Friday, September 03, 2010

Late Night Music Part 61............"My Name, Is Neo

One thing I have always noticed as I discuss music with people of all races, ages, backgrounds, and nationalities are the looks they give me when I talk about my love for R&B music, in particular the neo-soul genre. Some people just find it hard to believe that a goofy white guy like me could be so into soulful music that speaks to so many people on so many levels. I have always thought that a true music fan has no problem reaching out of their own background and favorite genres to explore other areas of music, because at the end of the day, they all influence each other whether you'd like to admit it or not. Yes, I do realize that is pretty comical to picture me having the charisma, vibe, rhythm, or soul of the artists in the largely African American genre, but while I've always admitted I have no rhythm (those of you who have seen me dance or ever tried to sing in choir with me at church in Clarksville no EXACTLY what I'm talking about), I might have a little more soul than you think.

In order to be in this category obviously the artist had to be known as a "neo-soul artist" even they released neo soul material, mainstream soul artists were disqualified. Also receiving votes in this category were "I Just Want You Around" by Lauryn Hill, "On And On" by Erykah Badu, "I Try" by Macy Gray, "Heard It All Before" by Sunshine Anderson, "By Your Side" by Sade, and "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley . NOT receiving votes in this category was Lyfe Jennings- I'm sorry everyone, he sucks.

"Pretty Wings"- Maxwell. I tell ya, I really thought Maxwell had disappeared after his release of 2002's "This Woman's Work" and after the success of his third album, "Now". However, last year, he came back with a new look (the hair is gone- sucks, I always thought it was cool), and a new album "BLACKsummer's Night". Maxwell explained his nearly 8 year absence as "just a break", but I hope he doesn't do that to us again, because if he has more songs like this in him, we'll be talking about him for a long time. This song reminds me alot about my life, as it obviously about bad timing in relationships. Several great women have been in my life at bad times for either one of us, and it just didn't work out- and I think Maxwell is talking about that here. While I always thought his hair was cool, I am sure now that casual music fans will stop confusing Maxwell for Lenny Kravitz (I kid you not, I have seen it happen several times!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPy4yq7EJo

"I Wish I Didn't Miss You"- Angie Stone. Angie is one of those artists who probably should have broke out on her own sooner. She spent the early part of her career in soul and funk groups before breaking out with 1999's "Black Diamond" at the age of 37. By the time "Mahogany Soul" rolled around, she was 41 and near an appearance on "Celebrity Fit Club". I really wish I could find a clip of the performance Angie had with Josh Groban of the duet "The Prayer"- it really showed her vocal quality and that she is capable of other genres than the one she is known for. I love this song, because the instrumental (a sample of "Back Stabbers" by the O'Jays) makes me think I'm watching a 1970's black superhero movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWz-NubVpM

"Beautiful"- Vivian Green. Beautiful is about right- Vivian Green is hands down the best looking woman on this list. Why do so many women in the entertainment industry get more beautiful as they age? She grows more elegant as she gets older. I've loved her since her 2002 debut "A Love Story", but this new single takes the cake to a new level of awesomeness for Vivian. The first line of this song might be one of the best opening lines of a song I've ever heard. This song, like most of her music is not only madly intense, it's deeply personal. The passion behind her singing rivals the passion of Mary J. Blige- yes I said it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRur_lxJmM

"The Way"- Jill Scott. I remember getting this album my freshman year of college and not being able to stop playing it. I loved this song before it was released as a single in 2001. This video really cracks me up and we should have known from it that Jill Scott would soon be appearing in films (as she appeared in Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married?" and the sequel "Why Did I Get Married Too?"). I love the realness and pure raw emotion in her music. She has got to be the most conversational singer I've ever been a fan of. I seriously feel as though we are having a conversation over a solid jazz beat. I think the chronological names of her albums being "Words and Sounds" is pretty appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCerHrqWQkQ

"You're The Only One"- Eric Benet. I have to feel sorry for this guy.......kinda. We all know about his personal "issues", and I won't discuss them, but the guy has lost his father to a sudden death and his girlfriend in an auto accident. He also had Halle Berry leave him- talk about a trio of messed up bad luck. The first two tragedies led to his short hiatus in the late 1990's after first coming on the scene in the early 1990's, and it wasn't until 1996 that his first album was finally released. After his failed marriage with Berry, and getting his life together, Benet came back with 2008's "Love and Life" and this awesome which has a video that shows a concert in his hometown of Milwaukee. This song and album were nominated for Grammy Awards in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H72ajAO6ctI

"Previouscats"- Musiq Soulchild. I've featured him several times on here, but I never really hit on his non-single released songs. This one has always been a favorite of mine, and it meant alot to me while I was in college on his 2002 album "Juslisen". Man I must have played the crap out of this album! I really like the way this song and all of his music can relate to any guy's life no matter their circumstances. I've always loved how Musiq's music (man that's funny to say out loud) can remind me of SOMETHING in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKtVB_5-kM

"Don't Stay"- Laura Izibor. Here is another artist I've featured on here before, and yes, I still find it weird that Ireland could produce a neo-soul artist. Nothing against our European friends, just doesn't seem like a hot bed for soul music. This is a beautiful song, but I love the "ok see if I give a crap" attitude of this song- it almost cracks me up. Question of the night- who is that dang actor in the video with her? I have seen him a movie! This may be a dumb question, but who can tell me who that guy is? I really wish the piano was featured more in this audio mix, but this is a great song nonetheless. Also, am I the only person who thinks that Laura Izibor looks like Gloria Reuben from "ER"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMSQsPMtU98

"Her Heart"- Anthony Hamilton. Great live performance here from his tour to support his 2008 album "The Point Of It All". I was into Hamilton immediately in 2003 with the release of "Coming From Where I'm Coming From" (eventhough that is technically his second album). Unlike most of the singers on this list and in the genre, he's from the Southern United States, and his southern accent shows and his life experiences of growing up in the South with gospel roots is clearly shown in his music. This song is no different, but I have to give props to Nicole Jamen for introducing me to this song. This song will always be one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-ydiwNhbk

"Free"- Jaguar Wright. I remember my good friend Cristina Barnes (who, as I mentioned last time, has completely dropped off the face of the earth) getting me into Jaguar and her first album "The What Ifs" while we were in a class together at USM. In 2005 Jaguar released her much anticipated follow up, "Divorcing Neo 2 Marry Soul" and had this song as it's lead single. I love Jaguar's soul, voice, and attitude. She tours so much, she rarely makes time to record, and I am really looking forward to her next album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAlOng6sFGw

"Let Go"- Lalah Hathaway. I think most people knew the first time Lalah Hathaway opened her mouth to sing that she would be destined for greatness. She has the genes of one of the greatest singers of all time in her, and I really wish we could have seen her team up with her late father on some records- that would have been awesome. I think Lalah Hathaway is the epitome of lyrical jazz/neo soul and let me tell you, if you are listening to a jazz mix late at night and need some help relaxing, Lalah Hathaway, much like her late father is great at putting the mind at ease. I think this song is pretty appropriate in that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItuNXBoY-4

"Can I Walk With You"- India.Arie. I love every time I find an excuse to put an India song on here. She is just so real! One of the great qualities of not only her music, but of the entire neo soul genre is that you don't have the "smoke and mirrors" of pop music, or even some mainstream R&B. India Arie believes in making herself sexy with what she has and with her music, not by glamorizing things out of proportion. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her second album "Voyage To India" that finally captured Grammy Awards after she was shut out in 8 nominations in 2001. I remember listening to this entire album while me and my mom were driving up the California coast in 2003. What a great album to listen to while you are experiencing some of the greatest natural beauty on Earth. I love a woman who can rock a guitar look and play it too, and India always pulls that one off. This woman absolutely exudes soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5CI-lLpcys

"Shrink Me Up"- Darnell Levine. Ok, the first real unknown on the list. I saw Darnell Levine open for my other up and coming favorite Damien Horne in the summer of 2007 in Nashville. I remember him doing this song along with a cover of Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are". Take a listen and check out his website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DO_icOh24g

"Choux Pastry Heart"- Corinne Bailey Rae. This is a great performance of one of Corinne Bailey Rae's more beautiful songs, and I love how she calls it "Beatles-y". I like the love that the Beatles are shown across genres (as I've always said they have influenced every genre of music, including neo soul), and after changing my mind several times, I have decided that this song does have a slight "Sergeant Pepper" feel to it and could be considered as something the Beatles may have recorded in the 1966-67 period of studio experimentation. I love Corinne's thick British accent, it's almost like it's fake. This song appears on her 2006 debut/self titled album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61YfYvbXrbw

"Hopeless"- Dionne Farris. After the "One Album Wonder" status of Arrested Development had settled in around 1993, most of us figured we'd heard the last of Dionne Farris. However, after her #1 hit "I Know" in 1995, she added this 1997 song from the soundtrack of the movie "Love Jones", which despite having the very sexy Nia Long, I absolutely HATE- but that's another story for another day. This song would actually be a great nominee for the list I had entitled "Great Song, Horrible Movie". Huge bonus points on this one for Randy Jackson playing bass AND being in the video. Has that guy changed at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkJ7JXETr0

"Ordinary People"- John Legend. I remember some of my friends praising John Legend's debut album "Get Lifted" in early 2005, but all I had heard was his first single "Used To Love U", and I have to admit, I HATED it. It wasn't until April 2005 that JL finally released another single, which was this song here. After hearing this one and the rest of his songs, I was hooked, and have been into him ever since. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get into an artist. This video shows the emotional side of Legend's music that I think most people miss. I love how he gets his message across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh07c_P4hc

"If I Ain't Got You"- Alicia Keys. I have to admit that I jumped on the Alicia Keys bandwagon almost immediately with the release of her debut album "Songs In A Minor", but it was this song for her second album "The Diary of Alicia Keys" in 2003 that has always done the most for me. This video is kind of lame, and the reason she picked Method Man as the guy in the video is kinda shocking to me. I also hate I can't find a video without the lyrics in it. Alicia Keys is a fantastic performer, and I love the love she shows not only for her man and her music, but for her instrument, one thing I think gets lost in music is the love musicians have for their actual instrument- it seems like a small scene, but I promise you it is very real. Oh yeah, Alicia Keys is one of the sexiest women alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDcISV0NEJI

The diary of one of the most sexy women alive!
Maybe it was the hair that made me not recognize him
And to think I used to hate this guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons