Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Late Night Music Part 98.........."You May Be Wrong, But You May Be Right"

I have to admit that I actually started this one too late at night to finish it- if you wanna call "night" 5:00 in the morning. So, I'm putting up a rare daytime blog, but the funniest part is that this is already night time to some of you. This list was another random musing in my head- I can't really explain why it came to me.

In order to receive votes in this category, the song title had to have the word "Right" in it. Also receiving votes in this category were "Red Right Hands" by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, "Right Here Right Now" by Fatboy Slim, "Right On Time" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and "Right In Time" by Lucinda Williams. Super Honorable Mention is "Right Where You Belong" by Dave Barnes- how is there no video for this anywhere? NOT RECEIVING VOTES was "Right Above It" by Lil' Wayne and Drake......sorry, Drake will never appear on this list.

"Right Where You Wanted Me"- Jamie Floyd. I'll start this list with one of my favorite up and coming artists and my absolute favorite song by her. When I was living in the Nashville area, I made a point to catch Jamie Floyd about 5 times, and each time I saw her she was nothing short of spectacular. She recently had the opportunity to play the Grand Ole Opry, and I think it's just a matter of time before she's the next big female singer/songwriter out of Nashville. I listen to this song and I relate to it so much- the passion and emotion that went into writing and recording this song is evident. Also, big bonus points from the opening line mentioning Mississippi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbmR5ftX7I

"You May Be Right"- Billy Joel. Billy Joel was one of the biggest acts in music in the late 70's with back to back Grammy Awards for Best Album for "The Stranger" and "52nd Street". However, in 1980, he drastically changed his sound with his first real rock album "Glass Houses". As you can see from this song, many of the songs on this album didn't even feature Joel's crazy awesome piano playing. Sadly though, the album cover DID feature his Rocky Balboa look a like haircut. Sadly, I think he looks cooler bald now. Despite the drastic change in sound, "Glass Houses" went on to sell over 7 million copies, and "You May Be Right" went on to peak at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9t5XK0FhA

"Must Be Doin' Something Right"- Billy Currington. You know, I can't remember the last time I sang this song karaoke. Despite me featuring it on here several times and my karaoke love affair with it, Billy Currington still makes me throw up just seeing this video. Why does he have to be so cool? Who am I fooling? I freaking love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQfE2Oi6Wo

"Get It Right"- From the Cast of "Glee". In the most recent episode of "Glee" the New Directions thought it would be more beneficial to write original songs for their set at regionals in order to capture first place. Two original songs were debuted for the show (rather than the usual cover song format), with this ballad sung by Lea Michele being the first one. I see this video and hear this song and I actually get kinda upset because I know it's a matter of time before Lea Michele leaves "Glee" to start a solo career. Honestly, I think she'll do just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6gfz10cS8

"Get Me Right"- Dashboard Confessional. This song was the lead track to Dashboard Confessional's 2009 album "Alter The Ending". DC showed a more mature side with this album, and actually re released the album as a deluxe edition with nearly all the songs, including this one, recorded in acoustic settings. Chris Carraba is one awesome guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDMKqFZdjw

"Right Thru Me"- Nicki Minaj. Ok, this isn't the official video, because I hate the edited version of this song. Also, the official video of this song is SO lame. In addition, I really have never cared for Nicki Minaj- I mean this song is pretty good, but she's just not a rapper- I just can't buy it. She has a nice voice, and yes, she SMOKING HOT BEAUTIFUL, but I think she's pretty overrated otherwise. I hate that she's called "the Barbie of hip hop" when Ciara is way more beautiful and way more talented. Anyway, this song off of her album "Pink Friday" reached #4 on the hip hop charts and peaked at #26 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ZvaQf76g4

"Right Round"- Flo Rida. Bonus points right off the bat for sampling and almost covering "You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive (I smell a bonus video). This song off of Flo Rida's album "R.O.O.T.S." hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was in no doubt helped by it's inclusion on the soundtrack of "The Hangover". By my view, I really don't think Flo Rida is anything special, but this is a pretty catchy track. My favorite fact about this song is that we actually "remixed" it ourselves at Faith Outreach Church and made a Christian version of this song called "I've got to praise him". He works in mysterious ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCw1ggftuQ

"Right Here Waiting"- Richard Marx. Just a little bit of a change of genre here. Richard Marx showed signs of his future success on the dreaded ADULT CONTEMPORARY chart with this worldwide #1 hit from his second album "Repeat Offender". Okay, small soap box here. Not knocking anything about Richard Marx, but if you are gonna make the kind of music he makes, don't have an album title that sounds like a Guns N' Roses album- seriously misleading there. That's almost as bad as the Isleys having the white couple on the cover of "This Old Heart Of Mine". This song has been one of the staples of 80's soft "rock" and has been covered by a few artists, including a great version by Monica and 112 (I smell another bonus video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_E2EHVxNAE

"Right Here Right Now"- Jesus Jones. Our friends from England opened up the 90's with one of the first one hit wonders of the decade with this song from their album "Doubt" climbing to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100, only to never be heard from again. I realize it was 1990 at the time, but maybe they would have been more popular in the United States if they hadn't worn those stupid hats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6dxQVhE8o

"Right Now"- Van Halen. This has to be one of the best music videos ever! We also all remember this song being used on the short lived Crystal Pepsi commercials in 1993. This song was Van Halen's last big hit as a band and was included on their 1992 album "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (do the acronym on that one). Rightfully so, this video won the 1992 VMA for Video of the Year. The coolest fact about this song is that Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen were working two separate songs at the time, but each heard each other's song and decided to combine them because "they were working on the same song". Van Halen would only release one more album with Sammy Hagar (1995's "Balance"), before fading into obscurity with only one more album released in the next 10 years. I guess they were just planning for "Right Now".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxB6PqQsoY

"Right Where You Want Me"- Jesse McCartney. I hate to admit that is actually a good song. What a dork!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncqa7iifD8

BONUS VIDEOS- "You Spin Me Round"- Dead or Alive. Like a Record, baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUatnbaNfEo

"Right Here Waiting For You". Monica featuring 112. Great cover song here from her 1997 album "The Boy Is Mine".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vflsUfONNA8

Billy Joel doing his best impression of Rocky Balboa
Van Halen
Take a good look, you will never see this one again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons