Sunday, September 12, 2010

Late Night Music 9/11 Edition Part 65............."Child's Play"

I've always been fascinated by kid groups that hit it big in the music industry. I always wonder whether they'll have a great long career, or if they're just a prodigy that was pushed hard by their parents/manager and get burned out at an early age, or are they part of a trend that will quickly fade out despite the act's talent? No matter their story, kid acts continue to sweep the nation selling out concerts, winning awards, and stealing teenage girls hearts with every note they sing. Whether we wanted to be one, or whether we just like laughing at them, this list takes a look at some of the best (and worst) child acts in music history.

In order to be eligible for this category the artist at the time of the RECORDING had to be under 18 years old, not the video. Also, the entire group had to be under 18 years old. This would disqualify N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, The Jackson Five, and most family groups. Also receiving votes in this category were "Good Morning Little Schoogirl" by Jonny Lang, "She's My Girl" by Billy Gilman, "Come Clean" by Hillary Duff, and "Party In The USA" by Miley Cyrus (just because it gets played ALL THE TIME IN APPLEEBEES!!!!). Lil' Bow Wow will not appear anywhere on this list, give it up guys- he sucks.

"Baby"- Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris. I am very aware of the fact that Justin Bieber has now cracked "Late Night Music" twice in the last 4 entries- WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO! Like always, part of me wants to think JB is cool. Seriously, what 16 year old guy wouldn't wanna be like him? I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth, but this kid REALLY reminds me of a goofy white Usher. Just watch the video and really listen to his style of singing. Call me crazy, but I think I'm right on this one. Bonus points for Luda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

"Before You Walk Out Of My Life"- Monica. I have to admit that when 1995's "Miss Thang" and its first single "Don't Take It Personal" came out, I was NOT impressed at all. I thought it was another attempt to bring a new kid soul singer on to the scene after the r & b kid boy bands fizzed out in the early 90's. However, when her second song and video came out, I started to come around. Monica was 15 years old at the time of this video being filmed. I don't know many girls that age that carry themselves like this. She was already dripping with talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1yB1V81uEU

"The Crazy Things I Do For Love" - Sammie. As embarassing as it sounds, Jay Money and I listened to this CD "From The Bottom To The Top" all the way to and from Brazil in 2000. For some reason we thought it was cool to listen to a 13 year old kid who had more swag than either one of us will ever have. I can't get over how cool this song is. Sammie has recently resurfaced and recently collaborated with Trey Songz for an extended play called "Coming of Age" to proceed the release of his new album coming out this year. Should be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgjMYKCVWs

"Uptight (Everything's Alright)"- Stevie Wonder. Long before "Superstitious", "I Just Called To Say I Love You", "Golden Lady", and "Ribbon In The Sky", Stevie Wonder was a child star sensation with Motown in 1963 and struck big time with this 1965 hit at the tender young age of 15. Stevie Wonder always looks like he's having a great time on stage. This was also the first song co-written by Stevie Wonder. It was said that in the 60's Stevie Wonder caused so much for Barry Gordy (teachers, parents, doctors) that he almost didn't want to sign the Jackson 5 just because he feared the same issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14hskyBXkPo

"Where's The Love?"- Hanson. Ok, don't laugh. I take alot of crap for it, but I've always defended Hanson. Yes, I know their haircuts look ridiculous and they look stupid when they sing, but these guys are NOT a bad band. At the time of this video, they were 12, 15, and 17. They also sang all the vocals, played most of the instruments, and wrote most of the music/lyrics. So tell me how that makes them a bad band? Maybe their image was goofy, but you can't deny these guys talent. The album "Middle of Nowhere" was actually pretty decent despite the bubble gum image of the band. After their voices changed, and they matured a little bit, Hanson continues to record and has some really good material. Their 2004 album "Underneath" is, to me, one of the best albums of 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5obmgq6u0&ob

"Call Me A Mack"- Usher. In 1993, John Singleton was making another one of train wreck story of the ghetto movies, "Poetic Justice" which featured larger than life icons Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur and still managed to be a terrible movie, as most Singleton movies wind up being. However, the movie drew attention because of the smash hit "Again" by Janet Jackson which was nominated for tons of Grammys in 1994. However, stuck on the soundtrack was a 15 year oldkid that no one had heard of from Chattanooga, Tennessee. That singer was the soon to be very famous Usher, who was known then by his whole name Usher Raymond. "Call Me A Mack" wound up being a minor hit on his debut album "Usher", but most people got into him 3 years later when "My Way" hit the airwaves. This video really cracks me up. All these beautiful 20 something year old women going crazy over this kid who can't even drive. Oh to be an entertainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gp_trV1gbk

"Ready"- N Toon. This is my favorite, not because of the song being good (decent song), the group (extrememly stereotypical and goofy), or the video (completely ridiculous), but the fact that I actually saw these kids sing live one time in a performance I will never forget. In 2000, Jackson had an independent league baseball team the DiamondKats which had a black general manager who told the Clarioin-Ledger his goal was to "get more African-Americans to the baseball stadium". Well, in a blatant effort, he booked Sammie in a pregame concert with the opening act of N Toon. Me and Jay Money actually showed up for the game that night right after the concert ended and we were surrounded by scantily clad 11-15 year old girls who were dying to be seen by these boy bands. Anyway, before the game started, it was announced that N Toon would be singing the national anthem. Actually, it was pretty hard to hear over all the screams. As I had my hand over my heart in reverence to the song, I quickly began laughing because what happened was the worst national anthem rendition I ever heard.........hands down, not even close, no doubt, no questions asked. It was worse than Carl Lewis. I don't remember who won that game that night, but I remember wondering how those kids had a recording contract. It was no surprise to me when these kids faded off into obscurity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW3g3dilM-A

"Iesha"- Another Bad Creation. Ok, while I'm on my soap box of dogging the 90's r & b kid groups, I have to remind everyone that "Coolin' At The Playground Ya Know" by Another Bad Creation was the first CD I ever bought in 1990. Fact about this song- Boyz II Men is singing background vocals. I also wonder when I see these kids if the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NCAA ever paid these kids for advertising all their teams. I've never seen so much team gear in my life. Bonus points for the grandmother at the beginning of the video. I have to ask though- doesn't Dallas Austin look not excited to be in this video? It's almost like that kid is an annoying little boy that won't leave him alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPIK7Fz_g4&ob

"Picture To Burn"- Taylor Swift. Here is another artist I am quick to defend. One of the things that really upset me after her Grammy domination recently were the facebook posts I saw by many r & b/hip-hop fans who said that "oh yeah, the over privileged white kid wins again" and "of course the white girls wins". I'm sorry, but Taylor Swift may not the best singer in the world or the best guitar player, but her songs are freaking good. She was 16 at the time of her first album release and was 17 by the time this video came out. This is also one of my favorite songs to play on "Band Hero" when my little sister sings. She can rock this song, but not as good as Taylor Swift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCMqcFAigRg&ob

"How Do I Live"- LeAnn Rimes. I have to admit, I got sick of the hype around LeAnn Rimes when "Blue" came out and Y101 screaming that she was the "GIRL FROM PEARL!" every time she came on the radio. She was 14, not very attractive and had one album. Yeah she was from Mississippi, but I was already sick of her. However, when this song came out in 1997, this 15 year old stole my heart. If I was a woman, I would always sing this song karaoke, and it's still one of my favorite songs to sing background vocals to while LeAnn sings it. I really like the Trisha Yearwood version of this song too, but something about this one-man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e8ryPDKWo

"Complicated"- Avril Lavigne. This Canadian sensation who was just 17 jumped into the mainstream with this debut single and worldwide hit. I have to admit that I never really listened to the words until just now. I think it's cool that a 16 year old (at the time of writing) could write something this deep. I've never been a huge Avril Lavigne fan, but I'll always really like this song. Bonus points for acting crazy in the mall in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPBIwQyPWE&ob

"I Can't Wait Another Minute"- Hi Five. Hi Five would have been HUGE, but it was a little group called Boyz II Men that was around at the same time that kind of squashed their hopes. Nevertheless, these kids from Waco, Texas and Tulsa, Oklahoma shot to the top of the r & b charts with this song with the late Tony Thompson singing the lead vocals. I've featured this one on here a few times, but this is still one of my favorite slow jams from the 90's, and is without a doubt my favorite skating rink song ever. What would have happened if Tony Thompson had dropped that camcorder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1xRW1CYpik

"Summer Vacation"- The Party. Ok, here is a group I really liked, but I won't try to defend them. The Party was 5 former members of the new Mickey Mouse Club "MMC" that "outgrew" the show at 15 and broke off to form this group. I actually was really excited to buy their debut album and actually wrote them a fan letter when I was 10 years old. I can't believe I actually liked this song. DeDe Mangroo was so sexy though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO8qGcYDQBo

"Understanding"- Xscape. Wow, I am finding alot of ways to put my favorite r & b girl group on here. In 1992, Xscape released their debut album "Hummin' Coming At Cha" with no member of the group older than 16 years old at the time. The album went on to be nominated for 3 Grammys and featured this smash hit which first introduced the world to Xscape- even if their era was rather short. Tameka Cottle (the future Mrs. T.I.) has said that this song was so "universal" in appeal that they were destined for success. I would be curious what she has to say now, but oh yeah, she's in jail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5J5jUDcnA&ob

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love?"- Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers. Here is a clip of the original kid group, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers performing their one and only hit, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?". Lead singer Frankie Lymon was only 14 at the time of this performance. While they were brief, the Teenagers were groundbreaking in the fact that because they were half black and half latino, they were one of the first integrated groups in American popular music, particularly in the doo wop genre, as most integrated groups were in the jazz genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUW0n2TdWs

"Jealous Girl"- New Edition. Very obscure song by New Edition off of their debut album "Candy Girl" in 1983, but later covered by Another Bad Creation 7 years later. This makes sense since Michael Bivens was the producer of their album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmdmsjDpaM

"Ben"- Michael Jackson. Great performance from MJ here with one of his first solo hits (and he was only 14 and already a household name!). I really like this song, but every time I think about the story behind this song I have to laugh. In 1972, the song was originally offered to Donny Osmond, but he turned it down, because it was the title song for the movie of the same name which was about a boy and his PET RAT, which was the leader of a pack of killer rats that killed everyone in the town, but Ben remained loyal to his child friend. Excuse me while I ask what in the hell they were thinking about on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36DO_nrJeA

"My Baby"- Lil' Romeo. Lil' Romeo rode his daddy's (Master P) coattails to release one of Cash Money's first non-explicit singles with this song about all the little girls that follow Lil' Romeo around. He actually performed this song at the 2002 Michael Jackson special. Yeah, I know I was thinking the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuuUXnhfQGI

"Jump, Jump"- Kriss Kross. Whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvSUJjVYKFU

"I Think She Likes Me"- The Moffatts. I'm not joking on this one. These four brothers from British Columbia actually made headlines with this song in 1995. Just watch.....and try not to laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ji8h0gl7k4

BONUS VIDEOS- Sometimes these kids go on to have great careers!

"U Should've Known Better"- Monica. In 2002, Monica had grown up a little bit and released this song, still my favorite song by her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPJTxuY7G8

"Love In This Club"- Usher feat. Young Jeezy. I wish I could be this cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5e0zHRzHc

"Underneath"- Hanson. A great video of Hanson's recent material. One of my favorite songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og8How4IYZ8

"Maybe Tomorrow"- Jackson Five. Still my favorite J5 song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ-cqsNo-8

"Still In Love With You"- New Edition. Just because Devon looks like a grown up Ralph Tresvant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT1MAzyUkJE&ob

Hanson- Middle Of Nowhere

Wow
Ladies and gentlemen, the first CD I ever bought

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons