Friday, September 03, 2010

Late Night Music Part 63........."Up, Up, and Away!"

Last night we went down, so it was only natural tonight that we had to go up. Nothing fancy here folks, just didn't wanna show favoritism.

To be in this category the SONG TITLE had to have the word "UP" in it. Also recieving votes in this category were "When A Woman's Fed Up" by R. Kelly (no pedophiles allowed on the list), "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes (they already had their appearance- one hit wonders don't get two entries), "Crank It Up" by Ashley Tisdale, "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban,

"Looking Up"- Paramore. I have to be honest, I just wanted to figure out a way to make a list that featured Paramore. I am gonna do ahead an make it official- they have taken over Third Eye Blind as my favorite current band. Something about Hayley Williams singing and their songs just is so ridiculously awesome, and the fact that she is from Meridian makes it even cooler. Just the way this live performance starts building up energy and then Williams coming on stage is just so awesome! How is she not dizzy? Is she getting hyped up or throwing a temper tantrum? Paramore is slowly catching Hootie and the Blowfish and Earth, Wind, and Fire as "band I would most like to see live that I haven't already seen". I think Paramore also shows everyone that you don't have to be a country band to come out of Nashville. I think one of the biggest misunderstanding about the Nashville music scene is that it is all country. Yes, it is the country music capital of the world, but it's called "music city" for a reason. This song is featured on their latest album "Brand New Eyes". What a great song to open a set with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWRLqh0-DeM

"Giving Up The Gun"- Vampire Weekend. Ok, let me say that this song is off of Vampire Weekend's latest album "Contra". They admit that it is named after the famous video game. Dorks? I'll let you decide when you watch the video. I remember when I saw them for the first time on Jay Leno a few years back and I have always been really impressed despite their obvious dorky persona (but I think it is part of their act). Bonus points for Jake Gyllenhaal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccKotFwzoY

"Burnin' Up"- Jonas Brothers. Wow, two straight entries where I have broken an "unwritten rule". Yes, these guys are cheesy. Yes, this video is totally stupid. Yes, the majority of their fans are under 14 years old. However, I think the Jonas Brothers have the unfortunate luck of just being young and related, as being brothers and under 21 is gonna make you dorks when you try to have a band (see Hanson- they are at least KINDA cool now right?). I hate the fact they actually utter the line "I can't grow a moustache" at the end- I feel like so dirty. I'm tired of trying to reach for reasons to make these guys seem cool- maybe there aren't any. Oh well, enjoy the video. Oh wait! That's it! Just watch, you'll find yourself getting their songs stuck in your head- that makes them cool, right? Oh, thought I'd try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScXLHgPcZuc

"Caught Up"- Usher. I've always been a so/so Usher fan. I think he has some good songs, but he's one of the guys out there, that you ladies have heard me say "makes me sick". It's seriously not fair for a guy to be able to dance and move that perfect, look that cool, and have the perfect cheek bones and facial features- where did I go wrong? This isn't Usher's best song, but dang that guy can dance! Perfect example of how cool Usher is- the guy was dating freaking Chili from TLC and dumped her! Name a single guy you know that would blow being with a woman like that! Oh, by the way, I don't know the actor's name, but the "bad guy" in the video is Detective James Carter's cousin who owns the pool hall in the first "Rush Hour".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TKaXirF_2A

"Wake Me Up When September Ends"- Green Day. I had no idea this video was so stupid. I hate when bad videos ruin good songs (see Phil Collins video from the last entry "I've Fallen, and I Can't Get Up!"). Green Day is a strange band. They sing songs about being a "basket case" and then sing songs like this. I'm gonna take points off for Billie Joe Armstrong's make up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjNJmwwf7QA

"Caught Up In You"- .38 Special. This is a cool song by a cool band, but this video's unintentional comedic value is seriously off the charts. I feel like I'm watching a cross between a stupid 1980's beer video and a Devo video. My question is why in the world do they have the two sweaty guys arm wrestling in a bar? I've never seen that- is that realistic? Note to white people out there- please stop dancing like this. Also, how much do you think Budweiser paid the band for product placement in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg21Rkew874

"Up All Night"- Classified. I was torn on this one. Classified is the stage name of Luke Boyd, a white Canadian rapper from Nova Scotia. Does anyone else think they are listening to Eminem ripoff when they hear this song? Yeah, I thought so too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5RUc2e568

"Start Me Up"- Rolling Stones. One of my favorite sports songs ever! I loved this song in my days as an intramural director on championship nights! In 1981, the Stones were facing rumours of band turmoil and imminent break up (much like another pretty popular British band), due to their seemingly declining popularity. However, their album "Tattoo You" took 1981 by storm with this song leading the way- kind of appropriate ya think? Yes, I think the Stones are awesome, and I love Mick Jagger, but the guy isn't the best at pronouncing his words. I kid you not- until I was probably 17 years old I thought this song was called "mafia".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed36UQX8kXQ

"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"- Wham!. In 1999, George Michael came out of the closet as a homosexual. For those of us who had half a brain, we figured it out by simply watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A&ob=av3e

"Dress You Up In My Love"- Madonna. I am shocked at the Michael Jackson-esque freaking out by her FEMALE fans. Why did little girls wanna be like her? Was I asleep or do I simply not remember Madonna being that much larger than life? Wow- I knew that by 1985 (which is about the time of this performance) she was a big enough whore to be in a movie like "Desperately Seeking Susan" with Rosanna Arquette, but seeing this video is almost scary. I always laugh at the irony of her 1984 smash album "Like A Virgin" and that songs like this were included on it. I have to admit that I've been a huge fan of Madonna's later work ever since "Bedtime Stories" and "Ray of Light", but this here makes me feel dirty- let me go wash my hands and then I'll keep typing.....hold on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6I5hb9p7Y0

"Party Up (Up In Here)"- DMX. DMX USED to be a cool rapper. He lost his street cred and his status as a rapper on this song. Did he really expect us to be scared of him after this? He released two banging albums in 1998 (I always thought he released them too quick- maybe he should have saved some of his stuff for later) "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, and Blood of My Blood", only to be followed by "And Then There Was X" which featured crap like this. He's gone on to make bad "action movies" after the decent "Belly" in 1999 and get arrested a few times- still not getting his street cred back from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R96CTtFtyr0

"Light Up The World"- Desperation Band. Some people say videos and songs like this get old, but this one really got me. Desperation Band is a Christian band from Colorado and this song and video are very powerful. Some of you saw my status I had about life the other day- this one pretty much sums it up. The numbers are the beginning of this video are powerful and staggering. I've always said that you don't have to "give birth" (even though so many of you women understandably crave it) to be a parent. There are children out there who are craving to have parents. Man, what a moving song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhB5lcNZfvQ

"Stir It Up"- Bob Marley and The Wailers. No, he isn't saying "steer". Most people forget that this song was recorded and made famous by Johnny Nash in 1972 even though Bob Marley wrote the song in 1967, only to be re-recorded later by Marley to have his first hit in the United States. So, is it a cover song? That one is up for debate. I've always been a big Marley fan, but what in the world does he keep looking at? He looks like he's trying to keep an eye on a kid or something. He almost doesn't look lke he's even focused on the song. Bonus points for his band's outfits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2GZqQOuRw

"Light Up The Sky"- Yellowcard. Another band I always love to have an excuse to put on here. I know I talk about it all the time, and yes, these guys rock. However, I can't get used to seeing the violin guy going to town while the rest of the band rocks out on the drums and guitars. I know it sounds good, it's just weird looking is all. This song, featured on "Paper Walls" is probably the best song on the album. I still favor their debut album "Ocean Avenue" and second album "Lights and Sounds" immensely over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0FS6Am488&ob=av2e

"Pick-"up" Man"- Joe Diffie. Just for you country fans- now shut up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGs-T5FNAyc

BONUS VIDEOS- "Hallelujah"- Paramore. Absolutely love this song by Paramore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYlOXVdVcQ&ob=av2e

"Year 3000"- Jonas Brothers. Stuck in my head after it started playing in rotation at Applebee's. DANG IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d64_AJTKsMA

Paramore
I did it again!
George, seriously, we ALWAYS knew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons