Friday, October 05, 2012

Late Night Music Part 147....."My Twitter Followers/Facebook Friends"


I started writing "Late Night Music" as a joke in 2009 just because I couldn't sleep one night. It caught on quick as my trademark, and it quickly became something of a routine. Three years later, I have used it as a tool to discover some of the best artists in the world that might be flying under the radar. While my blog may just be a small drop, it's a huge thrill to push some of the most talented individuals in music. It's also a huge thrill when I get a thank you from the artist themselves. Such artists like Freshlyground, Julie Roberts, Priscilla Renea, and Kevin Costner and Modern West have all responded. It's truly rewarding to be recognized by such talented musicians. It's even a bigger thrill when these artists follow me on twitter or add me on facebook, as it does give me a sense of being "legit". This list features any artist who follows me on twitter or is a confirmed facebook friend. As a way of saying thank you, I'll simply pick some of my favorite songs by them.

"The Girl You Want To Be"- Maggie McClure. I previously featured her title track to her EP "Good Morning and Good Night" a few months back. This song included on the same EP is a fantastic piece for this beautiful Oklahoma starlet. Maggie McClure is one of those artists that sticks in your head and doesn't leave until you make her leave. She has such an amazing voice and her Sara Bareilles-esque style is one that will surely quickly catch on. Find Maggie McClure on iTunes, or for more of her music check out www.maggiemcclure.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOWGMq-X3ak

"Dance For Love"- Queen of Hearts. You know an artist makes a statement when someone like me who has no dancing/rhythmic ability at all wants to dance when they hear a song. These Toronto divas get better with each track they record. This trio of beautiful ladies seems to be the perfect mix that makes a group really click. Queen of Hearts puts on a mix of dance, hip-hop, and soul that enters your musical being and makes you yearn for more. With a blend that angelic and with three women that beautiful, it will just be a short amount of time before QOH could be the queens of your heart. For more information on Queen of Hearts, check out www.qohmusic.com. This single is also available on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0upHIyP8ik

"You're The Only One"- Eric Benet. I've featured this song before, but I just love it so much. So many people want to talk bad about Eric Benet's personal issues, but I have so much respect for him coming back with such determination and swagger. This lead single from his 2008 album Love and Life peaked at #17 on the Billboard R & B Charts, but was given a nomination for Best Male R & B Performance at the 2009 Grammys, as well as the album being nominated for Best R & B Album. This song is a great song to listen to while you're driving and is great for a driver's seat performance. Check this album out on iTunes, you'll be quite impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H72ajAO6ctI

"Secrets"- David Jennings. It's a real joy to see someone I have literally known my entire life be such a talented musician. Some of you may recognize David Jennings from the group "The Collective" from last season's contest of NBC's "The Sing Off". This multi-talented multi-genre songwriter actually became the first person to ever make a video by request when he made this video for the song off of his 2007 debut album Sticks and Stones. I just hope the day comes that I can finally see Dave play this one live with a piano. If you're in Jackson or Nashville and ever have the chance to see David Jennings live make sure you get there to see him. He'll shock you with his wide range of set list gems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLoi4yzntY

"Love Will Never Do/California Gurls"- Naya Marie and Shannon Alvares. These Toronto starlets gave maybe the best mashup I've ever heard with this curious but clever combo of Janet Jackson and Katy Perry. I'm a huge fan of both of these ladies, and I've featured both of them several times. I have this mp3 on my playlist and it's great for driving to when you have a long way to go. For more information on Naya Marie, check out her youtube channel nayamarie2009. Also, you can find her on twitter naya_marie. You can also find her music at www.nayamarie.blogspot.com. More on Shannon Alvares in a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEQL6QiQHU

"Open Door"- Attaloss.This is an awesome debut video and single from Attaloss's self-titled debut album which came out in April of this year. The album reached the #1 spot on the Billboard New Alternative Artists Chart, and cracked the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart as well. I said a few weeks ago that Danny Aguiluz is easily one of the best lead singers that you don't know about right now, and I believe that more and more when I watch this video again. This single as well as Attaloss's debut album is currently available on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXswKpViPgg

"That's What Love Looks Like"- Joy Collins. Sometimes, you just have those people in your life you are so happy to call your friend. I've known Joy since 2006 and to listen to her music now just makes me so thankful she was such a huge part of my life in Clarksville. Besides being a great artist, Joy is most importantly a great mother, wife, and a TRUE friend. If you listen to Joy's music, I promise you won't regret it. Find this song and others from her album It Ain't Just Music on iTunes. Also, check her out at www.joycollinsmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20VcFLR50o

"Where To Go"- Shannon Alvares. I told you I had more on Shannon Alvares! Download this mp3 here. Also, for more information on Shannon Alvares, check out www.shannonalvaresmusic.blogspot.com. Even though I may be the worst dancer in the history of the fine art, this song makes me wanna shake stuff I never got!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJmmqairPE

"So Nice To Be Loved"- Darnell Levine. I saw Darnell Levine a few times live in Nashville, and it could have never been enough. His distinct style and voice just always stuck out to me. I also said that his keyboard/piano playing was vastly underrated in a city that focuses so heavily on the guitar. I guess it's the piano player coming out in me. Man I love this song! Find this one and other songs by Darnell Levine on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP-dxwWaoA

"She Can Play"- Damien Horne. Every time I hear this song, I think of all the women out there that put it in every day with no one even noticing. This song was used by ESPN for the ACC Women's Basketball Tournament, and had a great montage of the late Kay Yow added to the song. I actually saw Darnell and Damien both for the first time the same night (on a night I also saw Mason Douglas, who we'll talk about later). Damien Horne is such a positive figure in the Nashville music scene, and if you ever want to hear an inspiring story check out his website www.damienhorne.com. This song is also a stand alone single that can be found on iTunes. Also, if you look on this video, you'll see the awesome April Rucker singing background vocals.......oh yeah, speaking of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8VTw3TfHo

"Charm"- April Rucker. Awesome live performance here from the original Nashville soul diva. This song is featured on April's album Here I Stand which is now available on iTunes. April Rucker reminds me of so many R & B artists, I can't even list them all. Her sassiness and soulfulness rolled into one makes this a very solid track! For more on April Rucker, check out www.aruckusmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvC7K32rlY

"Up Up Up"- Rose Falcon. Seriously, how can you not love Rose Falcon's smile? This song from her debut 2003 self-titled album was a great indicator of the true talent she possesses. Her latest EP 19th Avenue is available on iTunes is a more mature country album that featured a glowing endorsement from singer Jon Bon Jovi. I'm always glad to see a young artist move from bubble gum rock to a mature sound as they grow older. Shows that they are a true musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYc0EX3cWSs

"Hero"- The New Velvet. This New Jersey band gives a great acoustic version (which is now available on iTunes) from their debut album. While TNV isn't super heavy, I love seeing a band strip down a song like this and still keep it raw and emotional. What shouldn't be forgotten in this is how positive the lyrics of this song are. I love to see young bands be so inspirational not only in their music, but in their lyrics. For more of The New Velvet's videos check out their youtube channel TheNewVelvetBand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOzWMl-W6o

"What Did I Do?"- Sophie Delila. This latest single from this French starlet based in the UK Sophie Delila is one of those songs that can just put you completely at ease. Her sound and attitude remind me a lot of Corrinne Bailey Rae and Laura Izibor, who are also both from Europe. It's great to see such a soulful influx of artists come over from Europe in the last few years, because true R & B music is a dying breed here in the United States. For more on Sophie Delila check out her website at www.sophiedelila.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8JieMZMk8U

"Riddle Figure"- Valet Parn. This Athens, Greece metal band puts on a great performance here on the title track of their debut album available on iTunes. Guitarist George Emanuel puts on a guitar clinic on this track and plays a lick I just have to keep on hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0klL7sk8c

"Emergency"- Falling Through April. What a great song by this Charlotte, NC rock band that reminds me so much of the Stone Temple Pilots meets Red Hot Chili Peppers! Awesome live performance here that is seriously legit! This is a band I'd love to see live. This song is featured on their debut album Take Flight and is now available on iTunes.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZQFL159d08

"Heaven Sent"- K West. Most of you saw my Jackson Free Press article in February featuring Jackson's own K West The Showstopper. I love how K West puts what people said or people think to the side and just brings it because she can. Hip hop is dominated by males and by females who have an overpowering presence. Don't forget that she was also last year's Mississippi Hip Hop Artist of the Year. She may be small, but her attitude and her swagger are out of this world! Her debut album He Say She Say is available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV59N0bRRn8. If you didn't see my JFP article on her check it out here. http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2012/feb/01/diary-of-the-showstopper/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZQFL159d08

"Castles"- of Verona. Man what a cool song video and band! Lead singer Mandi Perkins brings so much attitude to this Los Angeles electro band. This just seems like that kind of song you dance to on DDR or play on Rock Band. I like of Verona because they remind me so much of those Scandinavian bands I like so much, but also have a raw rock feel that keep you glued to the song. Mandi Perkins is gonna be a star just because she has the innocent girl look until she gets on the mic and blows your socks off! This lead single from their debut album The White Apple received rotation on MTV2 recently and is also available on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykmrS_ZUi0

"Solarstorms"- Josh Doyle. British singer/songwriter Josh Doyle turned in this memorable performance a few weeks ago on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" to promote his new self titled album that will be released October 23- the day after my birthday! Previously of UK Dum Dums fame, Josh Doyle is very similar to a Josh Kelley, Dave Barnes, or Matt Wertz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-GPOH9YDA

"We Got Us"- Canaan Smith. This Nashville artist who was last seen with Sugarland on tour released this impressive single last year which received heavy play on GAC and CMT. I really like Canaan Smith's voice, it just seems to really fit country music. Really good video here- I hope we have many more to come soon from him. This song is available on iTunes and on www.canaansmith.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj-E0UGd4E

"Inside You"- Dubri. Man this song is so funny! I love rappers who don't take themselves too seriously. Why can't more rappers take a cue from that and figure out that rap can be funny? I'll just you let you watch this video and listen yourself. Get ready to laugh. Check out this song on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYJb7EErO0

"All We've Got"- The Begging Sea. Anyone who ever has been around me knows that one of my favorite bands of all time is Sherwood. I am still upset unbelievably by the fact that I missed them in Nashville just a few months before they stopped touring for good. Never miss a band that's in your home. Anyway, lead singer Nate Henry has started a new project called The Begging Sea with this being the first recording released from the band, and I'm ecstatic because it sounds so much like Sherwood, so I'm gonna go ahead and make this an honorary Sherwood album. For more on The Begging Sea check out www.thebeggingsea.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOQ3MVBN-g

"The Plunge"- Deanna Brown. Now why can't people like this with real talent win "American Idol"? All the more reason to not watch that crap. This former "Idol" contestant gives a great effort here in the title track of her newest album now available on iTunes. Her guitar playing and vocals are on full display on this track and it should be something to really look forward to. She has the country mood with a soft indie feel. I love hybrid artists. For more on Deanna Brown, check out www.deannabrown-music.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KqrSuzq4I

"Fact and Friction"- The Nearly Deads. This Tampa rock band looks so cool covered in mud in this video from their self-titled debut album. Lead singer Theresa Jane absolutely owns this song and comes off as the band calls as "polished grunge", which I think is an absolutely genius description. This band is truly a "hybrid" as they tried to put a pop singer as the lead singer of a grunge band, and I have to admit it really freaking works with this band. The band's zombie persona is also an added bonus of neatness to this very peculiar but awesome band. For more info on The Nearly Deads, check out www.thenearlydeads.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reMfZKlRV9E

"On Everything"- Mr. and Mrs. My good friend and Mississippi hip hop artist and his wife Nadirah X bring it hard on this track from their album Mr. and Mrs. the EP. Not only do Swish and Nadirah share their artistic talents in this video, but they show their true love for each other while each showing parts of their individual worlds. If you ask me, this might be the perfect hip hop combination. They always show how hip hop can be positive in all aspects instead of their music. Sucks how we get stuck with crap like Nicki Minaj and other no talent clown rappers instead of a heartfelt passionate collaboration like this. Check out both Swish and Nadirah X on iTunes, and to preview their entire EP check out http://www.datpiff.com/Mr-and-Mrs-Mr-Mrs-The-Ep-mixtape.391870.html.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUatjHAmdVA

"My Heart Beats For You"- Shane Henry. How awesome that we get to have a song that features the very awesome Maggie McClure again! This Oklahoma blues rock singer puts on a super intimate and memorable performance with MM here that makes you want to just feel better about yourself. These two have a song together on iTunes already, but I'm thinking a whole album wouldn't even be enough to listen to these two sing together. For more information on Shane Henry check out www.shanehenry.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGTveGbyYU

"You"- Chantelle Barry. Colbie Caillat and Norah Jones have morphed into the same person and became Australian starlet Chantelle Barry. This song from her latest album Songbird and was also featured on her 2011 album Simple Things is super catchy and articulate at the same time. I absolutely love this woman's voice, and this video is so amazing I feel like she's singing to me personally. You also might recognize Chantelle as the actress who plays Nina on the revamped version of "90210".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhvcS-kRSA

"Wanted"- Jessie James.This super awesome debut single from the super hot Jessie James hit #40 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2009, and introduced us all to another super hot country singer, but one with way more attitude than what we're used to. I love this video because every time I watch it and see her say she "only wants to be wanted" I find myself asking if she's really serious. This video is perfect because it pushed the sexiness aspect of Jessie James without being distasteful- I wish other female artists would take notes. Jessie was recently engaged to Denver Bronco and former Tim Tebow favorite target Eric Decker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxz3_5XsNQ

"Hard Headed"- Nic Cowan. I love this title track from Nic Cowan's album. This Atlanta singer reminds me so much of Amos Lee it's not even funny. He actually kinda looks like him too. For more information on Nic Cowan, check out www.niccowanmusic.com, also his album Hard Headed is now available on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvZKu3ZFg4k

"My Goodbye"- The Growing Room. I'm thinking Owl City meets Ben Folds here in this super cool debut video for Bay Area band The Growing Room. This super emotional song was included on The Growing Room's debut album Put Yourself Together and is now available on iTunes. Lead singer Aaron Eckardt absolutely commands the stage (well the snow) in this video and I have a feeling this band would be great to see live. For more information on The Growing Room check out their youtube channel www.youtube.com/thegrowingroomband.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPaqCtPWI4

"Home"- Taylor Willis. My favorite left handed female guitar player puts on a great effort of this Gabrielle Aplin song. Every time I hear Taylor Willis sing, I love her voice more and more, and I think she doesn't even realize how awesome she is! I can't believe this girl is a freshman in college- her voice is mature enough to have fooled me. Great choice of a song here, as the "heavenly" factor is show through the roof! For more of Taylor's videos, check out her youtube channel at www.youtube.com/eternalheartspeaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MP9Wjne43I

"Right Where You Wanted Me"- Jamie Floyd. I am so glad I got hear this song live a good 4-5 times, and every time I heard it, I was affected. I relate to this song on so many levels, and I always loved how Mississippi was mentioned in the first line. Jamie Floyd has real guitar and songwriting talent, and I don't know a single person I've played this song that didn't have something great to say about it. For more of her awesome music, check out http://soundcloud.com/jamiefloyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbmR5ftX7I

"Goodbye Woman"- Mason Douglas. This song receives infinite bonus points for being "for the General" at one of Mason's performances in Nashville in what seems like another life ago. I've used this song so many times in my life and I'm telling you, every guy has felt this way at some point. The crazy thing is that as awesome as this song is, I wouldn't even say it's Mason's best song! I took a few people to see Mason in Nashville, even some who were hesitant, and every single one of them said "man thank you so much". I'm telling you, he's just that good! This song was featured on his awesome album My Wild Heart which is available on iTunes. For more of Mason's awesome music, check out www.masondouglasmusic.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Vc_UlK0mQ

Swish and Nadirah X

Queen of Hearts

Joy Collins

David Jennings

Maggie McClure

of Verona

Mason Douglas

Sophie Delila

The New Velvet

The Nearly Deads

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons