Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Late Night Music Part 58..................."Leave The Light On, I'm Scare of The Dark, Boss"

Growing up, some of us were (and some of you still are, even though you won't admit it) scared of the dark. We were always worried about what scary stuff could come jumping out of the dark to eat us. I still remember the cave tours of Dunbar Cave in Clarksville with my summer camp kids and being in the darkness of the cave and holding my hand literally 2 inches from my face and not being able to see it. Just shows that while darkness is simple (just take away the lights), it is also very powerful. That is why it has been used by so many artists to describe so many emotions and changes in life and has led to some really good music from all genres.

In order to be considered in this category, the SONG TITLE had to feature the word "dark" somewhere in it. Also receiving votes in this category were "Darkness" by Third Eye Blind, "Keep It Dark" by Genesis, "Smoke Rings In The Dark" by Gary Allan. NOT RECEIVING VOTES was "Dancing In The Dark" by Bruce Springsteen.

"Coming Out Of the Dark"- Gloria Estefan. Most people forget about the near fatal traffic accident that almost took the life of Gloria Estefan in 1990. Almost a year later, she made her return to television at the 1991 American Music Awards (I actually remember watching and I HATE that there is no good video of that performance!). This song, off of her comeback album "Into The Light" was written by Estefan's husband, Emilio, while flying on a helicopter on the way to New York City to see Gloria in the hospital as the sun came up over the NYC skyline after he had been travelling all night. I have never been a big Gloria Estefan fan, but I really admire her commitment to rehab from a serious injury, as she has two titanium rods that are in her spine that were placed there to repair her broken back. The fact she is still able to perform and tour is amazing. Also, let me add I have no idea what the light guy at the beginning of this video adds to anything. I seriously don't see why he's even in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZy85HWWvc

"Piano In The Dark"- Nina. Most people know the Brenda Russell version from 1987, which is a solid song, but you know my affection for cover songs, and I wanted to introduce everyone to one of the biggest stars in the world who isn't big in the United States yet. Nina is a Filipino singer who made a live album in 2005 recorded at a small piano bar in Manila which features many American hits which she covers, including this one. I was instantly hooked on Nina just because she can give covers her own style while not taking away from the original song. I think Asian artists get a bad rap sometimes because of their perceived inability to record songs in an "American" style, but Nina really shows she has soul in this song and all of her other songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4Bp7Uvn4o

"Whispers In The Dark"- Skillet. I have just recently in the last few months gotten familiar with Skillet, and I'm serious, I had no idea until a couple of weeks ago that they were a Christian band. Another misconception is that Christian bands don't "rock as hard" as mainstream rock bands. That is false, as the guitar solo at about the 2:10 point in this song is as rocking as it gets. This song, off of their 2006 album "Comatose" apparently is written from the perspective of God talking to someone saying they'll never be alone and how he literally "whispers in the dark".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WhAfZphQQ

"Into The Dark"- Ben Lee.This Australian goober released this song on his 2005 album "Awake Is The New Sleep". I admit this is a pretty catchy tune, but this video is frighteningly nerdy to the point if you wonder if the female "fans" in the video are sincere are just simply being paid. And maybe it's just me, but does anyone see elements of Jack Johnson, Josh Kelley, and John Mayer in this video? So much for originality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNH-BR_lGDY

"I Will Follow You Into The Dark"- Death Cab For Cutie. When Ben Gibbard recorded this song for his 2006 album "Plans", he surprisingly wrote it for his close friends that he knew he would have for the rest of his life. He apparently thought it was strange that he had never lost anyone close in his life, and he admitted he became "obsessed with death and the afterlife" and had to prepare himself for losses (even though he was 29 at the time). This song is really cool in that he really shows his loyalty, but why make such a silly video? Some people have funny ways of conveying emotions. Great song though, I think a good show of Death Cab For Cutie's diversity, and I have to admit I love the falling off the bed clip in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbqtuFemMOE

"Morning After Dark"- Timbaland ft. Nelly Furtado and SoShy. I have to laugh because Timbaland wrote and recorded this song because he saw the "Twilight" movies and wanted to make a song about vampires. I think he took it a little bit too far with his "vampire faces" in the video- c'mon man! Prior to this song, I had never heard of SoShy, but I love the addition of Nelly Furtado, but when you're that sexy you can do no wrong in my book. I kinda like how Timbaland is back making good solo songs and not just collaborating with other artists on their records. Bonus points for the vampire faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25LBTSUEU0A

"Dark Side Of The Sun"- Tokio Hotel. I really am starting to like Tokio Hotel alot, as our German friends seem to get different with each album. However, I am not convinced that Bill Kaulitz isn't gay- Devon, what do you think? I watch this video and I think I'm watching a cross between Prince and Adam Lambert that dresses like Madonna. All joking aside, Tokio Hotel seems like they put on a great show, I'd love to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndEeA-cMxWw

"Crawling In The Dark"- Hoobastank. Before Hoobastank became the soft hit radio band of 2004 with "The Reason", they released their debut self titled album along with their debut single and first track from that album, "Crawling In the Dark". While it never got the airplay of "The Reason", this song is still "The Reason" (no pun intended) that they built such a strong fan base prior to 2003. However, if you watch the video, you will see how Doug Robb will enter the exclusive club of "guy who really doesn't look like he is a lead singer of a rock band" (right up there with Benjamin Burnley of Breaking Benjamin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHxtOLfvIo

BONUS VIDEO- "Piano In The Dark"- John Tesh and Gerald Albright. A solid jazz version of "Piano In The Dark" with John Tesh on piano and Gerald Albright on saxophone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Hnv-LBYrk



Nina Live
Tokio Hotel- Devon, are they gay?
like I was really putting Timbaland on here over her

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons