Saturday, March 26, 2011

Late Night Music Part 90.....More "90's R & B"

Being that this is a landmark entry, I have to honor one of the finest decades of music with one of my favorite genres ever, and also to add another piece to one of my earliest and most "famous" entries. With the rise of the music videos in the mid 90's (and its eventual decline just a few years later) 90's R & B found a mainstream audience it had before lacked just due to the heavy airplay on cable networks. This led to some artists finding their most successful eras during this time. Several new labels including Island, Motown, and Jive all came to life or back from the dead in this era and have since gone on to sign and record some of the biggest names in music. So without any further ado, on to tonight's list.

Also receiving votes in this category were "Sukiyaki" by 4 p.m.", "Last Night" by Az Yet, "Shorty (Keep Playin' With My Mind)" by Imajin, "For You" by Kenny Lattimore, "I Miss You" by Aaron Hall, "Where I Wanna Be" by Donnell Jones, and "Too Close" by Next. "Down Low" by R Kelly was originally on the list, but was disqualified for being the most incredibly lame video in the history of music. As of I've said numerous times, NOT RECEIVING votes was "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. Do I really have to explain why? Also, due to them already receiving their own lists, Mary J. Blige and Boyz II Men were not featured on this list- they are in a class of their own.

"What Kind Of Man Would I Be"- Mint Condition. I think this is one alot of people forgot about. Mint Condition was always one of those groups that were never quite as popular as the others, but still sound really good. This was my favorite song by them, but I seemed to forget what they looked like, and then I remembered why they weren't as popular...I'm just saying. With that being said, this song from their 1996 album "The Definition of A Band" went on to be the second of their 2 Billboard Hot 100 Top 20 songs peaking at #17. Bonus points for Michelle Thomas, seen her just 2 years before her death. I have to admit that's pretty impressive seeing how she had a role on one of the top TV shows in the country at that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORva1mGyyJ0

"5 Steps"- Dru Hill. Just for all of you haters out there please pay attention. Woody is singing the first verse. Please stop saying her never sang. Just because he doesn't have rainbow hair and prance around like Sisqo doesn't mean he never sings! This final single from their 1996 self titled debut album sadly enough never charted, but it is still one of the favorite among fans. Then I watch the video and see Sisqo in Rec Specs and a Michigan basketball jersey and I have an idea of why this song never got any bigger on the charts. That look explains it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTlDtxFuBg

"I'd Die Without You"- P.M. Dawn. In 1992, Eddie Murphy's "Boomerang" upset nearly everyone at the theater after being much hyped by the media. However, the soundtrack remains one of the best soundtrack albums ever, and it includes this song that peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1992. P.M. Dawn also put the track on his 1993 release "The Bliss Album...?". P.M. Dawn always appeared to be a talented guy, but he just reminds me of a guy trying to be Prince that gained way too much weight along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qWlPCEnGM

"Bedtime"- Usher. I have dreams of being Usher in this video. Watch it and you'll see why. Included on his 1997 album "My Way", this has always been my favorite Usher song. However, when I watch this video I almost want to change my mind because I know if I sang the same song I wouldn't get the same response. He always made me jealous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TH8xpEmTA

"Get Gone"- Ideal. These guys had their 15 minutes of fame.........and literally got gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPCsH6XiZ_I

"Careless Whispers"- Tamia. I REALLY wish there was a video to this song. Not only is it a great version of the Wham! hit (COVER SONG ALERT!), it is just a phenomenal job of singing. Most people know that Tamia is married to NBA star Grant Hill, but most people don't know she is actually Canadian. It really doesn't matter, she's still, to me, one of the top 10 best looking singers of all time. Period. I smell a bonus video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIU3d-t3EQE

"Weak"- SWV. Oh Yes! SWV burst onto the scene in 1992 with their album "It's About Time" with this single being released in 1993. Not only did the song give the group their only #1 hit, it is also the shortest song in terms in number of letters/characters in the title and artist to ever be #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. This video also introduced the world to the beautiful Tamara Johnson-George. She would later be a castaway on "Survivor:Tocantins", and also is married to former NFL superstar Eddie George. I'm literally shocked that this song has gone this long without ever appearing one of my lists. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qiV2nS6Js

"Stay"- Destiny's Child. This song from 1999's "The Writing's On The Wall" has always been one of my favorite just because I heard it so much in Brazil. For some reason this song was widely popular there. I always wondered that. I never wondered why Destiny's Child was so popular though, do you really want me to tell you again how much I love Beyonce?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dAvU8qCfP4

"Reunion"- Maxwell. Before being the neo-soul superstar that he is today, Maxwell debuted with this 1996 album "Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite" which peaked at a modest #37 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart. This song was included on that album, and it gave us a glimpse of not only what the future held for all of us Maxwell fans, but for the future of R & B music. Maxwell was really before his time. Still, to me, one of the coolest guys in music. What an amazing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDEKGqH_ng

"Before You Walk Out Of My Life"- Monica. I can't think of this song without thinking about my dear friend Latrica McCool dancing around my living room in Hattiesburg singing this song while we were studying. I don't think I ever met a female that didn't love this song now that I think about it. I have to admit that when 1995's "Miss Thang" came out, I grew sick of Monica very quickly just because if I heard "Don't Take It Personal" one more time I was going to scream. Always hated that song. However, this song quickly changed my mind about Monica. This song peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100, while hitting #1 on the R & B charts, as did "Don't Take It Personal". That feat made Monica the youngest person in music history to have their first two single reach #1 on the R & B charts, being 14 years old at the time. I can't believe that- she sounds GROWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXtmQCE4MlE

"My First Night With You"- Mya. I love this song, but I hate this video but have to laugh hysterically at it. First of all, please forgive me if you are offended, but I have a huge problem with both parents in this video being black. Mya is obviously and outspokenly biracial with two great parents. Why in the world would you not want to represent that in the video? Shame on the video producers on that one, sorry had to get that in. Now, the reason I laugh so hard is because her overbearing father is played by none other than Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, who is probably best known as playing the overbearing Joseph Jackson in the famous TV Miniseries "The Jackson: An American Dream". If you ever have about 4 free hours and it's on Vh1, please watch if you haven't. It's a pretty good movie, but I promise it will make this video 3000x funnier. This song off of Mya's self titled debut album peaked at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. One other minor problem with the video. When this video was released in 1999, Mya was 20 years old. Why do we have her playing the part of a 15/16 year old going on her first date? Just a question. Sorry to be Debbie Downer on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qoxlVYyTU

"One In A Million"- Aaliyah. This title track from Aaliyah's 1996 album of the same name was released in 1997, and very surprisingly, never even charted on any of the major charts. However, it still received a fair amount of radio play due to the popularity of the video seen here. Ginuwine being in the video may have had a little bit to do with that, but if you notice, his music is nowhere to be found on this list........I'm just saying. I really hate it when I think about Aaliyah passing away. She had an incredible body and was so sexy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbWF1jwMhE

"Already Missing You"- Eddie and Gerald Levert. This song from their 1995 album "Father and Son" was always my favorite by the Leverts. It peaked at #7 on the Billboard R & B charts, and was only one of 3 duets the father/son duo had to ever hit the charts. I'd really liked to see Eddie Levert with the O'Jay's sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xDNmPn9SA

"You"- Jesse Powell. Jesse Powell is another one of those guys that thankfully was a one hit wonder. This song from his 1998 album "Bout It" was anything but that, but is still a great soul ballad. It peaked at #15 on the Billboard R & B charts, how appropriate, as this song brought Jesse Powell his 15 minutes of fame. Also, I don't care what he says, but I'm convinced that Jesse Powell is gay. What you think Devon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ZUUOfDmLk

"I Don't Ever Want To See You Again"- Uncle Sam. I actually saw him in concert and remember him doing this song. This video is terrible- I almost didn't put it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWasrUYMHgo

"My Boo". Ghost Town DJ's. Sorry, I had to go there. Another one hit wonder to end this list. My question is simply did anyone actually see what these ladies even look like? This song was released as a single on Jermaine Dupri's "So So Def All Stars", but we never saw who the artsits were. The only person who appears in the video who has anything to do with the song is Jermaine Dupri himself. Very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdMFB4BhrQ

BONUS VIDEOS- "So Into You"- Fabolos featuring Tamia. Have to have her on here. Grant Hill is so lucky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVucWRs-eWA

"As We Lay"- Kelly Price. This one just missed the requirements by a few months. This was when Def Soul was at the forefront of music for a short time. Great song here. Bonus points for the appearance by Shirley Murdock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytx8eYYgJyw

"Someone To Love"- Ruff Endz. Also missed out by a few months. I love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJZgJ8oEdw

Dru Hill
Aaliyah- One In A Million
Had to do it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons