Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 50.............."Dream A Little Dream Of Me"

Most of you know of my crazy dreams that I love to talk about (including the one about Bill Cosby and the multinational multi stop plane ride or the one about GI Joe), or the dreams that we all have or that I have recently put on hold, or maybe even changed. Whether funny night time entertainment or a lifelong career goal, dreams are some of the most powerful things we ever come in contact with, we just sometimes don't realize it. Dreams have been a powerful inspiration for music over the years, and sometimes an artist pours all of their inner soul into writing about their dreams, other times they just make us laugh and sing along.

To be considered in this category, a song had to have the word "dream" somewhere in the SONG TITLE. Also receiving votes in this category were "Dreaming Of You" by Selena, "Dreams" by Van Halen, "Fever Dreams" by Dashboard Confessional

"Am I Dreaming"- Xscape, 'Ol Skool and Keith Sweat. Great song and great video featuring the lovely Kandi Burruss. However, I never was really impressed with the other members of Xscape as far as looks, but man those girls sound like angels when they sing! I really like this song and I have to admit I really like this album, 1998's "Traces of My Lipstick", but there is one huge problem with this song.......Keith Sweat. Not only did he have to put himself in the video (he was the producer of the entire album), he had to put his "up and coming" group 'Ol Skool in the video and then ruin it by opening his mouth. As the great Bruce Bruce once said, "Keith Sweat sounds like a mosquito you just wanna slap out of your ear". Very well put in my opinion. Bonus points for the late Lisa Lopes being in this video, and HUGE bonus points for whoever that is as the "main character"- good grief she is fine. Anyway, this song epitomizes 90's R & B for the awesomeness that it had. Great song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0ceAvtFd8

"You Make My Dreams Come True"- Hall and Oates. Does John Oates ever sing? Interesting question, but that always made me think they were weird, why not just be called Hall and the Oates or something? Anyway, this song closed out 1980's "Voices" for Hall and Oates in summer of 1981 and led right into their next mega hit album "Private Eyes" in 1982. I'm taking away points for the way the bass player and drummer are dressed........that is just ridiculous. However, I'll add more points for John Oates' mustache- I always thought it was fake or he was just a really good shaver. Also- all we see are hands- who is playing the keyboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz2W3QfXnHc

"Sweet Dreams"- Beyonce. Not a big fan of this song (but it is growing on me).......but I don't think Beyonce really has to push hard to get on any of my lists. Still one of the most beautiful women alive. However, I gotta give Beyonce props for trying to do a different kind of song. This song has more of a dance feel, the first time I heard this song I thought Beyonce was singing a Shakira song. Sorry, zoned out for a second- I was hypnotized by those hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlxByc0-V40

"Dreams"- Boyz II Men. I'm kinda surprised I have never used this song here. We all know how much I love Boyz II Men and how I think some of their lesser known songs are some of their best. This one is no different. Added on 2000's "Nathan Michael Shawn Wanya", this song just shows the smooth sounds Boyz II Men can be capable of and shows that they are not simply Babyface puppets. I never understood how this album was not more popular- some of my favorite Boyz II Men songs are on that album. However, it would be Boyz II Men's last album on Universal/Motown before jumping ship to Arista Records in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwL14yoW9Q

"Dreams"- Fleetwood Mac. Ok I realize I featured this song recently on "Lois Einhorn Is a MAN!", but Stevie Nicks deserves another look as well as this song. Something about this song makes me wanna relax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

"Dream A Little Dream Of Me"- Mama Cass and The Mamas and The Papas. In 1968, most people knew that the breakup of the Mamas and the Papas was imminent. So, in order to push one of their last singles before breaking up, Dunhill Records actually pushed the song as being by "Mama Cass and the Mamas and the Papas" (and also featured it on Cass Elliott's first solo album later that same year) since it was basically a solo for the late Cass Elliott. I am not sure where this performance is from, but I really wish Cass would have picked something better to wear. However, I'm gonna throw in some bonus points for this song being a cover of a 1931 Ozzie Nelson hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZfKcYlefE

"Dream On"- Aerosmith. Throw in an awesome song and a memorable live performance from MTV's 10th anniversary celebration and you get a truly memorable music moment. Nothing I can say does this one justice- you just have to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Qd9VR1gD8

"Shattered Dreams"- Johnny Hates Jazz. We have a new record!!!!!! Johnny Hates Jazz has just shattered (no pun intended) a "Late Night Music" record by going 49 entries between being mentioned- congratulations guys. This UK version of their one and only hit was supposed to be better, but it seems like it's worse in color. Lead singer Clark Datchler looks like he's in high school and is quite possibly the worst dancer of the 80's......yikes. I'm taking away points for the stupid billboard and the stupid ballerina. Anyone who can tell me the theme/meaning of this video gets to choose a topic at a future date. I'm confused just watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-8MHKuQ5I&a

"These Dreams"- Heart. Ok, I am going to admit FAIL on this one. I have had probably 8-9 lists I could have included Heart on and they have yet to appear on any of them until now (seriously, HOW did I leave them off of "Pass Me The Puck, I'm A Canuck"?!?!?!?!?!?.....wat
er under the bridge). Nancy and Ann Wilson rock hard despite it being a power ballad. I love how Nancy Wilson comes out with smoke, hair blowing, and kicking with a guitar like she is a goddess of rock- tons of bonus points! Also, I think the Wilson sisters were two of the few women who actually looked cool with those hairstyles in the 1980's- even though they were in style they still looked ridiculous. Even my mom had one! Just not as long.......ha. You all know I love female lead singers, but don't you think the guys in Heart got made fun of alot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QXsXdh66oE

"Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)"- Eurythmics. I hate this song, I just know you all would be pissed if it wasn't on here. Annie Lennox looks like a demon and is quite possibly the ugliest woman to ever be in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg

BONUS VIDEO- "All I Have To Do Is Dream"- The Everly Brothers- clips from the Rodney Dangerfield cult comedy classic "Ladybugs"- if you've never seen it check it out- one of my closet favorites. Not to make fun of the deceased, but Jonathan Brandis was one of those guys you just wanted to slap. What a dork!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJiUAa2NSI
I can't believe I've left them off for so long!
Love Kandi Burruss!
the world's most amazing mustache!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons