Thursday, January 27, 2011

Late Night Music Part 77........"More Guilty Pleasures"

I don't know what to say here. This list is pretty self explanatory. Sometimes, it's ok to admit you have a problem. Yes, I have a problem, with liking these songs.

In a rare feat, all songs receiving votes made this list. In order to qualify for this list, the song AND artist simply had to be referred to as "unacceptable". I did not lie about any of these. I am a fan of all of these songs.

"Party In The USA"- Miley Cyrus. I have to admit I've been blasting this song for about the last 30 minutes. Miley Cyrus wanted to get us ready for her upcoming 18th birthday with a more mature (if you wanna call it that) sound with the release of her EP "The Time Of Our Lives". I blame Applebee's for this one, this song plays constantly and I can't help but sing along. Did I mention I'm super glad Miley will be 18 soon? By the way, besides the obvious and borderline illegal reasons, this song qualifies as a guilty pleasure just because anyone who sings about Jay-Z and Brittney Spears in a song and you admittedly don't listen to either one makes you a complete idiot. I'm just saying. In the meantime, I don't see this song getting off of my rotation any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

"Year 3000"- Jonas Brothers. I gotta give the Jonas Brothers at least a little bit of credit on this one. At least they covered a song (COVER SONG ALERT!) by a pretty good British band called Busted, which reminds me alot of Blink 182. Be that as it may, Joe Jonas looks beyond ridiculous in this video (as if he didn't already), and doesn't even play the keyboard they have out for him? The guy not only looks like he's getting shot while he's singing he doesn't even play his dang instrument. Why do so many artists do that? Couple of interesting facts about this song. First of all, the original referenced Michael Jackson rather than Kelly Clarkson. Also, the original lyrics are far more sexually suggestive than this version. This song was also the Jonas Brothers first single to crack the top 40 peaking at #31 in 2007, as it was the lead single off of their self titled debut album with Hollywood Records. Part of me likes to think that if the Jonas Brothers could be like Hanson in a few years and not have their Disney persona they might actually be half way cool, but I'll keep on thinking.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d64_AJTKsMA

"Come Clean"- Hillary Duff. This single from the then 17 yeard old "Lizzie McGuire" star Hillary Duff has always been one of my closet favorites, and NOT because it was the theme song for the TV show for "Laguna Beach" (more on that on the next list- JUST GOT A GREAT IDEA!!!!), that in itself almost disqualifies it from this list- that is bad if you almost get disqualified from a guilty pleasure list for being wack- think about it. This song was later included on her 2004 album "Metamorphosis", and also cracked the top 40 of the Billboard charts peaking at #35, and actually cracked the top 10 in Canada. I remember this song and video making me wish for her 18th birthday much like I am soon anticipating Miley Cyrus's leap into adulthood. I'd love to see her in some bigger roles very soon, as I still consider Hillary Duff one of the best looking women in entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oodo2JiJOuo

"Far Away"- Nickelback. Yeah, I went there. Sorry guys, I really like this song. I find myself questioning why though because this song sounds just like every other slow song that Nickelback puts outs. Seriously, how are these guys famous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4y-RzVGrHg

"Invisible"- Clay Aiken. Ok, you might remember this one being retired by MTV's "TRL" in 2004, despite only being #36 on the Billboard Hot 100. I still scratch my head on this one. Due to his recent "American Idol" success, Clay Aiken was one of the hottest pop acts in the world at the time. To film this video, Clay Aiken invited 800 fans to be a part of the video shoot in Hollywood at the famous shopping center Hollywood and Highland. Despite the "fans" being invited, I still have a really hard time believing the sincerity of the cheering in this video. None of these "fans" seem real. I always thought Clay had a great voice, but he such a goob! Devon, I need your help on this one- does his being gay just draw those women to him? Do you guys have a secret potion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbhOVKhwO_4

"Paparazzi"- Lady Gaga. I still can't figure out why I love this song. Lady Gaga may have a magic spell on me, because I don't think she's attractive at all and this song makes no sense. She admitted herself that she wrote this song to try to "woo the paparazzi to fall in love with me". She also admitted that this travesty of a video is about "fame whoring yourself to death". Yeah, I'm scratching my head too. Oh yeah, fast forward to 2:30 to get to the song. Lady Gaga to me is the Ron Artest of music- I really think she's mentally handicapped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2smz_1L2_0

"I Kissed a Girl"- Katy Perry. To quote my good friend John Lassiter- "Katy Perry, what a disaster". Yep, I agree.......but I still love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLt5n0auPwM

"Working For The Weekend"- Loverboy. Yes, I realize Mike Reno and his "rock band" are Canadian, but nothing in this country or theirs despite it being in the 1980's should excuse those outfits. Mike Reno might be the goofiest lead singer ever, and he almost makes me mad that he can be even semi famous while being that big of a goober. Ok, now I'm getting mad. Love this song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutArtds6r8

"I Want You To Want Me"- KSM. I didn't do Cheap Trick, I used the cover version (COVER SONG ALERT) that was used as the theme song for the TV Show "10 Things I Hate About You" that aired on ABC Family. I really liked the movie (that was not a misprint), but I had no idea they had a show for it. I guess that explains why it was cancelled. KSM qualifies for this list just because they are "joint project" between Disney and The Go-Go's, yes THOSE Go-Go's who wanted a group to "mentor". Despite that, you gotta love the fact that this really is one of the best songs in the history of rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vQ9q3qMLMQ

"Goodbye"- Spice Girls. It was bad before Geri Halliwell left, but I really pulled out a song from their last album "Forever". The picture on the cover of this single kinda helped too (see below). Emma Bunton- super hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO00WUeATFM

"Never Ever"- All Saints. With the success of the Spice Girls, The UK thought they'd try to send us another all girl pop group with All Saints which burst on to American radios with this song in 1997 actually landing them in the top 5. Unfortunately for them, (and maybe fortunately for us) All Saints never really caught on the US, despite being superstars in Europe. This goes back to my theory that I always say rings true with gimmick groups/genres. NEVER TRY TO COPY THEM. You just wind up on lists like this. You may remember group member Shaznay Lewis having a supporting role in the critically acclaimed girl power film "Bend It Like Beckham".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEzU8bJaGu0

"Summer Girls"- LFO. I want make light of LFO due to the recent passing of lead singer Rich Cronin. However, this song really sucked. Why do I like it so much? I wish I was joking when I say that this song peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGG_FsC20

"Tattoo"- Jordin Sparks. Hey, at least I didn't put Chris Brown on here- even HE can't make this list. Maybe if Jordin Sparks wasn't an "American Idol" product she'd be a decent singer, but that whole persona makes her not cool, but man I love this song. Bonus points for the tattoos drawing themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspCzgXH0o0

"True"- Ryan Cabrera. I can't believe I actually saw this clown live at LSU once. He has without a doubt, no question, the worst hair ever. He makes me wanna slap him whenever I see his stupid face. Great song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWfA2gDvSI

BONUS VIDEOS- "Year 3000"- Busted. The original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdqO7odBYM

"I Want You To Want Me"- Cheap Trick. Still one of the best songs in the history of rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQ9dm7zaQU

You had me at "Goodbye"
10 more days.........
see what I mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons