Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Late Night Music Part 92........"The Final Frontier"

I'm still bitter about not being able to see the freaking eclipse a few months back because of the clouds. When I looked up in the sky tonight and could finally see the stars, this idea popped into my head and I started wondering about songs written about outer space. Every time I really sit back and look at the sky I'm seriously amazed on how big it really is and wish I had the smarts to be an astronomer. Without a doubt, the coolest field in the world. I could literally talk about how much I love astronomy all night, but I'll get on to the list.

To be considered for this list, the SONG TITLE had to feature something in outer space other than the sun. The sun will have its own list later. However, this would not include 30 Seconds To Mars, A Rocket To The Moon, or The Rocket Summer because none of their songs would qualify even though their band names would. "New Moon On Monday" by Duran Duran, "Desert Moon" by Dennis DeYoung, "Space" by Hootie and The Blowfish, "Stars" by Janis Ian, "Man On The Moon" by R.E.M., "Stars" by Firevision, "The Killing Moon" by Echo And The Bunnymen, and "Satellite" by P.O.D.

"Shooting Star"- Bad Company. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the best rock bands of the 70's first appearance on "Late Night Music". Kinda surprising, but at least I picked their best song to debut them with. This song from their 1975 second album "Straight Shooter" was based on the lives of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Janis Joplin. Also, surprisingly enough, while this song is included on basically every Bad Company compilation set and is still their fan favorite song, it was never released as a single. Two cool facts about Bad Company are that the band chose their name after seeing the 1972 Jeff Bridges movie "Bad Company" and thought it would be a cool name for a band. Jeff Bridges is pretty cool, so I can't blame them on that one. Also, the obvious is that Bad Company has got to be one of the few bands to record a song with the same name of the band AND it be a hit. That's when you know you're awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD2BwwGE9uo

"Shooting Star"- Harry Chapin. Great footage here from what has to be one Harry Chapin's last concerts in 1981 from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (been there!). This song was included on his well known and most famous 1974 album "Verities and Balderdash". This song was written about his grandparents, and despite it never being a hit, or even a single, it remained a fan favorite, and was an inspirational song to other artists, as it was covered by Pat Benatar at the Harry Chapin tribute concert in 1987. I smell a bonus video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQkhyAggEc

"Shoot The Moon"- Norah Jones. Man, this may be unprecedented, but the first 3 songs of this entry are all non-single album only songs. In 2002, Norah Jones burst onto the scene in a big way with her critically acclaimed multi award winning album "Come Away With Me". However, 10 million copies later, this song has always been my favorite song on the album, and has always been my favorite Norah Jones song. I always have to thank La'Tesha Smith for getting me into Norah Jones, and this was one of the first songs I ever heard from her, and it's always meant alot to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StbH6yIAGak

"Rocket Man"- Elton John. I found a few live versions of this song, but they just don't do the original justice. This song off of his 1972 album "Honky Chateau" has been said to have been (according to Bernie Taupin and Elton John) written as a sequel to David Bowie's "Space Oddity", but some reports also say it was written when Bernie Taupin spotted a shooting star shortly after reading the Ray Bradbury short story "The Rocket Man" from his 1951 "The Illustrated Man". Despite being one of his most well known songs, "Rocket Man" peaked at only #6 on the US charts despite "Honky Chateau" being a #1 album. This song is actually pretty difficult to sing, and I think that's why the quality of the recent live performances of this song aren't as good as the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LX7WrHCaUA

"Rocket"- Smashing Pumpkins. Smashing Pumpkins 1993 album "Siamese Dream" is still to me one of the best rock albums ever made. Not only is it an awesome album, Billy Corgan wasn't looking like an absolute idiot with a bald head yet. Also, I think James Iha still being in the band had a big deal to do with it too. Despite this song rocking hard like the rest of the album, it's also a really inspirational song and Billy Corgan even said that he wanted people to "be themselves" after listening to this song. Bonus points also for D'Arcy Wretzky still being in the band at this point. She looks like Gwen Stefani to me in a weird way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PtJu61fQ3Y

"Satellite"- Dave Matthews Band. In 1994, DMB released their album "Under The Table and Dreaming" with this being the final single released. Much of this album was dedicated to Dave Matthews' sister who was murdered in 1994, so this song, like most of the others, is very reminiscent. Bonus points for Carter Beauford singing background vocals and rocking the Atlanta Braves gear- I had no idea he sang background vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PtJu61fQ3Y

"Talking To The Moon"- Bruno Mars. I've featured this song before, but not this video. I really like this song, and wish Bruno Mars had a video for it. The user videos for this song are horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md08GtsHJ9g

"Moon River"- Andrea Ross. With all due respect to the late great Perry Como, this version right here is quite possibly the best I've ever heard. This girl has one heck of a voice, and the Andrew Lloyd Webber product from Broadway I think will very soon be recording some multi platinum albums after she wins a few Tony Awards. When Ross released this single and album of the same name in 2007 she was 16! This is AFTER she portrayed Gabriel Montez in the stage production of "High School Musical". Wow, she can't even buy beer yet and she's already destined for stardom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBjRnK5m5I

"Full Moon"- Brandy. Never been a huge Brandy fan despite her being from Mississippi. However, this was always my favorite song by her, and I really loved the remix that was featured on the "NBA Live" video game series. This song, from her 2002 "comeback" album of the same name failed to capture the success from 1998's "Never Say Never", and this video was panned because Brandy doesn't dance in it (she was 6 months pregnant- and I think they do a great job hiding it!), and some critics questioned the release of the video for that very reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgZz4L1UmxE

"To The Moon And Back"- Savage Garden. Why did I even put this song here? I guess I wanted to see what Devon would say. I've tried listening to these guys so many times just due to their immense popularity, but I just can't do it. This song sucks. Darren Hayes just tries too hard and I feel like he's propositioning me for sexual favors when he sings into the camera. Also, I hate the whole "everyone else is oblvious to the singer" theme in the video- very played out....even in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCm6gRHINqA

"Written In The Stars"- Elton John and LeAnn Rimes. I'm waving the "can't be in the same list twice rule" for Elton John because he's that awesome and because this song is a duet. This song from Elton John and Tim Rice's concept album "soundtrack" to the musical "Aida" featured all of the songs from the upcoming play covered by various artists from several genres including this one by Elton John and LeAnn Rimes (one of 4 Elton John would have on the album- the others being with Janet Jackson, one with Lulu, and another with "Aida" stars Heather Headley and Shari Rene Scott). Despite the worldwide success of the musical, this song was the only single released from the soundtrack album and peaked at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Rwv4iAqIQ

"Earth Song"- Michael Jackson. Ok yes I love Michael Jackson, and yes, his 1995 album "HIStory" was freaking awesome. However, this song was super played out before it even hit the radio and television. Michael Jackson was a sincere humanitarian, but like Eminem does all the time, you can't make music about the same social/personal issues over and over and over and over again. It gets old in a hurry. However, on a positive note, this video would make Al "I invented the internet" Gore proud. If this song was anyone but Michael Jackson it would quite possibly be the worst song ever. He pulls it off just because he was a great performer, but I hate this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi3VTSdTxU

"Shoot Down The Stars"- Gym Class Heroes. My heroes- no pun intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa1MRZEu1I

BONUS VIDEOS-

"Shooting Star"- Pat Benatar. From the Harry Chapin tribute concert in Carnegie Hall (ALSO been there!) in 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHybmrCSOHw

"Like We Used To"- A Rocket To The Moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US46cHVj0-M

"Brat Pack"- The Rocket Summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNqO5wV7dOs

"The Kill"- 30 Seconds To Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM

"Just The Way You Are"- Bruno Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

Bruno Mars
Smashing Pumpkins before Billy Corgan turned into a goblin
Thanks La'Tesha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons