Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Late Night Music Part 99.........."Hippety Hop"

People have told me a few times lately that I never have enough rap on here and that I'm not even a hip hop "fan". That is totally not true, but I do admit that not a lot of hip hop songs fit into a lot of my categories. However, here is my attempt to gain some street cred by making my first ever hip hop list.

Also receiving votes in this category were "I Wish" by Skee-Lo, "Slam" by Onyx, "How's It Going Down?" by DMX, "Throw Some D's On It" by Rich Boy, "Area Codes" by Ludacris, "Damn" by the Youngbloodz, and "Arab Money" by Busta Rhymes. NOT RECEIVING VOTES was anything by Drake- sorry guys, he REALLY sucks. Also, Kanye West was disqualified just because he's a douche. Also due to their Super Bowl halftime show sucking, the Black Eyed Peas were disqualified. Also, Ja Rule was disqualified just because- do I really have to explain?

"Dynamite"- Taio Cruz. Our friend from England here tricks me and makes me think I'm watching a trailer for "Fast Five". This song from Taio Cruz's album "Rokkstar" peaked last year at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and hit #1 in several countries. For the record, I really like this song and I really like the acapella version by Mike Tompkins (I smell a bonus video). I think Taio is a pretty good singer, but he looks like he mentally handicapped yet still gets all these beautiful women in his video. Must be the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjdiDeJ0xg

"DJ Got Us Falling In Love"- Usher featuring Pitbull. Pitbull being on this song ALMOST takes it off the list. However, this song from Usher's latest album "Versus" is one of my favorite Usher tracks ever. This song surprisingly flew under the radar to peak at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Usher is one of those guys I can never really really get into, but then he has joints like this that make you wanna listen. I hate how he does that. I will also venture to say that Usher might be the best dancer since Michael Jackson. Bonus points for the time freeze in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dvTjK_07c

"I'm Single"- Lil' Wayne. Yes, I know Lil' Wayne has many other popular songs, but this one has always been my favorite just because it's so different. Also, let me say I AM A FAN OF LIL' WAYNE!!!!! However, despite me being a fan, I really think he's very overrated. To call him "the most talented rapper ever" is pretty stupid and to call him a "heartfelt poet" is even more stupid. People forget rap pioneers so quick it's ridiculous. Anyway, this song's remix was released on the remix album "No Ceilings" but featured Drake- that version you won't see here. This version was never released as a single and was featured on Lil' Wayne's 2010 album "I Am Not A Human Being". This song has always been popular among Lil' Wayne fans, and is one of the few songs I've seen in my life that wasn't a single but still has a music video. This video will also go down as the most ghetto video I've seen in a long time. This song is also dedicated to Amir Wilson- he knows why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dvTjK_07c

"Rodeo"- Juvenile.This song from Juvenile's album "Reality Check" is without a doubt my favorite song by him. This song is actually really deep and showed that Juvenile is capable of writing really profound (yes I said profound) lyrics. This song never got as much pub as his other songs. Quietly, this song climbed to #41 on the Billboard Hot 100. Bonus points for obvious reasons on this video, I am just actually really surprised that the dancers and club owners allowed footage of actual dancers in the club. I realize it's a world famous club but WOW. Also, bonus points for the sample track of R Kelly's "Bump and Grind" on this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ATUCocIyc

"Sweat"- Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg lives most guys fantasies on a pretty regular basis. Note to all my friends- I pretty much want a bachelor party like this video. This lead single off of "Doggumentary" was actually more successful in the remix version. I know most people would disagree, but I think Snoop's most recent stuff that hasn't been as successful on the charts is actually better than his early Death Row stuff. I am sure I'm in the minority on that one, but this song right here is banging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf6jkp8bwQ

"Tip Drill"- Nelly. This video made waves as being one of the most edited and controversial videos of all time. And even a guy who likes women as much as me thinks this one is overboard. This track was featured on Nelly's 2003 remix album "Da Derrty Versions- The Reinventions". I've never been much of a Nelly fan, and yeah this song is a guilty pleasure, but I'm pretty entertained by the fact that Nelly had a song on the country charts less than a year later. I'm taking away bonus points for the inclusion of the St. Lunatics on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf6jkp8bwQ

"Buy You A Drank"- T-Pain featuring Young Joc. This song shot to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 in 2007 off of T-Pain's second album "Epiphany" and, despite being played to death by virtually every radio station, put T-Pain at the top of the mainstream music scene. I have to admit that I always liked T-Pain's mixture of rap (even if it is Young Joc) and his studio correction of his voice. He's the most creative artist I've ever seen in that regard, just must be pretty hard to do live. I'm taking away bonus points in this video for the same scene being shown over and over again. I think T-Pain really don't know where he wanted to go with this video. Almost seems rushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tX9hOSftk

"In A Daze"- JBar featuring Soulja Boy. I really hate to admit that I like a song that features Soulja Boy, but this song that I heard for the first time at Electric Cowboy last week is straight banging. This single will be featured on the upcoming debut album for JBar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXZGGt2B82o

"Regulate"- Nate Dogg and Warren G. Probably my favorite rap song ever. Bonus points immediately for the late Nate Dogg. This song and the soundtrack album for the 1994 movie "Above The Rim" was one of the last big hit for Death Row Records, and is one of the most successful soundtrack album of all time. Despite featuring Tupac, the movie was pretty forgettable and this song is a nominee for the "Great Song, Horrible Movie" list that I featured in 2009. Like the album, this single hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the summer of 1994. The track was also featured on Warren G's debut album "Regulate...G Funk Era", but Warren G never gained the fame that he gained on this track, partially due to the decline of Death Row Record after the death of Tupac in 1996. More bonus points for the sample of "I Keep Forgetting" by Michael McDonald.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

"Today Was A Good Day"- Ice Cube. Bonus points immediately for being one of only 2 rap songs I've ever had as my status more than once (the other being "Rodeo"), but I'm gonna take em right back for Ice Cube's jheri curl being gone. It had to have been one of the best in the history of rap music from his days in NWA. I love how Stan Verrett on ESPN uses the line "messed around and got a triple double" in a lot of his basketball highlights on Sportscenter. I would be willing to bet that most people don't get it. This song was featured on Ice Cube's 1993 album "The Predator" and peaked at #15 on the Billboard Hot 100. Again more bonus points for the sample on this one. Probably the best one so far with "Footsteps In The Dark" by the Isley Brothers. I love how Ice Cube was one of the most hard core gangster rappers in history, and now makes family friendly films. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQRwaF5p8o

"Black And Yellow"- Wiz Khalifa. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Wiz Khalifa is quite possibly the only rapper ever born in Alaska- just going out on a limb on that one. I've never been a Steelers, Pirates, or Penguins fan, but I like how this song has become the unofficial theme song of the teams and the city. This song from his album "Rolling Papers" hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw

"99 Problems"- Jay-Z. I had a hard time picking which Jay-Z song to use, but I had to use the song that usually reminds me the most of my life. This track was featured on his critically acclaimed 2004 mega album "The Black Album". While this song only peaked at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100, it's probably Jay-Z's most popular song behind "Empire State Of Mind". The song won the Grammy for Best Rap Performance in 2005, and the video was nominated for the Best Video VMA the same year. Bonus points for album producer Rick Rubin making a cameo in the video as the old white guy in the car. He is also mentioned near the end of the track "you're crazy for this one Rick".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk

"Not Afraid"- Eminem. I'm just glad to hear a song where Eminem doesn't complain about his life. He would be so much better if that's all he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s

"Stay Fly"- 3 6 Mafia. I always laugh thinking about the time I met these guys. Not only were they hammered, they were absolute idiots. This song from their 2005 album "Most Known Unknown" was their catapult into mainstream fame hitting #13 on the Billboard Hot 100, and still remaining their signature song.This video just makes me laugh- these guys are pretty good rappers, but they just LOOK like idiots. Also bonus points for how much you laugh at all the lyrics edited out on this version. Might be a record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjzAdpZzf0

"Hustlin'"- Rick Ross. This debut single from Rick Ross in 2006 is my theme song for life. Bonus points for his beard- might be the best in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9TouRnO84

"1, 2, 3, 4, (Sumpin' New)"- Coolio. Coolio rode the wave of fame from his worldwide mega hit "Gangsta's Paradise" by releasing the album of the same name and featuring the single on the soundtrack of the 1995 movie "Dangerous Minds". This follow up single reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1996. I always thought this was one of the better rap songs to dance to, and I tell ya, I really think Coolio is pretty comical, but he's a really good rapper. He's one of the more articulate rappers but still keeps his persona in his music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udj1E7muOdg

"So Fresh So Clean"- Outkast. I used to think "Stankonia" was the best rap album ever made (and it is still one of the best ever), and this was without a doubt my favorite song, which was featured for a short time on my cell phone voicemail. This song is so freaking cool. While it didn't reach the top of the charts like other Outkast songs, it still did ok topping out at #30. I hate that there is no video available for this song, because this music video, like most Outkast videos is freaking hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IADdGzHreFQ

"Miami"- Will Smith. This song when the award for the one that got stuck in my head the most. Will Smith shows in this video that while he drips with cool, he can NOT dance. I don't feel so bad any more. Bonus points for Eva Mendes, his future "Hitched" co-star, making one of her first professional appearances in the video. This video won the VMA for Best Male Video in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHdmt9FxlYo

"U Can't Touch This"- MC Hammer. You know knew every word..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

"What You Know?"- T.I.. Bonus points right off the bat for Mike Epps!!!!!!!! This song accompanied T.I. in the 2006 film and acting debut of T.I., "ATL" and was also featured on his album "King". This song went to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and I have to admit is my favorite all time pre game song to ever play. Anyone who ever played in an intramural championship game that I was a part of would know this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJW-rkVKFE

"6 Feet Deep"- Geto Boys. Seeing Bushwick Bill from the Geto Boys and listening to these guys is proof that ANYONE and yes I mean ANYONE can strike it lucky and throw together a decent rap career in the United States. These guys were quite possibly the most overrated rap group ever, and I think used the gimmick of Bushwick Bill to make them even semi famous. Despite that, this is a decent song and it gets bonus points for sampling "Easy" by the Commodores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwEgYyvlW5U

"Crossroads"- Bone Thugs N' Harmony. Honestly, I hate this song and this group. I put it on here just because I know someone would complain if I didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9IXAJg4Vm0

"Forgot About Dre"- Dr. Dre featuring Eminem. People wanna act like I forgot about Dre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5a93wABHNM

"Hail Mary"- 2pac. Ok I know you were worried. There is no way in the world I would leave off Tupac, still to me the best rapper ever. This single was the final single from his final completed studio album during his life "Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory" which was released under what was to be 2pac's new stage name, Makaveli. This was without a doubt his darkest video, and one of his darkest songs on an album that was probably his most emotional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgjA5NLFjKM

"Like A Pimp"- David Banner featuring Lil' Flip. Yeah.....um.....about that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGQ5cIw_ew

BONUS VIDEO- "Dynamite"- Mike Tompkins. Just proof that hip hop music can be really diverse despite what people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCLQaTFXx0

best rapper ever
The Black Album
bring back the jheri curl!

1 Comments:

Blogger toytoy2583 said...

No Drake, huh?? I actually like some of his music...but I will admit that he is overrated.(along with lil' wayne) Great entry though.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons