Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Late Night Music Part 94.........."More Country"

Nothing clever here. Honestly, I had taken so long to write this one just because my headphones were screwing up and it was hard to hear the songs as I was writing, but I took one for the team here. Ok, I have now done two country lists in the last 7. Now please stop asking me to do country lists. I like country music, but it's probably my least favorite genre. These are some of my favorite country songs. But hey, at least this list gives us some smoking hot women!

It's obvious what it took to get on this list. In a rare occurrence, all songs receiving votes appear on this list.

"Love's Looking For You"- Miranda Lambert. Luckily, I don't have to say much about this video just because Miranda Lambert tells you the story behind it herself. This song, as she says, is included on her 2005 debut album "Kerosene". Every time I hear this song I get chills- this song is really incredible. Also, I am now officially naming Miranda Lambert the hottest female in Country Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOvY4f-USo

"Free"- Zac Brown Band. This performance from "The Late Show With David Letterman" gets bonus points right out of the gate for violin player Jimmy De Martini's Atlanta Hawks shirt. However, Zac Brown, as usual, looks like a hobo. This song was the last single off of their 2008 smash album "The Foundation", which was released nearly 2 years after the album first came out. This single gave a great segue to their live album "Pass The Jar", and their next studio album "You Get What You Give". I think this song and especially this performance show how good of a guitar player Zac Brown really is as well as how good his voice is. Despite looking like crap, the man is made talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzn9JnJbfUo

"It Won't Be Like This For Long"- Darius Rucker. Darius Rucker gets diversity bonus points for his diverse music he's released. First, we all know his work with Hootie and The Blowfish, and then his R & B album "Back To Then" (which I have featured before), and this country debut album in 2008 "Learn To Live". Despite this song being a tad bit stereotypical, I think it's a pretty good song, and I love Darius Rucker's voice. Also, like most of his solo material, it's pretty reminiscent. This song topped the country charts, and peaked at #36 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5zCaRaJ-kE

"Alcohol"- Brad Paisley. People have alot of mixed views on Brad Paisley, but I'm telling you, the guy is a heck of a guitar player. This song, always one of my Waffle House jukebox favorites, gives a great change of pace from the soft ballads Brad Paisley is known for, and I have to admit, it pretty dang funny. This song from his 2005 album "Time Well Wasted" peaked at #4 on the country charts and #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. I would also like to point out that I have never, ever, not once, seen Brad Paisley without a cowboy hat on. Watching this video again just now, I'm reminded of the genius and creativity of the songwriting. As I said before, Brad Paisley usually writes great ballads that are anything but silly, but this one here is just once in a lifetime hilarious. Take some time to watch this video and remember the times in your life that someone you know did something stupid like the idiots in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zkkLckeyM

"Must Be Doing Something Right"- Billy Currington. This karaoke favorite of mine peaked at #1 on the country charts in 2005 and was featured on Billy Currington's second album "Doin' Something Right". This is a fantastic song, and is always one that brings people to dance whenever it's sang. However, I just really don't like Billy Currington. To top it off, he has a perfect a Derek Sheppard-esque 5 o'clock shadow that I could never in my wildest imagination pull off. Asshole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQfE2Oi6Wo

"Why Don't We Just Dance?"- Josh Turner. Here is another guy who seriously makes me sick, but at least he has some good songs. I remember seeing Josh Turner at the Grand Ole Opry in 2009 and it was seriously one of the best performances I've seen. I just can't get over how crazy the women go over this guy. It's like he's in a freaking boy band or something. Like Currington, he also has a ridiculously perfect 5 o'clock shadow that looks so good you almost think it's fake. This song from his latest album "Haywire" peaked at #1 on the country charts, and is his highest charting song ever on the Billboard Hot 100 peaking at #36 in 2009. This video is super cool and I'm glad to finally find some white folks who can dance in a music video more than one genre and not make a fool of themselves. My dream is to one day sing this song karaoke- what a cool song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1Z9DEDqpk

"Take Me There"- Rascal Flatts. I've always questioned Rascal Flatts "country" credentials because they are from Columbus, Ohio, but I'll let them slide. This song was the lead single from the 2007 smash album "Still Feels Good", which kept Rascal Flatts as the top country group of the 2000's after the huge success of their previous two albums "Me And My Gang" and "Feels Like Today". This song, written by Kenny Chesney, actually cracked the top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100 peaking at #19. Also, watching this video makes me again question the band's "country" credentials just because I feel like I'm watching a cross between "One Tree Hill" and "Baywatch". Rascal Flatts sometimes seems like they are trying too hard to cross over. Also, let me say that Gary LeVox may have a good voice,but he may be the biggest goob lead singer in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuL0SJiAOcM

"Jesus Take The Wheel"- Carrie Underwood. Wow, I may have to take back my statement back about Miranda Lambert I made earlier, because this one is close. This song off of Carrie's Underwood much awaited post "American Idol" 2005 album "Some Hearts", was actually her second single, but her first big hit. It went to #1 on the Country Charts, #4 on the Christian Charts, and #20 on the Billboard Hot 100. Interesting fact about this song is that it is the #1 country song ringtone ever downloaded for cell phones and is the only country song to ever surpass 1 million downloads. I just sing this song when I ride anywhere with my grandparents and they are driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU

"Redneck Yacht Club"- Craig Morgan. Yes! Another artist I saw live at the Grand Ole Opry in 2009. When I see this video and hear this song, I just think about my friends in Stewart County, Tennessee and their floating bar on Kentucky Lake. I promise I'm not judging. The video was actually shot on Percy Priest Lake near Nashville. Craig Morgan has always seemed like he'd be cool to hang out with. Craig Morgan shows his diversity with this song, as it followed up his family friendly hit "That's What I Love About Sunday". Something for everyone, that's his motto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7Ghu1FpnQ

"Landslide"- Dixie Chicks. COVER SONG ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!! A huge one too. Most of the time when someone attempts to cover Fleetwood Mac, especially a Stevie Nicks song, I would tell them to try doing something else. (if any of you have ever listened to the "Rumours" "tribute album" that was made in 1997, you would see why I would say that- may have been the worst album ever made. The sad part is some of my favorite groups took part on the album, but the covers just didn't do justice. In fact, that's the only time I've ever called into a radio station in my life and complained about the music- it was seriously that bad. However, this song from Fleetwood Mac's self-titled 1975 album, was covered by the Dixie Chicks on their 2002 album "Home". It went to #2 on the country charts and peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. Most people know the story of the song- Stevie Nicks wrote the song while visiting Aspen, Colorado and looking at the mountains caused her to reflect on her life. Also, I think if the Dixie Chicks had not been caught up in their political controversy over desparing remarks made about then President George W. Bush, this song may have been even bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4_wXPZ1Bnk

"Happy Endings"- Lee Brice. The first of the "unknowns" on the list. This song was actually only released a single by Lee Brice in 2007 and peaked at #32 on the country charts. It was originally meant to be released on an album called "Picture Of Me", but it was never released. Lee Brice just recently released his first album "Love Like Crazy" this past year in which the title track peaked at #3 on the country charts. I've always really liked this song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UkELRZOv1I

"Tonight I Wanna Cry"- Keith Urban. Ok, I honestly admit that I had no earthly idea that Keith Urban was Australian until I was doing research for this list. Call me stupid, but I honestly had no idea. Keith Urban, while super talented, is another singer that I absolutely "hate" just because he looks so perfect. I wish I could have hair that cool with a half beard to go along with it. Seriously ladies, you have no idea how hard those are to come by. This song closed out the singles from this 2004 worldwide smash album "Be Here" and hit #2 on the country charts. Ok, I have to stop watching- Keith Urban takes the cake on making me sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czb5P_pw8Fc

"Breathe"- Taylor Swift featuring Colbie Caillat. I always really liked this song, but I had no idea that it was one of my faves Colbie Caillat singing in the background and who also co-wrote the song. I could SO see her as a country singer. A lot of you have stated your hatred for Taylor Swift, and yes I know she's annoying, but man everything she touches is gold- you can't blame her for knowing how to turn out hits. Despite this song's rave reviews and great sound, it only peaked at #87 on the charts before falling off after just one week. However, it's presence gave Swift the unreal honor of having 6 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time! Which at the time tied her with Miley Cyrus. However.....get ready.......Swift later shattered this record by having ELEVEN songs on the charts at the same time in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXrfksTjZ8

"Last Dollar (Fly Away)"- Tim McGraw. Please keep your hat on, Tim McGraw. Everyone who saw "Friday Night Lights" agrees. This song lead off Tim McGraw's much awaited 2007 album "Let It Go", which saw him return to the charts for the first time in 3 years. This song is actually written by "Big" Kenny Alpin from Big and Rich, who wrote this song after a disastrous night of gambling in Las Vegas on New Year's Eve 2002. I could see that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFwMd_a6JI

"I Run To You"- Lady Antebellum. These guys have overtaken Rascal Flatts as the top act in country music. This song and this band are simply amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs38lKxmtI4

"You Lie"- The Band Perry. But these guys are not far behind....you are looking at the future of country music here. The Band Perry is a freaking good band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwLsXZnFl4

Miranda Lambert
Carrie Underwood
Two beautiful women, and now abunch of hobos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons