Friday, September 03, 2010

Late Night Music Part 64........"Psssst!"

"Friends don't make secrets and secrets don't make friends" we'd here from parents and teachers growing up. You'd have to admit, you were pretty left out if you didn't know that "secret" when you were little, but it felt cool to know it. On the contrary, in music we here about "secrets", but unlike when we were younger, sometimes it's almost cooler to not know what the secret is. One of the greatest "secrets" in music- what in the world Meatloaf is talking about when he says he "won't do "THAT"". What is "that"? See what I mean? However, his 1993 opus won't be joining us tonight, as it is ineligible for this list. I feel like I'm rambling now- on to the list.

In order to be eligible for this category, obviously the song had to have the word "secret" in the SONG TITLE. Also receiving votes in this category were "My Secret Place" by Joni Mitchell, "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret" by Queens of the Stone Age, "Secret Crowds" by Angels and Airwaves, and "Secret Lover" by The Isley Brothers. NOT receiving votes was "Secret Garden" by Bruce Springsteen- we all know that I think he sucks.

"Secret"- Madonna. In 1994, Madonna rounded out her "whore" phase with the release of "Bedtime Stories" and this song as it's lead single. I always thought that this was when Madonna really began her awesome music, not to say she wasn't good before. I really heard alot of her in England during our 1995 trip over spring break, as this album was larger than life at the time. Also, maybe it's just me, but if you watch this video and then watch the follow up single's video for "Take A Bow" they seem eerily similar. Great soul feel to this song- one of my Madonna favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPzbbvQAzmQ%EF%BB%BF

"Dirty Little Secret"- All-American Rejects.The pride of Stillwater, Oklahoma came out with their awesome 2005 album "Move Along' and led off the album with this single in 2006. I've always been a Rejects fan, but I really wish Tyson Ritter would stop screaming at me. The guy just seems super upset! Then he looks in the camera like he's mad at me. Bonus points for the signs the people in the video hold up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDcwjJ8pLg&ob=av2e

"Secrets"- David Jennings. For the second time ever, an artist will appear in "Late Night Music" while they are being tagged as a reader. This one just has the distinction of knowing me since I was 12. This song is featured on Dave's album "Sticks and Stones" and always been my favorite song of his, and he may not know this, but it meant alot to me when I first got to Tennessee. I'm glad Dave cleaned up his place for this video, but why the sunglasses inside? I know you're future's bright bud, but when you finally take them off your eyes are blacked out! Bonus points for the shots of you playing two instruments in the same song. To check out more of Dave Jennings check out his website at http://iwannago.net/davidjennings/The_Official_Website_of_David_Jennings.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLoi4yzntY

"Secrets"- One Republic. One Republic has always kind of puzzled me. They have even called themselves "genreless" and I have to agree, because I have no way to really describe their sound, not that I would call it "extraordinary" or "special", it's just....ya know, there. I have to admit I grew tired of their first album "Dreaming Out Loud", but their follow up "Waking Up" just seems more real with this song being a perfect example. Also notice that they are another band in the ranks of Yellowcard and Dashboard Confessionals that feature a violinist. I have to admit I was lost by the video but it is actually scenes from the German movie "Zweiohrküken" to which this song appears on the soundtrack. Good, because I was completely lost on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHm9MG9xw1o&ob=av2e

"Secret Valentine"- We The Kings. I recently have become into this band from Bradenton, Florida simply due to their similarity to bands like Sherwood, Relient K, Mae, and other power pop bands that are out there. I like the way they sound, but Travis Clark might need to buy a mirror. He looks way too much like a cross between carrot top and fellow Florida band The Almost's lead singer Aaron Gillespie. Bonus points for the hot chicks in the video, but get some who can act next time guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQQ0lpYI1RI

"Little Secrets"- Passion Pit. Passion Pit has always been one of those bands that make you say "holy crap". Because similar to bands like Tokio Hotel, they have a male lead singer (Michael Angelakos) who sounds like a woman. I love this song's combination of electric keyboards (very similar to Keane in a way) and conventional drums and guitar. I think the music industry is about to put out alot more bands like Passion Pit (see Owl City, Crystal Castles, or even Keane). Super bonus points for the exploding paper bags in the video! It almost reminds of the Saints fans of years past to today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScC_pi3PJ9k

"Secret Smile"- Semisonic. in 1998, Semisonic was riding high on the success of their album "Feeling Strangely Fine" with their #1 single "Closing Time". Semisonic actually had a pretty sizeable following throughout their home state of Minnesota as well as around the country. Yes, I know what you're thinking- you look at Dan Wilson in the video and you're like- "how?". He would definitely win a goober award, but this song, along with the rest of this album proved to be one of the best of 1998/1999. I'm taking away points, however for the fake footage of the helicopter at the end as he runs away from the reporters, c'mon man! Pretty funny and creative video though- something the band was always known for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-yQdNjC3AY

"Secret Lovers"- Atlantic Starr. Sometimes in the 1980's, there were those R & B bands that just seemed so goofy and cheesy you wondered why they were even in the genre (see DeBarge, The Jets, Klymaxx, or even James Ingram). Atlantic Starr was no exception. While they had the smooth band and the nice voices of David Lewis and Barbara Weathers, but they look beyond ridiculous in this video. Also, I can't figure out if Weathers planned that intro to this song or if she just forgot what she was doing for a second. At the time, this song was a top 5 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, and that's the best she can do? Bonus points for the guitar player who looks like a member of the village people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2UXqFo0DY&ob=av2n

"My Little Secret"- Xscape.YES! I love any excuse to show and talk about the very sexy Kandi Burruss despite the fact that she whored herself out for TV when she joined the cast of "The Real Housewives of Atlanta". Prior to her bad career move, she was hands down one of the hottest women in R & B, and she steals the show on this song. I've always said that Xscape's 1998 album "Traces of My Lipstick" was one of the most underrated albums in 1990's R & B despite being produced by Keith Sweat, and in alot of ways, ushered the beginning end of the 1990's soul to the sound we have today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDHggk9NlN8&ob=av2e

"Secret Messages"- Electric Light Orchestra. I love the cool sounds at the beginning of ELO songs. I almost feel like I'm about to watch an episode of "Jericho" when I see this video. ELO always got away with being weird because they didn't look as weird as the other weird British bands of the 70's and 80's. Jeff Lynne and this band are just so cool! I also think ELO does as good a job as any rock band of the era in using vocal harmony in different arrangements in songs. However, like most ELO videos, I'm not sure what point he is trying to make. Are the "secrt messages" the languages that these ladies speak that we obviously don't know? Or are they in the stars in some weird constellation? Bonus points for Saturn in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAcbxz0fuQ&ob=av3e

"Secret"- Heart. Why does Heart rock so hard but still make you feel like you are watching a Debbie Gibson video? Heart had to be one of the best arena rock era bands (as the video shows), but they just don't fit the bill as far as looks. I think this one of Heart's better songs although it never did well on the charts- I really love Ann Wilson's voice. This song just had the unfortunate luck of being a power ballad in 1991 off of their album "Brigade". Were power ballads even allowed at that point? Bonus points for Ann Wilson flying over Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYpntqmbqY

"My Secret (Didja Gitit Yet?)"- New Edition. This one has me confused because it's actually a really good song. But with the hype around their self titled smash album still sailing in 1985, they released this single while "Lost In Love" was still in the Top 10. I really don't see why you release this single at that time and then go out of your way to make this video. This video was groundbreaking in the fact that not only was the first video to ever feature live footage from the NBA (with Byron Scott, Pat Riley and Magic Johnson), but the song was also featured in the 1985 "smash" movie "Krush Groove" (which if you remember, was talked about in the movie "Dogma" between Bartleby and Loki about which movie would be bigger- "Krush Groove or E.T."). I still don't know what the secret is though- it sure wasn't that Ralph Tresvant should be in the NBA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by__VZRA9Wc

BONUS VIDEOS- "Hotel Room Heartbeat"- David Jennings- another great live recording by Dave Jennings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPlDTI-ZeY

"Always" - Atlantic Starr. All of that cheeziness paid off in 1987 when they had this #1 worldwide smash hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTF97_ve118

it's no secret, I love Kandi Burruss!
David Jennings at 12th and Porter- one of the best venues in Nashville
Tyler Ritt of All American Rejects- the most angry man in music

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons