Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 46..................."And Your Bird Can Sing"

While watching Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on "Saturday Night Live" last weekend, I thought of this idea that how many groups actually have "And the" in their name, and what makes the person in the front so special? Also, who decides what the people in the background get to be? Maybe those guys didn't want to be heartbreakers- or does their track record say otherwise? Anyway, in order to be considered for this list the act had to have "AND THE" in the name- pretty simple.

Also receiving votes in this category were "Shake Your Booty" by KC and the Sunshine Band, "Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby and the Range, "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos and "Get Low" by Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz.

"Walking On Sunshine"- Katrina and the Waves. Katrina and the Waves came across the pond in the "Second British Invasion" of the early 80's, but had little impact other than this catchy song in 1985. However, Katrina herself is American who was living in England when the band formed, so it was almost like a "homecoming" for her. I like this song and this video, but why are they walking around on a gloomy day? I thought they were supposed to be walking on sunshine? Oh yeah, never mind, they are in England- the sun never shines there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

"Do You Believe In Love"- Huey Lewis and the News. I have to admit I used to think my dad was a super loser for being such a big Huey Lewis fan. I remember he tried to give me "Fore!" one time and I didn't even want it. Now either I'm a loser or I was just stupid because I love this song from their 1982 album "Picture This". Someone please tell me why Huey Lewis always looks like he's gonna fall over when he holds a microphone though- is he just that uncoordinated? Also, why wake the poor woman up screaming the song in her ear- let her sleep for crying out loud! Bonus points for Huey Lewis looking right in the camera when he sings the words "I wanna love you all over".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETvxCQAa1M

"Into The Great Wide Open"- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. One of the most underrated rock bands and singers ever. I remember the first time I saw this video, but didn't realize at the time the star power that appears in this video. I guess it's tough because Johnny Depp actually appears as a normal person in this video, and we all know that's not what he's known for! LOL! Tom Petty apparently also wasn't past his "Don't Come Around Here No More" mad hatter persona here either- and then Johnny Depp played the Mad Hatter in the latest version of "Alice in Wonderland".......freaky. I have to think that budget was low when they cast Gabrielle Anwar opposite Johnny Depp here- never a huge fan of hers. Also, how stupid is Faye Dunaway's role in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmFxgEGKH0

"The Living Years"- Mike and the Mechanics. Alot of people think this song is by Genesis, but they would be incorrect. Mike and the Mechanics was the side project for Mike Rutherford, a member of Genesis. This song was inspired by lead singer's Paul Carrack's father passing away suddenly of a heart attack when he was 11 years old. This will be the only group on our list and maybe the only group ever with "and the" in the title where the person appearing ahead of "and the" isn't the lead singer. Think about it........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

"You Had a Bad Day"- Alvin and the Chipmunks. Ok before you start complaining, notice that NOWHERE in the requirements for this list did I say the group had to be real.........or even be humans so this song from the 2007 movie's opening credits "squeaks" into the list. Also, because we all know the Daniel Powter version, this song is technically a cover song......and we all know how much I love those! I wish they would have made a real video for this song- always been my chipmunks favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4dZyIEiMs

"Diamonds and Pearls"- Prince and The New Power Generation. Wow! I get bonus points for actually finding a Prince video on youtube that he hasn't removed! In 1991, Prince in one of his many identity crises, decided to start crediting his backup band on his albums, and with the album "Diamonds and Pearls" of that year, he officially credited his act as "Prince and the New Power Generation". Interesting fact about this song- Prince is actually singing about LOVE in this song........not, um, the other "L word". This song just shows how open he was to featuring his band on this album with the near duet vocals of NPG member Rosie Gaines. Funny how the song talks about "a happy boy or a girl" but no one in the video seems happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu9mMIba0kk

"At This Moment"- Billy Vera and the Beaters. Most people remember this song from the one hit wonder group Billy Vera and the Beaters with it's memorable appearance on "Family Ties" in 1986 (I actually do- was one of my favorite shows as a youngster), but Billy Vera can actually thank Michael J. Fox for bringing the song back to life as it was originally released in 1981 to very little success. I remember my parents playing the CRAP out of this song when I was little. I'm actually kinda surprised that they weren't bigger than just that one hit, as they have a huge jazz club following in California. Great song- great performance here. I really wish the "Family Ties" clip was on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRaJvn0eow

"Cherish"- Kool and the Gang. Bonus points for Deon Richmond being in the video- Kenny on "The Cosby Show", or as Rudy called him, "Bud". This is a great song, and I've always like Robert Bell's voice, but this video is beyond cheezy. Seriously, could they be any worse acting than this? I think part of it is that in 1984 Kool and the Gang realized they were on the way out as their funk/disco roots were obsolete and they were trying to become a R&B ballad group. I gotta give it to them, it almost worked..........almost. I see this video and I feel like I should buy these guys some activator to go along with those jheri curls- no one could rock a jheri curl like Kool and the Gang! Ha, as cheezy as these guys are, they are still one of my top 5 bands I'd love to see live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09LuDYX12g

I remember my dad having this cassette tape
why did they put Rosie Gaines in the background?
wait a minute.....aren't you an American?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons