Sunday, August 01, 2010

Late Night Music Part 55........."When I Go To The Bathroom I Always Sit On Elton's John"

Even though we like to make fun of our parents for being dorky, nosy, and going to bed after "Wheel of Fortune", I have always been glad that my parents really enjoyed good music. One of the main artists I got into growing up because of them was without a doubt Elton John. I liked the fact that I didn't just get the "radio" version of Elton John either- I got the albums, the B-sides, and the forgotten songs that showed just how great Elton John was. As I grew older, I got more into him and have found his music nothing short of mesmerizing with his partnership with Bernie Taupin being one of the best combos in the history of music. I also think it's encouraging because as great as Elton John was, he was never able to write lyrics. Just goes to show that even the most talented individuals aren't perfect- they are human. I also have really liked the fact that Elton has been able to stick around for so long even with all of this problems in the 1980's- true case of longevity. While this list does contain a few songs that were released as singles (obviously that didn't do well on the charts), this list is songs that are completely new to the casual Elton John fan. However, only one song per album is allowed.

Also receiving votes in this category were "Chameleon", "Club At The End of the Street", "Salvation", "This Song Has No Title", "Blues For Baby And Me" and "The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909-1934)"

"Cage The Songbird". In 1976, Elton was nearing the end of this biggest era ever of worldwide dominance of the music scene, but had one more dark, more serious album in him with that year's release of "Blue Moves", which is one of his true fan's favorite albums just due to the experimental nature of the album. Other songs on this album that were considered were "Tonight", "Theme from a non-existent TV Series", "One Horse Town", and "Boogie Pilgrim". George Michael would later do a phenomenal version of "Tonight" (actually, here it is- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvsOme30T8) for the "Two Rooms" tribute album. However, "Cage The Songbird" has always been my favorite on this album. The song is a fictional account of the final hours and eventual suicide of former French super star musician Edith Piaf. The odd part about the fictional story is that Piaf actually died of liver cancer in 1963. Many people compared this song to "Candle In The Wind", but as you can see, it is much more dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQPyLXRyX0

"One More Arrow". Most people have read the much publicized fall in the early-mid 80's EJ had due to health issues and drug/alcohol problems as well as his short hiatus from Bernie Taupin. However, in the summer of 1983, Bernie Taupin returned and EJ released his one 80's gem album "Too Low For Zero", which featured the super mega hit "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" which featured Stevie Wonder. One of my favorite albums ever, it closes with this great piano song that tributes a friend who has passed on. Very good live version here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfPA88WElk

"Come Down In Time". Elton really burst onto the scene in 1970 for a follow up from his "debut" album (we'll talk about that in a minute) with "Tumbleweed Connection", with almost a country feel. Some of his better lesser known songs like "Where To Now St. Peter?", "Ballad of a Well Known Gun", "My Father's Gun", and "Country Comfort" made this album incredible. However, the one real non "country" feel song on the album, "Come Down In Time" has always been very special to me. The song is Bernie Taupin's own account of growing up with a stuttering problem and trying to meet women. Elton arranged it perfectly. Also, Sting did a phenomenal cover also on the "Two Rooms" album- here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6MMbjxUkM).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYgHQluatY

"High Flying Bird". In 1972, EJ was one of the biggest, if not the biggest solo act in the world. His 1972 multi platinum album "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" took the world by storm with singles like "Daniel", "Crocodile Rock", "Elderberry Wine", and "Teacher, I Need You". Honestly though, none of those compare with "Blues For Baby And Me", which would have been a slam dunk had it not been for probably my favorite Elton John song of all time, "High Flying Bird". Here it is performed live at Elton John's 60th birthday concert in Madison Square Garden. It simply does not get any better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0_LMJ7msI

"We All Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains". After the success of 1973's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", which many people consider Elton John's greatest album ever, he wanted to match that success in 1975 with immediately releasing "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" right after his "Greatest Hits" album. One of the famous things about "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was the opening "segue" of "Funeral For A Friend" and "Love Lies Bleeding", which are counted as one song. EJ did the opposite by ending "Captain Fantastic" with a segue that became a cult favorite. Great live version of it here. Opening piano part might be his best of all his ballads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBWYfsCeC4

"Razor Face". I have to admit that the first time I heard this song was on the soundtrack of the movie "Moonlight Mile" (which featured alot of Elton John music), and I have to admit was one of the most disappointing movies of the last 10 years, but nonetheless, I really liked the song that was included on the 1971 album "Madman Across the Water". Here is a live version from around that time. Most people don't know it, but this song is about an old gay male who has returned to town looking for a young boyfriend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWkOL4Fuq4

"Ticking". Closing song off of EJ's 1974 album "Caribou", while it was a good album (included "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"), I always thought of it as a "filler" album. Some EJ fans disagree. However, the album ended with this surprisingly sinister and dark song about a mass murderer who is killed by police- one of EJ's sadder songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQl5LKSi64

"White Lady White Powder". Live performance from his very famous free concert in Central Park in 1980. This song was included on the 1980 album "21 at 33" (one of my favorites), and the studio version had the members of the Eagles Don Henley, Glen Frey, and Joe Walsh singing background vocals. I guess "Hell Froze Over" for them to do that song seeing how they broke up the year before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqaWuz0fzEg

"Healing Hands". In 1989, Elton had hit rock bottom, and in all honesty looked like complete crap. It was almost sad to see. However, his 1989 album "Sleeping With The Past" did make a little bit of noise with his first ever British #1 single "Sacrifice" coming off the album. The album also included one of my favorite EJ songs to listen to in the car just because it's fun to sing along to. I didn't even realize a video was made for this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJxSrblQMs

"The Scaffold". In 1969 Elton John recorded his "debut" album "Empty Sky" but it was independently released and had limited availability before being re-released in 1975 by MCA Records. Most people think 1970's "Elton John" was his debut album, and while it was his MAJOR LABEL debut, EJ was no stranger to a recording studio at that point. Alot of the songs on this album are pretty "Hendrix-esque" but this ballad snuck it's way on to the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSMwts2usg

"If The River Can Bend". I had the pleasure of seeing this song performed live in November 1997 when I saw Elton John live at the Pyramid in Memphis, Tennessee- man what a great show! As Bette Weir knows by now, my parents unwittingly bought me tickets for the concert not realizing it was the same weekend as our big Gulf Coast choral competition. We made up this big story about my grandparents anniversary celebration, and nonetheless I was excused from the competition, got my A, and still saw Elton John. Thanks for not killing me Bette. This song from "The Big Picture" is another of Elton's "gospel" songs that he spreads from album to album. This song was incredible live- the video really doesn't do it justice. The funny thing is that I, like most fans really enjoyed "The Big Picture" but Bernie Taupin said it is his least favorite album ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTZAGp5hM8

"Someday Out Of The Blue". The fact that I actually sat in the theater alone and watched this movie in 1999 really makes some people worry about me. Yes, I paid money to go and see Dreamworks "The Road To El Dorado", and as you can imagine, I didn't have a date. In fact, I was the oldest person in the theater who was not a parent. To make matters worse, the movie really wasn't that good, but I always liked this song. I think the movie not doing well kinda thwarted this song being bigger than it should have been. Bonus points for Elton John being a cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1R_xDJVKMw

"I've Seen That Movie Too". Those of you who have been my facebook friend a while should know that I've used this song on more than one occasion as my status. Still, for my money, one of the best songs Elton ever sang, and without a doubt my favorite song on "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". I know alot of people who should listen to this song, as many women I've met in my life could use it's advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYBKcuWowM

BONUS VIDEO- "Roy Rogers". I know I said only one song per album, but this one is too great to pass up. Some of the best lyrics Elton ever sang are in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJurH2LG1XI

The Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across The Water
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Caribou
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Blue Moves
21 at 33
Too Low For Zero
Sleeping With The Past
The Big Picture
The Road To El Dorado

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons