street cred to exponential heights during his murder trial of 1993. This song was the title track from the "soundtrack" to his 1994 short film music video of the same name. Snoop Dogg's music was usually borderline comical, but this is without a doubt his darkest song to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2OpFMBReg

"Regulate"- Nate Dogg and Warren G. Fresh off the heights of success and popularity after the Snoop Dogg murder trial as well as the worldwide success of "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle", Death Row made a huge splash with the 1994 soundtrack to the Tupac Shakur basketball movie "Above The Rim". While this song is a borderline candidate for the list "Great Song, Terrible Movie", just due the huge mediocrity of the movie despite Tupac and Leon giving a great peformances. For the record, I believe Nate Dogg may have been the first person in the history of music to SING (not rap) the line "about to make some bodies turn cold", just going out on a limb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

"Love Will Keep Us Alive"- The Eagles. With their 1994 tour and live album "Hell Freezes Over" (in response to the chances of them ever getting back together after they had broken up "for good" 15 years earlier), and it gives Timothy Schmit, or as I call him "the forgotten Eagle" one of his few lead vocal chances and a great shot at 15 minutes of fame for a bass player. I am also now taking a pool for anyone who can guess the total amount of liters of haircare products Don Henley used before this concert. I'm gonna start the over/under line at 500. Does Glen Frey even wanna be there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaE20CaQy0

"Just About Right"- Blackhawk. Van Stephenson was one of the best country music songwriters and guitar players before his death in 2001 from skin cancer, and this was always my favorite Blackhawk song. Blackhawk (as in all their videos) would always win the award for the group trying hardest to lip sync but not look like they are lip syncing. I see this video and I can't help but think that country music, like r/b, was much better in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eauvh5v2ZLU

"People Are Strange"- Echo and the Bunnymen. Wow, another candidate for the "Great Song, Horrible Movie" list. This song from the 1987 vomit inducing movie "Lost Boys" makes for a great song by these guys from Liverpool. Also, as referenced in the video, this is a COVER SONG originally recorded by the Doors in 1967. See, even before the "Twilight" series, vampire movies were horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sj3FbfuFV8

"Pleasant Valley Sunday"- The Monkees. Just in case you all didn't know and for all of you novices out there, the Monkees didn't really play instruments. At least try to fool someone guys. Actually, alot of music critics have called the Spice Girls "a female Monkees of the 1990's". Anyone who tells me Mickey Dolenz is actually playing the drums right there will be called a damn liar by me- sorry I don't buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0

"Last Stop: This Town"- The Eels. The lead singer calls himself "E" and sings to a carrot clone of himself........yeah, he's weird. Still, I really like this song. This band would be right up there with Live as a band that "seems like they are British, but really are American". Bonus points for the bass part sang by the carrot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TfqbuTBqX8

"Kiss From a Rose"- Seal. Wow, a 3rd nominee for the "Great Song, Horrible Movie" list- and I didn't even do it on purpose! This song was actually recorded by Seal before this horrifyingly bad movie came out in 1995. I'm taking away points though for Seal singing by the bat signal and it not being used for an emergency- Batman doesn't like false alarms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMD2TwRvuoU

"I Don't Need A Man"- The Pussycat Dolls. Ok I have just spent 20 minutes watching this video. I am in love with Nicole Scherzinger. She seriously might be the sexiest woman alive. I'm done with words, just watch this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBsEF7Qx09o

"Heavy Things"- Phish. I never said the animal had to be spelled correctly. I think Peter Jennings does a great job comparing Phish to the Grateful Dead. While I've always been a casual (and I do stress the word CASUAL) Phish fan, Trey Anastasio is for my money one of the best front men in music just due to the way he commands the stage with such ease. While this song is really simple compared to most Phish songs, the licks they use make this song that much more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAC9DzV-tGs

"The What If's"- Jaguar Wright. I still remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I ever heard of Jaguar Wright. I was standing in Snake's pool hall in Hattiesburg with some friends from class after taking our final earlier that day. My good friend and former exotic dancer Cristina Barnes was talking to me about Jaguar just because we were talking about the new neo-soul movement of the early 2000's. I have always wanted to thank Cristina for that, but I never saw her again and haven't heard from her since, so wherever you are out there, thanks Cristina. I love how Jaguar can be powerful and soulful and very feminine and beautiful in her own individualistic way and not be the media darling with the smoke and mirror looks- very real. My only knock on this video is that is pretty cookie cutter if you look at most R & B videos between 1999 and 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtPN3Zd-TU

"Pour Some Sugar On Me"- Def Leppard. I was torn between this song and "Photograph", but I settled on this 1987 instant rock classic that is in the running for best song of the 1980's. Steve Clark was one of the best guitar players of the arena rock era along with Poison's C.C. Deville. Yes, I love Def Leppard, but let's just observe a few things. First of all, Phil Collem sticks out like a sore thumb and always did just because he didn't have the cool flowing hair. Rick Allen never ceases to amaze me- what a story! And, like always, I am begging these guys to put shirts on. Nothing about that looks cool. Seriously, if Def Leppard would put some dang clothes on they might be my favorite 80's rock band. I love that "Pour Some Sugar On Me" wasn't even expected to be a big hit off of Def Leppard's 1987 mega album "Hysteria". Never know until you try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6652YIBzByk

"Hey Jude"- The Beatles. The hardest part was finding just one...........but I settled on the best Beatles song ever. The original name of this song was "Hey Jules" and was written for Julian Lennon by Paul McCartney as a way to cheer him up after his parents 1968 divorce due to his affair with Yoko Ono. Saw this one performed live in 2002.........incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD3ovfZXO5Q

BONUS VIDEO- "Kokomo"- The Muppets. Everyone's favorite animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qReKppA71DE
the original dawg
haircuts anyone?
sorry, I wasn't paying attention what did you say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons