Thursday, January 31, 2013

Late Night Music Super Bowl 47 Edition Part 157......"Even More Guilty Pleasures"


The fact that I now have three of these lists is beyond scary. I can't believe I do this to myself. Well, at least it's funny.

In order to receive votes in this category the song had to usually thought of as "unacceptable" for someone of my demographic to enjoy. With that being said, all songs receiving votes were included on this list.

"Stay"- Nick Jonas And The Administration. I've always said that Nick Jonas is tons better without his brothers, and I think that's pretty obvious here. Still doesn't make me cool for liking this song so much. Nick Jonas is super talented and this current solo project with his band The Administration is so much better than his bubblegum brother act. Not to mention, he has a left handed guitar player Sonny Thompson! He joins his New Power Generation and WWE Superstar Mabel/Viscera look a like Michael Bland on drums for this unreal live performance which was used as the released single version of the song. Despite it's popularity, it wasn't included on the band's debut album Who I Am and was only released as a standalone single. I have a feeling that this single as well as his cover of Michael Buble's "Haven't Met You Yet" from the NBC series "Smash" soundtrack will be included on this next album. I'm embarassed to admit that I'm really looking forward to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

"Iesha"- Another Bad Creation. Some of you know that the first CD I ever bought in my life in 1991 was Another Bad Creations's Chillin' At The Playground Ya' Know! And my street cred which I thought was building immediately went and permanently stayed at zero. This debut single from 1990 for ABC shot to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and made these Atlanta kids household names and one of the faces of the fledgling newly formed East Coast Family led by former New Edition and Bell Biv Devoe star Michael Bivens. Thank god that alliance was short lived because I still don't know what Jermaine Dupri, Dallas Austin, and Michael Bivens saw in these guys. I hate that they faded out so fast, but can you seriously take these kids seriously as a hip hop group? Looking back, it had to be a joke that they all were in just to sell this group to kids. I guess I fell for it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPIK7Fz_g4

"You Got It All"- The Jets. The Jets were so freaking good! I am still amazed by a few things. First of all, Elizabeth Wolfgramm was 12, yes TWELVE years old when this song was released in 1986 on The Jets self titled debut album. She sounded like a grown woman singing this true soul ballad which peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year. The other thing I've always been amazed at is how the Wolfgramm family had 15 yes FIFTEEN kids (though 2 were adopted) and all of them were talented enough to be in this group. I'm also amazed that momma Wolfgramm didn't freaking die from the pain. She has to have set the world record for "the uterus most like a clown car". These Tongan-Minnesota Mormons went on to release 3 more major label albums becoming a staple of the 80's and one of the best trivia questions in music history just due to their unbelievably peculiar back story while being a really good band. My favorite fact about this song is that Elizabeth Wolfgramm said herself in the 25th anniversary concert that she was never comfortable singing this song because at 12, she had never had a boyfriend and was completely lost singing about love, so she practiced singing this song by singing to her dog. That's pretty funny. Oh yeah, if I was a girl I would totally do this song karaoke, and I totally had this song played at every Shawreth function I went to at Mississippi College.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zjw7IyfFA

"This I Promise You"- N'Sync. This 2000 boy band ballad from N'Sync's album No Strings Attached has become one of my karaoke staples over the years just because every time I sing it, I really think I'm JC Chasez, because as John Lassiter famously said, "when JC hits that bridge, an angel gets his wings". I would also like to add that Justin Timberlake looks absolutely ridiculous in this video. This song rode this video's popularity on "TRL" in its early days and peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. Interestingly enough, this song was actually written by Richard Marx, who has also recorded it.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thmPrTxBtI

"Ready"- N-Toon. I absolutely hate that I love this song so much. I will never forget watching these little chumps sing the national anthem at Smith Wills Stadium before a Jackson Diamond Kats game in the absolute worse rendition of the song I have ever heard. Even worse than Carl Lewis. I really wish I had a recording of it. It was seriously that bad. They had opened for fellow teen idol Sammie in a pregame concert (who was equally as corny as a child act), and they stuck around to open the game, I wish they would have skipped that part. This Atlanta band started by Klymaxx lead singer Joyce Irby (wow we'll get to her in a second) released this single off of their debut album Toon Time with Radio Disney heavily promoting the song. Dallas Austin also produced this album.....should have told you something there. As cheesy as these guys were, this song is super catchy, just thank god it never caught on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW3g3dilM-A

"I Miss You"- Klymaxx. Wow what a segue! I didn't even plan it like this! Before she was trying her hand starting kid groups, Joyce Irby was a huge part of the girl band Klymaxx which scored their biggest hit of their moderately successful career with this song from their 1984 album Meeting In The Ladies Room, with the single going to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 being easily the band's signature and most well known song. The crazy thing I've always said about this song is that Joyce Irby sang the lead vocals even though she wasn't the normal lead singer, as she was usually the bass player. Lorena Porter was the usual lead vocalist, but this song written by keyboardist Lynn Malsby specifically for Joyce Irby to sing. Like most other girl groups, Klymaxx is always fun to watch, but you find yourself wondering why you love this song so much.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvlhHJNppQg

"The Hardest Thing"- 98 Degrees. I wish someone would have told Nick Lachey how ridiculous he looked in this video. Are we really supposed to buy him as Rocky? This song went to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1999 fueled by the success of 98 Degrees And Rising. There's no doubt that 98 Degrees were talented musicians with a great blend, I just wish they would have stayed with their R & B roots instead of turning into a R & B group that carried themselves as a boy band. I'm not gonna say it, but you know what you are thinking right about now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTNsFcbdmI

"The Rain, The Park, and Other Things"- The Cowsills. Nothing says cool like a mom in a rock band. The very weird Rhode Island family The Cowsills shot to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 with this smash single from their debut self titled album. Much to my surprise, this song is NOT called "I Love The Flower Girl", so I stand corrected. Unlike the previously mentioned Jets, The Cowsills were a completely dysfunctional family controlled by an overbearing father who forced his wife to be in the band despite her unwillingness to do so. The family and band have actually a quite tragic ending with only three family members still living.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q6fLhnwEKk

"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"- Kelly Clarkson. Kelly Clarkson has now been on two of these lists- why does she have to be so good? She's one of the most diverse female vocalists out there right now, and I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am a true Kelly Clarkson fan despite my complete disdain for "American Idol". This girl power smash single was the title track for her 2011 album Stronger and shot to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and charted in basically every country that has a chart. The success of the single and video were fueled by her very creative concept of "global flash mob" which features videotaped submissions from fans that "flash mobbed" the routine that Clarkson made available on her website, and then chose the best ones to be used in the video. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for flash mobs. I finally crossed the "witness a flash mob" off of my bucket list when I witnessed one at Callaway High School this year. Bonus points for that. Now, if Kelly Clarkson could stop being so awesome I'd  be ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn676-fLq7I

"Close To You"- The Carpenters. Quite possibly the most embarassing one on this list. I did not know this, but this is actually a cover song written by Burt Bacharach recorded by him and later by Dionne Warwick. The 1970 version that was the title track for The Carpenters most famous album went on to be their biggest hit where it went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and made Karen Carpenter a star. However, the cheesy level of The Carpenters is up there with Barry Manilow despite their enormous talent. This is a definitely a song you listen to when you make sure no one else is listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6inwzOooXRU

"Breaking Free"- Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens. If I ever want to do a random duet, this "High School Musical" closing number is always a great pick. This song was fueled by the popularity of the Disney movie and peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2006. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens are just two people you hate to admit are super talented because it's just not fair how perfect they sing this song. I actually saw "High School Musical 3" in the theater on its opening weekend. Should I stop talking now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fpbBoIrXI

"Wide Awake"- Katy Perry. To quote our good friend John Lassiter again....."Katy Perry......what a disaster". I'd have to agree, but once again, she's on my list of guilty pleasures. Why does she have to be so catchy every freaking time she records a song? This final single from her 2010 smash album Teenage Dream went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and earned her a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Performance at this year's awards. As weird and slutty as she is, Katy Perry is one of the best female artists of our generation and is quite possibly the next Madonna. I just hate that I feel so guilty for liking her so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0BWlvnBmIE

"Rodeo"- Juvenile. I'll just let you watch the video to see why this one made the list. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ATUCocIyc

"Run"- Leona Lewis. Leona Lewis blows me away with this Snow Patrol cover, but why must she be so awesome? This British "X Factor" winner continues to woo me with her voice and her beauty, but I seriously am too embarassed to admit it. This famous cover off of her debut album Spirit went to #1 on the British Singles Chart (where it out charted the original Snow Patrol version, which only hit #5), but failed to make much of a splash in the United States, where it just hit #81 on the Billboard Hot 100. This live performance from "The X Factor" gives me chills, but the most amazing part is that she sneezes not once but THREE times and recovers like it never happens. That's simply amazing. I mean even Simon said it was good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgu5sUcqbfQ

"Strawberry Wine"- Deana Carter. This ode to teenage fornicating was Deana Carter's debut single from her 1996 debut album Did I Shave My Legs For This? and went to #1 on the Billboard Country Chart and #65 on the Billboard Hot 100. Unfortunately for Carter, her career, while successful, never matched the hype that this song created for her out of the gate, leaving her biggest contribution to my music library this song about a teenage girl losing her virginity. Oh yeah, is there even such thing as Strawberry Wine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up06CryWQpE

"Start of Something Good"- Daughtry. Daughtry is the new Nickelback. Sorry, you can't convince me otherwise. However, this lover's theme song from his (or their- which one is it????) 2012 album Break The Spell. I guess the reason I like this song so much is because unlike his other played out singles, this one only hit #31 on the Billboard Pop Songs Chart. Yeah, pop, and he expects us to believe that we think that's actually a rock band up there with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsyxZWQ_g0

"I Will Come To You"- Hanson. Hanson has found its way back onto this list again. This single from their 1997 breakout album Middle Of Nowhere peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and further cemented these kids in our brains whether we wanted them to be or not. I've said 100000 times that Hanson's new stuff is really good because they are grown up and don't play bubble gum stuff anymore, but you know you held your girlfriend or boyfriend's hand when you heard this song like you were something. How silly does that make you feel now? In a pretty funny twist, the biggest celebrity who shares my birthday is Hanson drummer Zac Hanson. I know- stop traffic! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rsWf09_PmI

"Fly (The Angel Song)"- The Wilkinsons. The Wilkinsons were so ridiculous, but this song is freaking perfect. This Canadian family group released this song on their 1998 album Nothing But Love where it went to #1 in Canada, #15 on the Billboard Country Charts, and #53 on the Billboard Hot 100. To make it more ridiculous, when this song was at its peak, the Wilkinsons were the headliner, yes the headliner for the Mississippi Dixie National Rodeo here in Jackson. Because that's the concerts we get in Jackson. Something about daddy in the video never let me look at Amanda Wilkinson the way I wanted to at the time.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6XMzvFpmTM

"Little Rock"- Collin Raye. The fact that I know every word to this song seriously scares me. There is no excuse for any person under 45 ever liking a Collin Raye song as much as I like this one. This 1994 single from his album Extremes hit #7 on the Billboard Country Charts. This has to be the worst acted music video since Garth Brooks "The Thunder Rolls".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRv0jVZtdbY

"I Wanna Sex You Up"- Color Me Badd. If you wanna have some fun, go into a bar or restaurant, anywhere with a jukebox, and play this song. The reactions you will get are worth whatever money you put in the machine. I had no idea that Color Me Badd was from Oklahoma City- really? This lead single that was featured on both their debut album C.M.B. and the original motion picture soundtrack to the Ice-T gang busting movie "New Jack City" actually earned Color Me Badd the Grammy Nomination for Best New Artist in 1992. My question is WHY? This ridiculously catchy song actually peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 giving us a tune that just won't go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6BtpIzIiM

"Gangnam Style"- PSY. You wonder how songs like this ever become so famous and then you find yourself singing them and trying to do the dance. Then you realize you're just as big of an idiot as everyone else.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

"Down To Earth"- Justin Beiber. Sorry. I went there. Can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRzRYfxZBK0

BONUS VIDEOS- "Tonight"- Nick Jonas And The Administration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kEkJLnv4g

"Underneath"- Hanson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhmOuXiz9VM

"Stop Crying Your Heart Out"- Leona Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKrPC432wiU

"Last Friday Night (T. G. I. F.)"- Katy Perry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlyXNRrsk4A

"Down To Earth (Acoustic Version)"- Justin Bieber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-rpK72GB5Y

"You Got It All"- The Jets. Live from their 25th anniversary concert in Minneapolis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Vu5j4eVho

Katy Perry

Klymaxx

The Jets

Let me see you Rodeo!

worst ever?

sometimes you just got to do it Gangnam Style

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons