Saturday, March 26, 2011

Late Night Music Part 89........"More Musical Families"

Well, it's been a little over 2 years and 87 entries since I wrote the first "Musical Families" entry on here. I figured it was time to revisit one of my favorite musical enigmas. I look at family groups the same way I look at cover songs. I don't know what's so cool about them, but I just know I can't get enough of them. I better get to this list before you all start to worry about me.

In order to receive votes in this category, the ENTIRE band had to be related by blood or marriage. This would disqualify New Kids On The Block and The Dixie Chicks. Also receiving votes in this category were "Fly (The Angel Song)" by the Wilkinsons, "Close To You" by BeBe and CeCe Winans, "Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tenille, "I'm Gonna Be" by The Proclaimers and "Solid" by Ashford and Simpson.

"If I Die Young"- The Band Perry. I'm so glad I have an excuse to put this song on here! This is one of the best country songs in quite some time. These siblings from Mobile have a superstardom written all over them, as their debut self titled album shot to #2 on the charts, with this song hitting #1 on the country charts and hitting #19 on the Billboard Hot 100. I've watched this video quite a few times now, and I keep thinking that the guy she is chasing looks alot like a grown up Haley Joel Osment. Don't these guys make you proud to be a Perry, Matt? Let me also add that I'm taking away bonus points for bass player Reid Perry's hair- horrendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJqUN9TClM

"Use Somebody"- Kings of Leon. Before you jump me for putting on their "radio" song, let me add that this was the first KOL song I ever heard. I had heard people in Tennessee talk about them, but I never really got a chance to listen to them until I heard this song. I think this song may have been one of the ones they wrote "before they knew how to play instruments" as Nathan Followill put it. The more I see these guys and listen to them, I think they'd be alot of fun just to hang out with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnhXHvRoUd0

"Too Much Heaven"- The Bee Gees. In 1979 the Bee Gees were riding high on the success of "Saturday Night Fever" and were considered to be the hottest act in the world at the time. Their much anticipated follow up album "Spirits Having Flown" quickly shot to the top of the charts and sold 35 MILLION copies worldwide. This song, which went to #1 is famous for featuring the horn section from the band Chicago on it (who were actually next door in the studio recording "Hot Streets" at the time). This, however, is just another plain jane Bee Gees video. I guess the Gibb brothers wanted to show off their amazing hair and wanted that to always be the focus. I realize that music videos weren't exactly at the forefront of entertainment at the time, but to be one of the most famous groups of all time and to always make videos this bad is pretty ridiculous. If you've seen one Bee Gees video you've seen them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nREV8bQJ1MA

"Heaven"- Los Lonely Boys. The Garza brothers from San Angelo, Texas struck gold with their second single ever off of their major label debut self titled album. When it was released in 2004, it quickly climbed to #16 on the Billboard Hot 100. This song is really good, and I'd like to see these guys have a few more hits. I've seen them perform a few times on TV, most notably with Santana. Bonus points for the drummer's real name actually being Ringo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkzoqQ5Oak

"Midnight Train To Georgia"- Gladys Knight and The Pips. Most people forget that Gladys Knight was backed up by her brother and 2 cousins during her peak in the 1970's. After leaving Motown Records in 1973, they released their first album with Buddah Records "Imagination" later that same year. The song went on to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and won the 1974 Grammy for Best R&B Group Performance. Gladys Knight always had one of the best voices in music and this song still remains to this day one of her staples at her shows and her signature song. However, the dancing done by the Pips in the background might be some of the best for entertainment I've ever seen in my life. I still don't know how they didn't run into each other. Really good live performance here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-ftcqpNw

"Summer Breeze"- Isley Brothers. The Isley Brothers from Soul Train in 1973 covering the Seals and Croft song (COVER SONG ALERT!). I'm not gonna say much about this except for the fact that no one should have ever told Ronald Isley to leave his shirt unbuttoned. I just threw up in my mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkBBTOhfCQ

"Last Night's Letter"- K-Ci and JoJo. Bonus points right off the bat for filming this video in New York Harbor and for the video not being all edited later with the World Trade Center being taken out. Great view of the Twin Towers here. I am so glad I got to see K-Ci and JoJo live in 1998, as it not only was a spectacular performance, but I got to hear some of their lesser known songs, like this one. They had recently broken away from Jodeci and released their first album as a brother duo "Love Always" and this "title track" never received the airplay that "All My Life" received despite being released as a single 6 months before, but is still a great song. If I'm not mistaken, at the time of the concert, I believe "All My Life" was the #1 song in the country on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8tHc_b_5w4

"Steal My Sunshine"- Len. This Canadian sibling duo quickly jumped on and off the charts with legendary one hit wonder status with this 1999 summer time hit. Len has always been pretty popular in Canada, and while this song is pretty fun, I can't figure out why. This song was recorded for their album "You Can't Stop the Bum Rush", but my question is "what bumrush?". I still can't figure out what this song is about. Bonus points for filming actual motorcycle riding with no helmets- pretty stupid, but pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

"Crush On You"- The Jets. Ah, our old friends the Wolfgramm family known as the Jets. I still can't help but laugh at these Tongan/Mormon/Minnesota siblings who, as I said before, had a decent career, but also managed to turn their mother's womb into a clown car in the process (this family has 17 kids!). The Jets literally flew onto the scene (no pun intended) with noise in 1985 with their self titled debut album and this song being the second single released and hitting #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. I watch this video and I wonder if all the members are actually playing instruments- watch for yourself- do they really need two keyboardists and two percussionists? Hmmmmm kinda makes you wonder huh? Bonus points for the super 80's clothes, but negative points for the dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy10rRJ0Cuk

"Rhythm of The Night"- DeBarge. Devon, I need your help on this one. You already know what I wanna ask. How in the world is El DeBarge not gay looking like that? Anyway, this title track for DeBarge's 1985 Motown release not only jumpstarted the career of songwriter Diane Warren, but this song was also featured in the movie "The Last Dragon". Yeah I never saw it either. This song was easily DeBarge's biggest hit as it reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1985. I see this video and not only do I get reminded of Lionel Richie for some reason, I also think about the Dave Chappelle skit with "Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories" where the guys who looked the most like women GOT all the women in the 80's. This video is a perfect example of that. All joking aside, El DeBarge recently was released from prison and is now outspoken against drug abuse, which led to his legal problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQSZhazYk8

"I'll Be There"- The Jackson 5. Like I would ever leave off the Jackson 5 on this list. This great live performance from "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, and Forever" is still to me one of the best performances Michael Jackson ever gave. Incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBEr1_Mgr4Y

BONUS VIDEOS- "I'll Be There"- another great version from 2001 in New York City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OJYDBZzvc

"Summer Breeze"- Seals and Crofts. The original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPLfDBcu_U0

"You Got It All"- The Jets. Can't get enough of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5rg05ZQNs

"Teenage Dream"- Katy Perry. No reason, just because.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WtmW-lfeE

Best sibling group ever. Period.
The Band Perry and one ridiculous haircut
K-Ci and JoJo in their debut as a duo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons