Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Late Night Music I Really Can't Sleep Edition Part 96........."Goodnight"

Ok, I once again can't sleep. This is becoming a theme now huh? Well, in an ironic twist of blogging lore, my "goodnight" version of "Late Night Music" will be written on one of the nights I've had the most trouble sleeping. It's currently 3:30am, and I'd be willing to bet I'm not asleep until 6:00am at the earliest. For heaven's sake, all I wanna do is tell myself goodnight! Anyway, this entry has been one of my favorite in recent memory just due to the amount of new bands I came across- really had a lot of fun with this one.

Obviously, in order to receive votes in this category, the song had to feature the words "Goodnight". Also receiving votes in this category were "Goodnight, Travel Well" by the Killers, "Goodnight Lullaby" by Amber Rhodes, "Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite" by The Spaniels (received bonus points for it's use in the movie "Three Men And A Baby" but damn why does it have to be so annoying?), and "Goodnight and Go" by Imogen Heap.

"Goodbye, Goodnight"- Mae. This song right here off of Mae's debut album "Destination: Beautiful" has meant so much to me and was a constant in my CD player on the way to work in Clarksville all the time. Something about this song just gets me so hyped up! I actually got into Mae while they were touring with Sherwood (speaking of them- I really need to get them back on here VERY soon!) in 2007. Mae is from Norfolk, VA and is actually an acronym for "Multi-Sensory Aestethic Experience". "Destination:Beautiful" was released in 2003 on Tooth and Nail Records, I guess that makes Mae a Christian band, even though they didn't really know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDP6XydBBYc

"Goodnight"- The Beatles. This song closes out the 1968 masterpiece "The Beatles" also known as "The White Album". The song is a super rare recording for the Beatles for two very distinct reasons. First of all, it is one of only 9 songs that Ringo Starr sings lead vocals on. Also, it is one of very few songs that the Beatles have (I can't remember the exact number) that only ONE of the group members actually appear on. Other than Ringo's lead vocal, none of the tracks on the song were recorded by any member of the group. The song was actually written by John Lennon in early 1968 as a lullaby for his son Julian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKugx1sToY

"Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)"- Billy Joel. In 1993, Billy Joel released his last pop studio album "River Of Dreams", which was much more serious than anything he'd ever written. If you listen to Billy Joel over the years, you'll see that's he's usually super sarcastic. However, this song for his daughter Alexa Ray, is about as serious as Joel ever got in his songs. It was released as a single in 1993, but only peaked at #77 on the Billboard Hot 100. This song was pretty ironic in that it was the last pop single Joel released before his cover (COVER SONG ALERT) of Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" in 1997. By that time, Christie Brinkley had filed for divorce, and his status as a true baller had been revoked. Oh well, he was cool once upon a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcnd55tLCv8

"Goodnight Tonight"- Wings. Paul McCartney really isn't appearing twice on this list because not only is this a whole different band, he, like we said before, doesn't even appear on the Beatles recording before, so I'm counting this one. In 1979, Wings were close to ending and actually released their final album "Back To The Egg" that year. I always laugh about that one because that album was supposed to "mark a new era" for the band. Woops. Anyway, this song was actually originally intended to be included on that album, but instead was released as a stand alone single which peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. Paul McCartney does a great job of blending disco and flamenco guitar playing on this song. I guess he really wanted to experiment with different kinds of music around that time. Like most of his solo/Wings videos, this one also seems to be pretty strange. What in the world is Linda McCartney doing? Bonus points for Paul playing the bongas while his face is right by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCgueckAXE

"Tell Me Goodnight"- The Hot Lies. The Hot Lies are one of those rare bands that only released ONE full length album. This song, however was taken from their second EP "Heart Attacks and Callous Acts" in 2005. This video is really strange, and for some reason, I feel like I'm watching "The Shining" when they are running through the maze- remember that scene? I'd have to say though, that once I saw this video and heard this song, there was no doubt in my mind that The Hot Lies were from Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnOW0y52YE

"Good Night"- Nell. Ok, I have no idea what they are saying either, but Nell is one of the biggest acts in South Korea and this song was included on their 2006 worldwide smash album "Healing Process" and was voted one of the five best album releases in South Korea of that year. Nell has also been called "an Asian version of Radiohead". I don't see it. I have to admit this is a pretty cool song, just wish I knew the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk-aDfhm_t8

"Goodnight Goodnight"- Maroon 5. Adam Levine is just so freaking awesome it's almost not fair. That guy just OWNS a microphone. Also, I'd really like to see Adam Levine try his hand at acting- I really think he'd be a fantastic lead role in a drama or even romantic comedy. This song was included as the last single released from Maroon 5's smash album "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" and included this super cool video. I have to admit though, that this whole video makes me think I'm watching the movie "Sliding Doors"- or is it just me? This might be my favorite Maroon 5 song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNSBq6hvU1s

"Good Morning and Good Night"- Maggie McClure. Sometimes, while writing this blog I find new artists that just capture the imagination and then you wind up not being able to get enough of them. I've discovered some of my favorite artists ever through this blog and now I've discovered another artist I am instantly hooked on. Maggie McClure is from Norman, Oklahoma and this is the title track from her latest album. You know the Jonas Brothers have a song by the exact same name, and I think this one is 20000X better. Maggie McClure really reminds in a way of Sara Bareilles and also reminds me a little of Colbie Caillat, and to top it off, she looks like (at least to me) Sara McLachlan in the face. I absolutely freaking love this song! Check out Maggie McClure at www.maggiemcclure.com I think I'm gonna be buying some of her songs on iTunes here in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-GfXv5rmY

"Goodnight Moon"- Go Radio. Another up and coming band I've just gotten into. Go Radio is from Tallahassee, Florida. This song is from their second EP "Do Overs and Second Chances". I like this song, but if you didn't know this band was from Florida, you'd hear Jason Lancaster sing and think he was foreign- listen for yourself and tell me if I'm lying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecYVr5fv3o

BONUS VIDEOS-

"What's It Like"- Maggie McClure. Take another look at Maggie McClure in this awesome video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeZ7zqSsYI0

"Forever My Father"- Go Radio. Another video from this band from their debut LP "Lucky Street".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvLhw4ln1qI

"Goodnight Saigon"- Billy Joel. Just because he can't be on here twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjzjhl-QztE

Maggie McClure
Go Radio
Mae

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons