Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Late Night Music Part 97..........."Old School Slow Jams"

The last few weeks, I have really had my radio dial stuck on 107.5 FM WKXI here in Jackson. In my entire life, only 3 radio stations (other than public broadcasting) have been the same here. One of them is soft soul KXI 107. While driving home last night, I decided it was time to have a list honoring some of the songs they play every day.

In order to qualify for this list, the song had to be released before I was born, because seriously, if it was released during my lifetime, it really can't be "old school". For only the fourth time ever, all songs receiving votes in this category were included.

"Sideshow"- Blue Magic. Of all the songs on this list, this has always been my favorite to sing along to for some reason. Also, for the longest time, I really thought this song was by the Stylistics. Unfortunately, Blue Magic only really made it into the spotlight with this lone hit from 1974 which peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100. This is a pretty good live "performance" from "Soul Train" (on a side note, did Don Cornelius ever expect us to think that they were really singing?). Bonus points for Ted "Wizard" Mills robot dance to open the song. This song also gets bonus points for being painfully ironic as Blue Magic was never more than a "sideshow".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscxLlhMiig

"Break Up To Make Up"- Stylistics. Unfortunately for Blue Magic, there was a just a little bit more popular group also from Philadelphia that was around at the same time as they were. The Stylistics had 5 top 10 hits, including this one from 1973 which peaked at #5 off of their album "Rockin Roll Baby". Some might get upset for me including this one knowing some of Stylistics hits, but this one was always my favorite one to sing along to. Sorry about the video too, some user made video that makes no sense, but it was the best audio quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRV3pDOvX7M

"Have You Seen Her?"- The Chi-Lites. The Chi-Lites were briefly on top of the music world in 1971 and 1972 with two top 5 hits including "Oh Girl" going to #1 worldwide. The previous year, they also reached the top 5 with this song that peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 (that I always laugh was "covered" by MC Hammer). This song was included on their 1971 hit album "(For God's Sake) Give More Power To The People". Even in 1971, this song was considered at "throwback" song just because of the doo-wop style and narration which, at the time, was very reminiscent of the 1950's. Oh well, bonus points for the song being covered by MC Hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVYxKRXDT2I

"Everybody Plays The Fool"- The Main Ingredient. If you ever wondered by actor Cuba Gooding had the "Jr." after his name, you have to remember that his father, Cuba Gooding, Sr. was the lead singer of the moderately successful group The Main Ingredient. The group had three top 40 hits, but they are best known for this song that went to #3 in 1972 from their album "Bitter Sweet". Here is another "Soul Train" "live" performance, but I'm gonna throw in some bonus points for Don Cornelius's hair on this one. That guy had it going on way before Don King did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQ0GkGN3yM

"The Makings Of You"- Curtis Mayfield. Oh man! I'm so glad I found a spot for Curtis Mayfield on here. I've always been fascinated by Curtis Mayfield not only because of his amazing voice and music, but the mere fact that he recorded his last album in the studio lying on his back as a quadriplegic. He was also a very very underrated guitar player and I think you can include him as one of the best ever. Curtis Mayfield was probably best known for his song "People Get Ready" he recorded as a member of The Impressions, but his solo music is just so soulful and complex, it's obvious that he was a true music genius. This song was included on his 1970 debut solo album "Curtis", and was surprisingly never released as a single, but has remained a fan favorite, and was later covered by Lauryn Hill (I smell a bonus video). The success of his debut solo single "Move On Up" kinda overshadowed this one. Man, I could listen to Curtis Mayfield all night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViLoH-yORw

"Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)"- The Temptations. In 1971, the Temptations were fading, and honestly, I think they knew it. This song from their 1971 album "Sky's The Limit", is notable because it was the last single featuring Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. What a great swan song. Shortly after this album, the Temptations drastically changed both their lineup and their sound, and never really regained their fame which made them one of the top acts in the world in 1960's. This video was also actually their last performance together from the January 31, 1971 edition of "The Ed Sullivan Show". This is notable for being one of Paul Williams last time on camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3i9z2pDvc

"Never Can Say Goodbye"- The Jackson 5. You know I had to include J5! Yes, I know they had more popular songs that I could easily put here, but this one like "Break Up To Make Up" has always been my favorite J5 song to sing along to. Not gonna lie, I've caught myself dancing to this one several times. In 1970, the Jackson Five had pretty much taken over the Temptation's spot atop the soul music stage with their smash album "Third Album", so in 1971, their next album "Maybe Tomorrow" was super anticipated and produced this song which went to #2 on the charts. (I gotta say the title track from this album is probably my favorite Jackson 5 song- just can't find a good video of it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76kGhxHnvk

"All Up To You"- Con Funk Shun. Most people remember Con Funk Shun as what exactly what their name says, a funk group, but this ballad snuck it's way onto their 1980 album "Spirit", and has always been a favorite of mine. However, this song was never released as a single, as they opted for another good ballad "By Your Side" to be released instead. For a group that was known for making people across the country dance, this song has put me to sleep more times than I can count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmIRDYEpnk0

"Used Ta Be My Girl"- O'Jays. Ok, I included this one just to eat more crow on being stupid enough to know that Eddie Levert wasn't the lead singer of the O'Jays despite seeing pictures of him 100 times- I still never put it together. This song was actually the O'Jays last hit peaking at #4 in 1978 from their album "So Full Of Love", and was also their first and only hit after the death of group member William Powell, who had been replaced by Sammy Strain. Pretty good live performance here- shows the guys can still move a little bit. However, someone please get Eddie Levert a towel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9-y62V3kk

"Let's Stay Together"- Al Green. I haven't had this video on here in a while, but I think this one speaks for itself. The craziest part is that Al Green is now 64 and is way cooler than I will ever be. He might be the smoothest singer ever, even more so than Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, and Sam Cooke, and I'm so serious when I say that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzYxqG9N1c

"A Song For You"- Donny Hathaway. I've always said that Donny Hathaway was one of the most underrated singers ever, and I think this is the track that always made me think that. This song has been covered numerous times with some pretty good versions, but this one has always been the best to me. Donny Hathaway just had an angelic voice. This song from his self titled 1971 album actually never charted, but has always been one of my favorite songs ever. Donny Hathaway never had alot of commercial success, but his fanbase has always been one of the most loyal in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHiio1sTTI

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine"- Marvin Gaye. We all know the song, just never knew Marvin Gaye played the piano until I saw this video- thousands of bonus points right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyA_DNw2vyg

BONUS VIDEO- "The Makings Of You"- Lauryn Hill. This amazing cover couldn't have been done by a better artist or with a better effort.....wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeErfwlIgPg

"A Song For You"- Ray Charles. I always thought he also did a great version of the song that actually went unheralded and unnoticed since it wasn't released until late in his career. Great live performance here from 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZTvLFRYrE

Chi Lites
The O'Jays featuring, yes Eddie Levert- I promise I won't forget again
Curtis Mayfield

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons