Friday, September 03, 2010

Late Night Music Part 62................"I've Fallen, And I Can't Get Up"

Before I even start, let me say that this has been my favorite list to listen to that I've ever had. Something about this one just hit the spot. The funny thing is that it's one of the most diverse as well- go figure.

When we think about the word "down", we usually think falling, in a bad mood, just a negative direction period. Musicians have used it for a variety of reasons in both positive and negative ways. For some reason on the way to work today listening the song "Hands Tied" by Toni Braxton I thought of the idea of "down" for some odd reason. Also, I thought this would be a really hard category to fill out, but you would be shocked at how often the word is used, especially in song titles. I can't figure out how my mind works. I also, for some reason, decided it had to be written tonight, despite the fact that I really wanted to lay DOWN.

To be considered in this category there had to be the word "DOWN" in the SONG TITLE (so the bands Three Doors Down and System of a Down could be considered, but had to have a song title with the word). Also receiving votes in this category were "Write This Down" by George Strait, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" by the Zac Brown Band, and "Come Down" by Bush.

"Down"- Jay Sean ft. Lil Wayne. Jay Sean is a rare guy. Not only is he of Indian origin (how rare is that in the hip hop community?!), he's also a British Indian solo artist. You almost have to think this guy was told by alot of people that he would never make it in the hip hop scene. This song from 2009 was not only the 4th song to by a British act to top the Billboard Hot 100 this decade, it was the first song EVER by a British Asian artist to top the chart in the United States. This is one of those songs that you can't help but like. Not only does it make you wanna dance, Jay Sean is a really good singer, and in the video, he dances with more swagger than most American hip hop artists. I have to admit, he does look a little silly next to Lil' Wayne. Bonus points for Birdman making a cameo in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbpGmR1-QM

"Down To Earth"- Justin Bieber. I know I told myself several times that I would never stoop to this level, but I can't help it, I really like this song. I have to give the guy props, he may be a little young and goofy, but the guy has the talent to be a serious R & B singer once he matures a little bit. I just hope he doesn't get "bubblegummed" to death for his own good. Eventhough this song wasn't released as a single on his debut smash album "My World", our Canadian underaged friend sounds almost like he has some soul on this song. I can't help it, I'm hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOAU_1hWslM

"Down On The Corner"- Creedence Clearwater Revival. I always loved how Creedence Clearwater Revival wrote songs about and in the style of the south (including the Mississippi Delta), but yet were all form Los Angeles. On their 1969 album "Willy and The Poor Boys", the "title track" (since the song is about them) "Down On The Corner" talked the struggles and performances of a street corner band and has the style and feel of that band. Pretty good live performance here from 1969. Thankfully, John Fogerty would later get a haircut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAjOlp4Tas

"Down With The Sickness"- Disturbed. Something about this song just gets me so hyped up. I'll probably have trouble going to sleep now just because I've listened to this song at least 3 times. In my officiating days, I would get hyped up hearing this song in high school gyms just because it's such a great sports song. Bonus points for that. I must say, I had trouble watching this video because David Dramain's piercings on his mouth not only look extremely painful, I am having a hard time seeing how he can still sing with that in his mouth- OUCH! Funny side note- Dramain asks us to "get down with the sickness" but also says "this is the gift that has been given to me". Is he being sarcastic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw&ob=av2e

"I Wish It Would Rain Down"- Phil Collins. Changing gears just a TAD BIT, Here is one I have always loved but just forgot about! In 1989, Phil Collins was super hot with the release of his album "...But Seriously" and drastically changed his style, including this super ballad. This video (fast forward to 2:30 or so to see the song) was a good idea, but wound up pretty dumb. Great addition in the video and the song of Eric Clapton, but the addition of "Arrested Development" star Jeffrey Tambor is kinda silly. This song and this album was a huge turning point for Phil Collins as his softer sound really started to come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcY3FH208l8

"Knock You Down"- Keri Hilson ft. Kanye West and Ne-Yo. You know this song had to be good with my much known dislike for Kanye West. He almost kills the song, but it's saved by the very sexy and talented Hilson, and Ne-Yo hung around too, but we all know how I feel about him too. This song is very similar to "Down" earlier on the list, just because it makes me wanna dance (but thank God I don't), and on top of that, Keri Hilson has a really good melody on top of jamming beat. I have to add though I HATE Kanye as the "guy" in this video- there's no way someone who is that big of a douche should get a woman that sexy. I'm really looking forward to Keri Hilson's second album follow up to her debut "In A Perfect World".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_RqWocthcc

"Follow You Down"- Gin Blossoms. I'm glad I finally get to get this band on here, as they were always one of my favorite "One Album Wonder" bands right up there with Fastball. Even though this song came on there 1996 album "Congratulations I'm Sorry", it never came close to the success of their 1992 megahit album "New Miserable Experience", and this song proved to be their swan song from the public eye, despite them still being "together". Bonus points for the unlimited amount of staircases in the video that seem to be leading "down".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LuH0ywYVQc

"Shake You Down"- Gregory Abbott. Ok, this song made me laugh the hardest of all the ones on here just because it's so dang cheesy, and to top if off, Gregory Abbott is even more cheesy- seriously, just look at the guy! He also had the unfortunate "luck" of going #1 on this, his debut single, only to find the top 10 one more time. Maybe it was his ridiculous hair, or the fact that this HAS to be the only #1 song in music history in any country that actually has the word "telepathy" in it. I also would like to give Mr. Abbott a lesson in how to say "Well Well" without it sounding like "O Way O Way". I also had to really look hard to see that he really wasn't Philip Michael Thomas (Detective Ricardo Tubbs) from "Miami Vice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc8wmLul3uw

"I Won't Back Down"- Tom Petty. BONUS POINTS FOR THE BEATLES! Ringo Starr on the drums and George Harrison on guitar! Oh Man! I almost wanna call this a Beatles song! In 1989, The Heartbreakers were on a break while Tom Petty joined The Traveling Wilburys with Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne (also on the song and video along with Heartbreaker Mike Campbell). After the death of Roy Orbison in 1988, the Traveling Wilburys disbanded and Tom Petty soon followed with his first solo album, "Full Moon Fever" in 1989, which let him record with a new band (shown in the video). Man my head is about to explode, how many guys got to make a SOLO album with two of the BEATLES in your freaking BACKING BAND?! Hasn't been done before, and won't happen again. I love this song, as Petty has called it his "most inspirational song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA

"Shut It Down"- Pitbull ft. Akon. Another weird guy in hip-hop, Pitbull is Cuban, and he's not a very good rapper. Akon makes this song- only song on this list I really don't like. Would like to see Akon make a remix of this song without Pitbull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECUFmEPbU0

"I'm Goin' Down"- Mary J. Blige. Mary has done some fantastic covers in her day ("Our Love", "Natural Woman", "One", "Stairway To Heaven", "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word"), but none are as awesome as this one, and the funny thing is, of all the covers she's done, this was probably the least popular before she covered it. Originally by Rose Royce in 1977, Mary included this song on her 1994 sophomore album "My Life". This video drew criticism from many critics just due to the fact that everything in the video (including the couples depicted) are in black and white. Cool shot of Mary "going down" the stairs. As I've said before, this was Mary's dumbest look (maybe it was the crack), but man she could BRING IT in those days (not to say she still can't!), today her songs aren't as dang sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XmwiwQjU8E

"Upside Down"- Jack Johnson. I have to admit that ONE person got me into Jack Johnson and that's Becky Baldwin who played his album "In Between Dreams" to exhaustion during my days at LSU. So, I thought it was kinda cool to see him write and perform most of the soundtrack for the 2006 children's film "Curious George". This song and video just drip with coolness and I love how the song can almost be pictured as Curious George singing- think about it- monkey, upside down- with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqUdI4AIDF0&ob=av2n

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"- Elton John. From the "Red Piano" show in Las Vegas. Wow- no words for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQ8BVLkOXE

BONUS VIDEO- "Breakdown"- Jack Johnson. One of my favorite songs ever written, and I haven't had on here on a while. Thought I'd include it on here. It was, however disqualified because "Breakdown" is one word. Sorry, Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z50ZveXL-Ps%EF%BB%BF

In a perfect world you won't have losers like Kanye West in your video
I sank to the depths!
you make the call.....
are they the same person?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons