Thursday, January 27, 2011

Late Night Music Part 82......."I Hear What You're Saying.......I Think"

I have to thank my good friend Megan Kash for inspiring tonight's list due to our long phone conversation. I think she finally realizes where I get my ideas from.......random thoughts. She was like "since we talked for so long, why don't you make that the title of a blog"- yes mam. I got to thinking about it, and it's funny how people SING about TALKING. It's really a funny combo if you really think about it. How often do people talk about singing? Alot, but you don't really have alot of other way around. Sometimes, we have to sing just to get people to listen. Other times, talking was just boring- but not for someone like me.

In order to be considered for this category the song title had to have something to do with speaking. Also receiving votes in this category were "Say It Right" by Nelly Furtado, "Say It" by Blue October, "Just Say Yes" by Snow Patrol, "Careless Talk" by Billy Joel, "Say You Love Me" by Fleetwood Mac, NOT RECEIVING VOTES was "Say Goodbye" by Chris Brown- people who suck that bad will never be on this list. Also, "How Do You Talk To An Angel" by the Heights won't be included- I've used that one WAY too much lately.

"Talk Dirty To Me"- Poison. Was there a cooler American hair band in the 80's? Def Leppard is my favorite 80's hair band, but Poison is a very close second. In 1986, their appropriately titled debut album "Look What The Cat Dragged In" peaked at #3 on the charts. This song was Poison's first big hit peaking #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1987. Rikki Rockett is one of the best guitar players in music history, but dang he looks like a freaking woman right here. I still think he wears make up- didn't you guys see him on "The Surreal World"?. I'm still in amazement about how awesome Bret Michaels was and is and how he was such a hardcore rock star while being diabetic. Bonus points for this song being on Guitar Hero 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCChxBSRo1Y

"Whatcha Say"- Jason Derulo. Ok, I have to admit I first heard this song on my dear friend Melissa Dunlap's ring tone on her phone. I probably never would have heard this song other wise. Part of me thinks that Jason Derulo wants to be Michael Ealy with his horrid "line beard". Who ever told people this was cool? Also, is it just me, or does he kinda like a skinnier version of the black guy on "Glee" who picks on Curt and Finn all the time? The funny thing is that this song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, but yet I had never heard it other than Melissa's ring tone. Sometimes I think that despite my vast musical knowledge I live under a rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBI3lc18k8Q

"Talking To The Moon"- Bruno Mars. I have to admit that I am slowly getting on the Bruno Mars bandwagon. This guy is super talented and has some pretty catchy songs. Ever since the cover of his song "Marry You" on "Glee" I've really started paying attention, and with this recent Grammy nomination plethora, I think we might be hearing more from Mr. Mars soon. This video is actually NOT the video for the song, as the song hasn't been released as a single, but I think it probably should be. His debut album "Doo-Wops & Hooligans" should rack up Grammys next year, as it missed the release deadline for this year's awards by a mere 4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59Tmrs9YD0

"Talk To Me"- Stevie Nicks. I can't believe I had actually forgotten about this song. Being the huge Stevie Nicks fan I am, I always thought this was one of her better songs, but I have to admit I stumbled on this one tonight by accident- what am I thinking? Anyway, by 1981 Fleetwood Mac was already starting to drift apart after their release of "Tusk" and the band took a year break to work on solo projects. In fact, Stevie's debut solo album "Bella Donna" in 1981 topped most Fleetwood Mac albums in sales (obviously it didn't touch "Rumours"), but the fact was that Stevie Nicks could make it as a solo artist. While Fleetwood Mac released 3 more albums, 1982's "Mirage" , 1987's "Tango In The Night", and 1990's "Behind The Mask" (if that one counts), Stevie Nicks was making a huge splash as a solo artist. By the time 1985 had rolled around, she had already released her third solo album "Rock A Little" which featured this hit song. Stevie actually didn't write this song and was hesitant to record it at first just because she thought it would be hard to sing. So hard to sing that it peaked at #4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZHJxP7EsNQ

"Talk"- Coldplay. In 2005, Coldplay released their much anticipated album "X and Y", and at the time were arguably the #1 rock act in the world after the success of "Parachutes" and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". While some people weren't as big on "X and Y" as the other albums, Chris Martin went out of his way to write inspirational music including this song. This video shows that Coldplay was dedicated to making complex music and videos for this album, as this video where the robot represents the people he is trying to inspire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uqLM1uj_k

"I Wanna Talk About Me"- Toby Keith. Wow, Toby Keith has a really big head. This song was always pretty appropriate as Toby Keith always enjoyed talking about himself. Ya know if the whole music thing never worked out, I so could see Toby Keith being a professional wrestler- right, Moon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxUuDPNbkJk

"Talkin' To Me"- Amerie. Amerie released her debut album "All I Have" in 2002 with this song not long after. I always thought she was pretty cute and this is a decent song, but obviously "all she had" wasn't enough to keep her at the top of the charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKrcOOLpw64

"Say My Name"- Destiny's Child. This video just makes me laugh. This video was released for the third single for "The Writing's On The Wall" in January of 2000. The album was a smash hit selling 8 million copies and was rare as it was a concept album by a R & B female group- something still that is unheard of. However, Latavia Roberson and Letoya Luckett who co-wrote and recorded the song with Destiny's Child are nowhere to be found in this video despite their vocals being played in the song. Just a month prior, in a very controversial lawsuit, Luckett and Roberson had sued Destiny's Child management for not giving them a fair proportion of the earnings that were given to Beyonce and Kelly Rowland. While they never intended to leave the group, management for the group signed Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin (who was actually an EXTRA in the video for "Bills, Bills, Bills".) and then filmed the video for "Say My Name" without the knowledge of the other group members. What a way to be fired. That being said, I think I fell in love with Beyonce when I saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc

"Things People Say"- Lady Antebellum. Once again, this is another unofficial music video for this song, as this song off of Lady Antebellum's self titled debut album was never released as a single, but I think it should have been- what a great song! Just hearing this song could let you know that Lady Antebellum was going to be destined for great things as a group. I'm going ahead and predicting them sweeping this year's Grammys. For some reason, our songs tonight are taking a pretty inspirational turn. I know alot of people who could get alot out of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zaAZ3q41Yw

"Never Say Never"- The Fray. I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard The Fray. I've been hooked ever since. Then, I saw them, and I really wished I had just HEARD them. As talented as Isaac Slade is, I really wish I never saw him- what a weird looking guy! However, this song from their self titled sophomore album is nominated for a Grammy this year, rightfully so. But so much for our list being inspirational tonight. Also, do any of you ever see or hear the Fray and think that they are really a British band? I think they are the Live of the next generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aihu16RyYp8

"Say Say Say"- Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson. Still a great song. Still a gay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEhh_XpJ-0

"Say It Ain't So"- Weezer. Wow, this is my first Weezer video! What a great song! I love how Weezer is a really good rock band while still being hilarious, because if you really listen to the lyrics of this song, you see how it's serious and funny at the same time- aren't most of their songs like that? While the song is written in a comic tone, the song is actually about Rivers Cuomo coming home and finding beer in his fridge and being afraid his step-father would be an alcoholic like his father, which led to his parents divorce. It's amazing how much great music that is really funny can come out of such a bad situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

"I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song"- Jim Croce. Ok, the picture of Jim Croce with short hair really freaked me out. I never got into Jim Croce, and maybe it was because the guy just looks like a pedophile. This song and the album "I Got A Name" were actually released after Croce's death in 1973.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RabAcvizwKY

"Say You, Say Me"- Lionel Richie. I think Chris Tucker said it best when he said "Lionel Richie ain't been black since the Commodores man". I didn't know this, but this song was actually written as the theme song for the Gregory Hines/Mikhail Baryshnikov movie "White Nights". That alone might make Lionel Richie the cheesiest singer ever. I love Richie's voice, but that guy has the worst afro ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we0mk_J0zyc

"Careless Whisper"- Wham!. Devon, was there ever any doubt that George Michael was gay? I love how even youtube refuses to credit Andrew Ridgeley, who not only wrote the song, was the freaking other member of Wham! I bet the amount of fan mail ratio received difference between the two was staggering. Maybe it was a George Michael thing. He also never credited any of the actresses who appeared in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

"Don't Speak"- No Doubt. Wow, I finally broke down. I remember in high school you having to have "Tragic Kingdom" in order to be cool. Needless to say, I wasn't cool. This song got old in a hurry, though I have to admit it's pretty good writing. I also think its cool how the song is about Tony Kanal and he still plays the bass on it- gotta give the guy props for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ

"Hello, Goodbye"- The Beatles. Saw Paul open with this song in 2002 in New Orleans Arena. This song from "Magical Mystery Tour" was actually recorded during the "Sergeant Pepper" sessions, but was released as a stand alone single in 1967 and was featured on the soundtrack to the film in the United States that same year. First Beatles CD I ever bought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2S7kKLtEQ

"When You Say Nothing At All"- Alison Krauss. Wow, I am really racking up country songs on this one. Don't get used to it! This was always one of my favorite country songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjsjZWlRVvo

"She Talks To Angels"- The Black Crowes. More like the black crackheads. Do these guys just try to look like idiots? Anyway, spectacular song here and was one of the best of the 1990's. The song peaked at #30 in 1990 from their album "Shake Your Money Maker". This song is actually about a woman who lost a child (the "angel") and releases her pain through the use of illegal drugs. Wow, like these guys would ever write a song about drugs and it surprise anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a76FeV2-Dw

"State Your Peace"- Hootie and the Blowfish. I still think "Looking For Lucky" is Hootie's best album. Absolutely love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64hI23hgrQ

These were the ones singing, but we didn't see all of them in the video
Stevie Nicks
he has a huge head!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons