Monday, October 25, 2010

Late Night Music Part 70........"Dinner Time"

I was really hungry tonight and actually thought of this topic while I went down stairs to get some food out of the pantry at around 1:30am. It's amazing where influence comes from sometimes. Oh well, anything in the name of journalism, right?

In order to be considered in this category, the SONG TITLE had to feature an actual food or beverage that was actually used in that context. This would disqualify "Rasberry Beret" by Prince and "Glass Onion" by the Beatles. Also receiving votes in this category were "Tequila Sunrise" by the Eagles, "American Pie" by Don McLean, "Lemon" by U2, "I Just Don't Want Coffee" by Caedmon's Call, "The Moon, Merlot, and Me" by Mason Douglas, and "Two Pina Coladas" by Garth Brooks.

"God Of Wine"- Third Eye Blind. What better band to lead off this list than one of my absolute favorites! This song closed out their debut album in 1997, and does so in a magical fashion, as this song shows their true greatness as a band. I have to be honest, while I love this song, I am totally confused at what the meaning of this song is. Stephan Jenkins has said that it's written from a "cellular perspective when cells give way" it doesn't help me. Yeah, I'm lost bud. However, I am impressed that he actually has a great live performance here without sounding hoarse- something I always joke about with him. Former guitarist Tony Fredianelli looks awesome playing the guitar here, but it just isn't the same without original guitarist Kevin Cadogan. I don't care what anyone says, Third Eye Blind is just not the same band without him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXf8pQVQdUU

"Chicken Fried"- Zac Brown Band. In 2008, the Zac Brown Band burst onto the scene with this hit song which helped propel them to the Best New Artist Grammy in 2010. From their album "The Foundation", this song talks about the band beginnings in Georgia. I love this video's portrayal of the band as a simple bunch of country boys, something which has been missing from country music for a while. This song is a strong candidate to be sung by me in my next karaoke performance, whenever that actually gets to take place. Zac Brown actually wrote and began performing this song in 2000, but added the last verse after Sept. 11, and then considered the song finally "finished".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ujS1er1r0

"Cheeseburger In Paradise"- Jimmy Buffett. Always great to feature a great Mississippian on "Late Night Music". Long before his "get drunk and get thrown out of NBA basketball game days" Jimmy Buffett was still a cool quasi singer with a beach persona, but still made some good country music. His 1978 album "Son of a Son of a Sailor" not only continued this persona, but it also spawned this crowd favorite as evidenced by this video here. The story behind this song is hilarious. Buffett was on a sailing trip in the British Virgin Islands and had been living off of canned foods and peanut butter for a few days. He got so hungry he began to crave a cheeseburger. He was shocked to find that in Road Town, Tortola, BVI, that there was actually a restaurant that served "American Cheeseburgers" and Buffett obviously ate and ordered one. While he admitted that the burger sucked, he said it was like "manna from Heaven" because his vision had come true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBsPZV14I-k

"Chai Tea Latte"- Angel Taylor. Up and coming artists Angel Taylor performs this great song from her debut album "Love Travels". Her sooth voice and deep lyrics remind me a lot of Colbie Caillat. This song is obviously about an interracial relationship that is falling apart. I like this song and I like all of her music (and I have a feeling that she will soon be a household name due to her being pushed very hard by VH1's "you oughta know" feature.......and by me on my freaking facebook wall- seriously?), but I can't understand why she has her eyes covered here. Bonus points for playing the piano without looking, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjgcfPzi2s

"Mexican Wine"- Fountains of Wayne. Fountains of Wayne followed up their hit single "Stacy's Mom" from their 2003 album "Welcome Interstate Managers" with this just as silly song and video, which was kind of strange because if you listen to the rest of the album, it has a much more serious tone- and this could have been the reason that the band did not become bigger because I think alot of people viewed them as a spoof band to a certain extent, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, despite the attempted star power draw of Drew Carey in this video, the song failed to catch on, and Fountains of Wayne will forever be known as a one hit wonder band. Bonus points for that yacht.....and those women!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4blhM9IU3A

"Poundcake"- Van Halen. After David Lee Roth left Van Halen in a lurch, they hired Sammy Hagar and became what was perceived "soft" by many loyal fans. So, in 1991, Van Halen released For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge just to try to get censored and try to seem more "edgy". I'll let you figure out the acronym on that one. The album was actually conceived by Hagar's long time friend and famed boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. The album went on to spawn VH's biggest hit post Roth "Right Now"- remember that one from the Pepsi Clear commercials? That one really worked out. Anyway, great performance here from the 1991 VMAs. Bonus points for Arsenio Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFUVmLVqRzc

"Tea And Sympathy"- Jars of Clay. Jars of Clay released their sophomore album "Much Afraid" in 1997, and were determined to disprove the fact that they were considered by most people in Christian and mainstream music that they were nothing more than a "garage band". While the true fans saw how deep their lyrics were,"Much Afraid" features songs like this, and was "less heavy" in many regards. This song is all about miscommunication between people and how harsh words can ruin a relationship, and how hard it is to fix it once it is broken. I would have liked to have seen this song released as a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFu06nKynQ4

"Champagne High"- Sister Hazel. Wow, probably my favorite song on this list. What an incredible song. I remember when Sister Hazel premiered this song live on "Rick Dees and the Weekly Top 40" (yes I was a dork that would listen to the whole countdown on the weekends) to promote their upcoming album "Fortress", and I was instantly blown away. As lead singer Ken Block said and obviously shows, the song is about a man showing up at his old lover's wedding and not expecting to feel anything, but feeling regret in the way their relationship went as the ceremony takes place. I'm gonna go ahead and nominate him though for the "lead singer who looks most like a character from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series" award though. What do you think? Bonus points for Stuart Scott- I'm gonna go ahead and make that the "most random moment in music video history". I definitely never saw that one coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLcDhIWxuY

"Water Runs Dry"- Boyz II Men. Great song here from their 1994 album "II". I remember seeing this song performed live with a piano instead of guitar. Was different, but definitely cool. Also, I was never impressed with the woman in this video. Boyz II Men usually had really good looking women in their videos, but I'm not too knocked out with this one. Boyz II Men to me has always made really cool videos, I don't think they get enough credit for that. Even late into their careers and recently they have made some pretty complex and interesting videos, including my personal favorite "The Color of Love". I guess it isn't quite a lost art just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N9opF-PK5k

"Straight Tequila Night"- John Anderson. Watch the video and laugh. Then laugh knowing that I've seen John Anderson in concert..........twice. While this song and video are quite funny, 1992's album "Seminole Wind" marked John Anderson's comeback, as he went a whole 9 years between #1 singles- something that even in country music circles is unheard of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyGU4nzhirI

"Chocolate High"- Musiq Soulchild and India Arie. Yes! I love this song! I know I featured this one as a bonus video in "Girl Power!", but I can't get over what a great onscreen duo India Arie and Musiq make- I really wish they could have made their relationship work out just for more songs like this. This song was featured on India's 2009 album "Testimony: Vol. 2; Love and Politics".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8R-vBB4O4

"Strawberry Wine"- Deana Carter. Be honest- none of us care about this song. Deana Carter was the hottest woman in country music when this song came out and was until a woman named Carrie Underwood came along. Anyway, I always laughed because some guy out there thinks he's such a bad ass because he is the real guy that this song is about. Must be tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up06CryWQpE

"Banana Pancakes"- Jack Johnson. Jack's album "In Between Dreams" is one of my favorite albums. Actually, this song has never been really one of my favorite JJ songs just because of the rest of the album being so good, but this is still a good song nonetheless. I guess I would like this song a little bit better if I actually tried banana pancakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Graa_Vm5eA

"Sex and Candy"- Marcy Playground. I'm not even gonna say anything- just watch the video and figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAXltfj8-Y

"Vanilla Twilight"- Owl City. Wow, I keep finding ways to put electro/synthpop acts on here. Does that tell us something? I'm also gonna nominate Owl City as the "artist who looks most like the gay weird guy in "The Wedding Crashers"", and also throw in Shaq being in this video as the new "most random moment in music video history". but a funny one. Great song here, I really like his songwriting and his diversity even in his genre- I'm really looking forward to his second album. Also, please note that I am referring to "him" because Owl City is not a band, it is the stage name of Adam Young- please get it straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIz2K3ArrWk

"Candy"- Cameo. YIKES! My eyes hurt! Make it stop! PLEASE! This has got to be the stupidest worst most horrible video I've ever had on here. How can a song be so good but be so ridiculous when you get behind a camera? Is that a thong he's wearing? And MAN THESE GUYS CANNOT DANCE! Larry Blackmon should be ashamed of himself and crawl in a hole and never come back after being filmed in this video. I almost feel like he was drugged and this video is blackmail material. I wish I could find a decent video of the closing scene in "The Best Man" where they all electric slide to this song at the wedding. Much more beautiful people dancing in that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn8KYD1Vco0

"30,000 Pound of Bananas"- Harry Chapin. Please take the time and listen to this entire song with all the alternate endings and Harry's explanation of each one. Not only is it hilarious, it shows Harry Chapin's true gift of a "storyteller", as he claimed to be. This song, featured on his album "Verities and Balderdash" remained a crowd favorite until his death and also, believe it or not, is based on a true story of a banana truck wreck in Scranton, PA in 1965. Here's the picture- http://whizzo.blogspot.com/2006/07/harry-chapins-30000-pounds-of-bananas.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMye94wMfk

BONUS VIDEOS- "Sherry Fraser"- Marcy Playground. Definitely their best song and also from their self-titled album- I had no idea this song even had a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhL3VOOatA

"Tea and Sympathy"- Janis Ian. Just because I didn't want to include two songs with the same title. Great live performance here from the song from her 1976 hit album "Between The Lines".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9-EMi87--Y

Angel Taylor
I'm sorry, that guy looks like a pirate
the biggest loser of the emergence of Carrie Underwood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons