Monday, October 25, 2010

Late Night Music Part 71.........."Always"

Few things in life are there for ALWAYS. It's a simple word, but a powerful term in the same. Think about it- how many things in life are there always? While it's a simple word, we see in music how a simple word like "always" can make some great music. There is not a song on tonight's list that isn't a deep lyrical work of art.

In order to be considered for this category, the SONG TITLE had to include the word "always". Also receiving votes in this category was "Always" by Saliva, "Something's Always Wrong" by Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Always On Time" by Ja Rule and Ashanti, and "Always" by Trina ft. Monica. "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston will NOT appear on this list- seriously do I have to explain why?

"Always"- Bon Jovi. In 1995, we took a family vacation to the United Kingdom for spring break. The entire way there and back on the airplane, I listened to this song seemingly 100 times, and it kinda stuck with me ever since. As evident from his previous album, "Keep The Faith", Jon Bon Jovi was going for a more pop/mature sound and was moving away from his heavy metal days. In 1994, this was even more evident on his album "Cross Road", and this lead single became his best selling single to date. I didn't know this, but this song was originally written for the 1993 film "Romeo Is Bleeding" starring Gary Oldman, but after Bon Jovi saw the movie, he thought it sucked so bad he wouldn't let his song be in it- that's pretty bad. I've never seen the movie, but I'll take his word for it. To top it off, infinite bonus points for Keri Russell and Carla Gugino in this video. Keri Russell is super hot in her own right, but MAN I've always had a thing for Carla Gugino! I loved her on "Spin City" and think she is STILL sexy 15 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMwcO6_hyA

"Always"- Blink 182. Blink 182 were on top of the punk world with their self-titled album which featured the songs "I Miss You" and "I'm Feeling This", which was featured on the Madden 2003 soundtrack. However, to put icing on the cake, they released this song in 2004. Personally, I was just glad they finally let Tom Delonge sing- Mark Hoppus had been bogarting the microphone for a while. This is one of Blink's better songs, and is actually pretty deep if you listen to the lyrics. I love this video also- probably their best, just not the funniest. Bonus points for Sophie Monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvtJVku_mJw

"Always And Forever"- Luther Vandross. Like this one wasn't gonna be on here. Most people forget that this song was actually a cover (COVER SONG ALERT!) that was first made famous by the funk group Heatwave in 1976, but was covered by Luther Vandross in 1994 for his album "Songs". I think Luther Vandross could cover Megadeath and make it sound good. That guy was incredible. Just never understood why he sweated so much. I hear this song and just wanna flap my wings like an angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4wAmsGyN0

"Always Be My Baby"- Mariah Carey. In 1995, Mariah Carey had established herself as one of the sexiest women in the history of music, a status she still holds to this day. Behind the scenes, she was feuding with her then husband/manager/record executive Tommy Mottola who wanted her music to stay "middle of the road" despite Mariah Carey wanting to venture into the hip-hop scene. While, it was a slow transition, the release of "Daydream" began that transition, and is still one of Mariah's best albums. In March 1996, she released "Always Be My Baby", and created the everlasting image of her swinging from that tire swing and into my heart. This song was actually co-written by Jermaine Dupri, and HAS to be the softest image song he's ever written. In 1997, Carey and Mottola divorced, adding himself to the long list of idiots who let beautiful women get away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfRNRymrv9k

"Always"- Building 429. I have to admit, that while I follow the genre, Building 429 gets forgotten in the discussion about really good Christian bands alot. They remind me alot of Rascal Flatts, and to a certain extent, Sister Hazel. I don't know, just the vibe I get from them. This song, from their 2008 self-titled album, is one of the most powerful songs recorded in recent Christian music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LTfueFPpM

"Always You"- Charice. I have to admit, when she appeared as Sunshine Corazon on the season premiere of "Glee" I had to giggle a little bit. You have to admit that Charice Pempengco looks like the typical stereotypical Asian nerdy girl, but man that girl can sing! Between her and Nina, I wanna know what they put in the water in the Philippines! I think as she gets older, she will get more beautiful as she still has the "little girl" qualities, but her voice is beautiful enough for me! This song written for her mother gives me chills......wow I had to stop writing for a second. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her on "Glee".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc-Z8WHdBCU

"She Always Gets What She Wants"- Prime Circle. Prime Circle is a band from Pretoria, South Africa. This is a good song, and a good video, but doesn't lead singer Ross Learmoth look like the lead singer from Smashmouth? His voice also, to me, sounds like the lead singer of Everclear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNHbWqtLY40

"Why Does It Always Rain On Me?"- Travis. Travis is a band from Scotland who hit it big with this song in 1999 about a trip to Israel in which it rained the entire time. Bonus points for singing with tape on the guy's mouth- that's dedication. Then, I'm gonna take those points away for the dead goat scene- that's pretty messed up. After watching this whole video, I'm almost tempted to take it off after the dude's ridiculously stupid hair and his stupid kilt. I know it's Scotland, but at least look like you aren't trying to freak us out.....for all of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwh3FmpZ7kg

"Always Remember Me"- Ry Cuming. Why do I keep discovering these foreign acts after I do an entry on their country? Ry Cuming is a new artist from Australia that has an incredible 5 o'clock shadow that would make even Derek Sheppard jealous. This is a great video- it actually makes me want to go to Australia even more. Is it just me, or does he look alot like Jude Law? Also, even though she doesn't appear in the video (obviously) Sara Bareilles sings background vocals on this song. Bonus points for that. Also, bonus points for being an awesome guitar player and not appearing playing one in the video- super cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQSU5nn76hM

"I Love You Always Forever"- Donna Lewis. I always felt weird for thinking she was so hot. I think part of it is that she is from Wales, and after visiting there (during the aforementioned trip in 1995), I just can't bring myself to actually think that a woman from Wales could actually be attractive. Great song though- I love how she rocks her fake blonde hair. On second thought, forget I said anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdWTeXWvOg

"Always On Your Side"- Sheryl Crow and Sting. One of my favorite duets ever! I wish this song would have been more popular, because this is a song I would definitely love to do karaoke sometime VERY soon. Sheryl Crow is a perfect example of a woman who gets more beautiful with age, as she is looking super sexy in this video- still one of my all time favorites. I like Sting and all, but why does he seem to have a duet partner in order to have a hit anymore? Maybe breaking up the police wasn't such a great idea after all. I do kinda hate that this song wasn't as big as "Picture" just due to the fact that Sting is a more talented than Kid Rock. This song actually hit #2 in Canada, but debuted at a lackluster #35 in the United States. To add insult to injury, the album version on 2005's "Wildflower" features only Sheryl Crow. It wasn't until the after the song was nominated for a 2007 Grammy that the duet version was put on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FseuxxcTlvA

"Always Be My Baby"- Sara Evans. Just for you country fans, and because Sara Evans is a first class cougar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vIzbK29Etw

"Always On My Mind"- Elvis Presley. Did you really think I'd leave off the King? This song written for Priscilla is one of Elvis's best ever. Willie Nelson also had a good version of this song, but his shaking bottom jaw was too hypnotizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za8cpM6cGYk

BONUS VIDEOS-

"Now And Forever"- Richard Marx. No reason, I just like this song, maybe I wanted to include another cool 5 o'clock shadow. Richard Marx always had a cool one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJmzxNmtn8

"Almost Lover"- A Fine Frenzy. I put this one because I wanted to put this one on here but then realized the title wasn't "Always Lover", but hey, it's a great song. Bonus points for A Fine Frenzy having one of the coolest stage names in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWsasqIoyk

I'd love to see that face as I daydream
sure, I'll take a picture with you and record a single, but there's no way you'll be on the album!
you be the judge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons