Monday, October 25, 2010

Late Night Music Part 73............"Alone"

I've spent this entire day alone and I have to say I can't say it's a bad thing. While I did have to suffer through the Saints game, I got lots of rest, watched "Undercover Boss" and "Dexter", and had time to write this entry. It's really interesting to see how artists use "alone" as being a good thing, but sometimes a bad thing. Being solitary can have different effects on different people, no matter who they are. This list takes a look at some of those songs about being alone.

In order to be considered for this list, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "Alone" in it. Also receiving votes in this category were "Alone" by Bullet For My Valentine,"Well Enough Alone" by Chevelle, "Walk Alone" by ilse, "Oildale (Leave Me Alone)" by Korn, "Hope Rides Alone" by The Protomen, and "Leave Me Alone" by Tech N9ne.

"Alone"- Heart. Funny how I talked about recently that I had kept Heart off of here for so long. Well here they are again with probably their best known song from their 1987 album "Bad Animals" which was the follow up to their 1985 self-titled comeback album. "Alone" quickly shot to the top of the Billboard Hot 100. I love this video because I love the Wilson sisters- why can women rock that hard and still be that hot? I'm sure you know this song was later covered in 2007 by Celine Dion. Yeah, it won't make it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0

"I Alone"- Live. I still talk about how awesome it was seeing these guys in 2004 at Jubilee Jam in Jackson with Lassiter and Jay Money. This song from their 1994 smash album "Throwing Copper" is a great song, but adds fuel to the fire of me thinking that Live is really a British band posing as a band from San Francisco. Ed Kowalczyk just looks, sounds, and acts British. To top it off, he has ridiculous hair. Bonus points for his farmer tan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrQOUtXYOo

"Alone"- Swish. Once again, an up and coming artist that I know personally has made his way on to "Late Night Music". Swish has taken his show on the road from Mississippi to Europe, Jamaica, and here in this video in Los Angeles. If there is any doubt to this artist's determination, he was willing to film in the rain- and we all know about how I feel about being in the rain (hence me staying home with tickets to LSU/Tennessee game because it was raining). I've always thought Swish was a phenomenal rapper, genius arranger/sampler and a solid lyricist, however, you will never catch me trying to defend his dancing, but bonus points for trying. All joking aside, I haven't heard many rap artists be able to use so many instruments so skillfully to lay down a really good track, and I'd challenge anyone to show me anyone else who does it as much. Be sure to check out his new EP "Invincible" now available on ITunes. Check him out at http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/invincible-ep/id397805736. I really wish he had a video for his track "Switch It Up" because it's always been my favorite.

http://vimeo.com/15661125

"Never Alone"- Lady Antebellum and Jim Brickman. I always get cracked up looking at Jim Brickman. The guy is a great piano player, he just looks like he doesn't give a crap and is there to hang out. I really like Hillary Scott's hair curly rather than straight, but man her voice sounds like an angel! Also, check out any other Jim Brickman video and they all look like this- why does the guy want to always be the same? Oh yeah, this is all you're getting tonight country fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsdlgrnjphg

"You Are Not Alone"- Michael Jackson. I had to include his performance from the 1995 VMAs. I can't watch the official video without wanting to peel out my retinas with an apple peeler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO82sxXBQkM

"About Being Alone"- Josef Hedinger. Here is a guy I stumbled across while making this list. Josef Hedinger is a young singer/songwriter from Fort Smith, Arkansas, who has been in Europe and actually signed to a European label. However, this is a really good song and he has a lot of soul in his voice, and almost sounds like a real R/B singer, but can someone please get this guy a haircut and a new wardrobe? I could actually see this guy being cool if he could change his look. I guess it works in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4W-t4M2gDI

"Leave The Memories Alone"- Fuel. In 2007, Fuel ran off lead singer Brett Scallions and tried to recruit Chris Daughtry to become their new lead singer. Thankfully, Chris Daughtry never took them up on that offer, but Fuel settled with Toryn Green for their 2007 album "Angels and Devils". This song "Leave The Memories Alone" is from that album and gives a small taste of the slightly different sound and less complexity of their material from the album. The album bombed after debuting at #42 despite selling 15,000 copies in its first week, and is widely regarded one of the bands worst albums. Fuel hasn't released an album since, but has reunited with original lead singer Brett Scallions in hopes of "re-fueling" for another album. This isn't a bad song, but it simply just isn't as good as Scallions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze4NhsXiTao

"Can't Leave 'Em Alone"- Ciara featuring 50 Cent. All Ciara ever has to do to get a video on my list is freaking make one. Good grief she is without a doubt one of the sexiest women in music. This song was the last single from her 2007 album "Ciara: The Evolution". I usually think 50 Cent is a complete idiot, but I have to say I really wish I could be him in this video. Negative points for being in Atlanta and wearing hats for the Nationals and Dodgers- that looks so stupid when rappers do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnL9Ju7oSvU

"Never Alone"- BarlowGirl. More hot rocker chicks! BarlowGirl is a Christian rock group from Illinois that had a huge hit with this song from their 2004 self-titled debut album. These are 3 beautiful sisters. This video was shot to promote the song for mainstream radio in 2006, but this plan was later scrapped. However, this video is powerful on several levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5kLntOi2k

"Not Alone"- Linkin Park. From one powerful video to another. In 2010, Linkin Park contributed to the compilation album "Download to Donate to Haiti" with this single and video. Like much of their 2010 album "A Thousand Suns", Linkin Park's sound has drastically changed as the band has left behind its alternative metal/metalcore rap for a more rock, and alot softer sound. Great song here- I'll be curious to see if LP includes it on their next album. Unreal video here- can't watch it without getting chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vLvGvZ4Tus

"You're Not Alone"- Boyz II Men. Most people forget about Boyz II Men's 1993 Christmas album "Christmas Interpretations" which actually preceded the release of "II". Even though it was shortly after the release of their debut album "Cooleyhighharmony" it was obvious that their sound was already maturing, as made evident with this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38iWnTLHM3E

"We're All Alone"- Boz Scaggs. I can't tell you much about this video other than the fact that's its probably in Japan (where Scaggs is still huge) and it's a pretty good live performance. If anyone here can actually translate the Japanese on the video, you get a gold star! I always like calling Boz Scaggs a "One Album Wonder" because while he had a long productive career, it's hard to argue that he is known in most circles outside of his smash 1976 album "Silk Degrees" (peaked at #2 on the Billboard Charts) which included this song, which also went to the Top 10 with a cover version by Rita Coolidge the following year. Also, according to Scaggs, Michael Jackson recorded the song but never recorded it. Without a doubt Boz Scaggs best song, and it helped him keep his 15 minutes of fame in the United States. Just something about Boz Scaggs' voice is hilarious. I can't put my finger on it, but he's another nominee for a "singer you think is British but really isn't".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jELdHlPj58

"Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)"- Pink. And to think that just a few months ago I saying how much Pink sucks. It's amazing how much an artist can bend my ears if they are hot. This song from Pink's 2006 album "I'm Not Dead" is actually a pretty personal look at Pink's feelings on her much publicized break up with Carey Hart. Pretty good live performance from Wembley Arena from her 2007 Live DVD "I'm Not Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCPGqw2xhao

"You're Not Alone"- Meredith Andrews. I realize she's super cheesy, but this is a really good song. Meredith Andrews is also very beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXLo3aCkuQ

"Never Leave Me Alone"- Nate Dogg and Snoop Dogg.I was always kinda fascinated by Nate Dogg. He always struck me as the guy in the posse who had some sense- kinda like when I met 3 6 Mafia and they were all idiots except the DJ- they always bring along the guy who can save them from looking like complete morons. His style has always been kinda cool to me too, singing on a rap track with that distinctive voice- why didn't this guy make it bigger? Also, I'm not buying him as a criminal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzveEPBVQtA

BONUS VIDEO- "Regulate"- Nate Dogg and Warren G. From 1994 film "Above the Rim". This was my favorite song in 6th grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

#avg_ls_inline_popup{position: absolute;z-index: 9999;padding: 0px 0px;margin-left: 0px;margin-top: 0px;overflow: hidden;word-wrap: break-word;color: black;font-size: 10px;text-align: left;line-height: 130%;}

"Invincible" EP by Swish now available on ITunes!
All you gotta do is ask
Three Rockin Sisters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons