Thursday, June 28, 2012

Late Night Music Jason and Christy Wedding Edition Part 140..........."I Think I Wanna Marry You"

In honor of Jason and Christy's wedding Saturday, I decided to do a list featuring some of the greatest wedding songs of all time, and some songs that SHOULD be wedding songs. I'm seriously laughing at the amount of Country and R & B on this one. Easily the most of either for any non- genre specific list I've ever done.

There was no way I could feature "Marry The Night" by Lady Gaga on this one- that's just wrong. All other songs receiving votes in this category were featured on the list.

"Marry You"- Bruno Mars. Awesome live performance and remix of Bruno Mars awesome wedding song from his debut album Doo-Wops and Hooligans at the 2011 European VMAs. This elope anthem was a huge hit in Europe and peaked at #10 in Canada and despite not even being released as a single in the United States, it peaked at #85 on the Billboard Hot 100 no doubt aided by the inclusion of the song in the famous Glee "wedding episode" which also featured another Bruno Mars song "Just The Way You Are". I'm really waiting for Bruno Mars second album, as I think the guy is absolutely brilliant and has already crossed genres masterfully. Also, after this cool live remix of a song without a lot of background vocals, I think I'd enjoy one of his live shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curhWs6dSeA

"I Do (Cherish You)"- 98 Degrees. This wedding clad video was actually the very first video ever featured on the MTV show Making The Video when MTV still showed music, and very famously featured Doritos girl and Mario Lopez ex-wife Ali Landry and a cameo by the always annoying Dustin Diamond. This solid soul song that was actually cover of a country version by Mark Wills. This version was included on 98 Degrees second album 98 Degree and Rising and went on to peak at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was also included on the soundtrack of the 1999 Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant film Notting Hill. Holy shnikees Ali Landry is hot! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kofixtz2Us

"Let's Get Married"- Jagged Edge. This lead single from Jagged Edge's 2000 album J.E. Heartbreak. This is an awesome R & B song from a great era of soul music, but this video is super cheesy. I'll also never forget their live performance on WWE Friday Night Smackdown! when Teddy Long was about to marry the super hot Kristal Marshall in the storyline. This breakout single for Jagged Edge shot to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and went to #1 on the Billboard R & B Charts. I'll also go ahead and say that there is no way in the world to tell twins Brian and Brandon Casey apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe_94orQiA

"Give Me You"- Mary J. Blige. I actually know of someone singing this song while walking down the aisle. I still can't figure out what Mary J. Blige did to get Michael Jordan in this video, seeing how he was retired at the time of the filming. This song, which features Eric Clapton on guitar, will always have a special place for me just because it was the fist MJB song I really loved off of her 1999 smash album Mary. While the song was a top 20 hit in the UK, the song only managed to climb to #65 on the Billboard Hot 100 despite the heavily rotated video and the critically acclaimed album. I always thought it was funny how Mary went from crazy hair to teacher look a like in a matter of 2 frames. Easily her biggest wardrobe contrast in any video.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF5K6Rissc

"Dontchange"- Musiq Soulchild. Great underrated single here from Musiq's 2002 sophomore album Juslisen. I can't believe that I actually never had this song on here before because it was one of the better R & B songs of that year. I have to actually go ahead say also that Musiq is pretty believable as the old patriarch in this very creative video. This song went on to peak at #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 while the album was at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBD8t0sB-4

"My Last Name"- Dierks Bentley. I'm gonna go ahead and say that this will be more than likely the only Dirks Bentley song I ever have on here. I have to admit that I've actually done this song karaoke before too............wow I just remembered that- talk about rough! This second single off of his self titled 2003 album peaked at #17 on the Billboard Country Chart and made us always think of him as a guy who tried to look like Billy Currington just with a more awful perm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLdia5Mt10

"Here And Now"- Luther Vandross. Man this song is amazing. This stand alone single in 1989 from Luther would go on to win him the Grammy for Best R & B Male Vocal Performance and would be featured on his 1991 Greatest Hits album. Even though this song was released in 1989, Luther made no secret that he wasn't ready to let go of the 80's in this unbelievably 80's video. I almost feel like I'm watching Naked Eyes or After The Fire video mixed with the opening credits of In Living Color with Luther Vandross dubbed over. How did Luther always smile that big and still sound so awesome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_u4nlYmNs

"Chances"- Five For Fighting. You may disagree with me, but I think this song would be a perfect wedding song. It may not be known as one, but if you really listen to the lyrics, this song is all about taking chances and making it work to be something spectacular. I may have missed the meaning, but that's what I gained from it. This song from F4F's 2009 album Slice was surprisingly not as successful as other songs, merely hitting #83 on the Billboard Hot 100, but remains a staple for fans as well as sports montages from ESPN, and was memorably the montage video for Shawn Michaels in his entrance into the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame class. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwddVjlUvQ

"After All Is Said And Done"- Beyonce and Marc Nelson. I really hate Marc Nelson, but this song is really amazing, as it was featured during the wedding scene of the 1999 movie. The Best Man, and while it was never released as a single, it has been a staple at weddings across the country and was our first real look at Beyonce as not a member of Destiny's Child, and while it was a good track by Marc Nelson, one good song with Beyonce doesn't make leaving Boyz II Men a smart move. Still one of the dumbest moves in the history of music. I wish there was a clip of this scene with this song being played- really a very very very underrated movie, and in my opinion, the best African American produced film of all time (with Love and Basketball being a very close second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8pOoBqiLYo

"I Cross My Heart"- George Strait. I actually know of 3 weddings this song was featured in, including one I was present at, and while it's a pretty good song, I always feel like I've stepped into a Jeff Foxworthy book when this song plays. Used as the main song of the 1992 horrific movie Pure Country which featured Strait in his disastrous acting debut, the soundtrack became Strait's best selling album ever and this song went to #1 on the Billboard Country Charts and remains one of Strait's most famous songs. I guess I could see that, as long as people forget how embarassingly bad this movie is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnFs7SCI3ZM

"Love Moves In Mysterious Ways"- Michael English. This one gets bonus points for me and Jay Money always listening to it when we were in 5th and 6th grade and thinking it would give us some kinda magic to get some girl to talk to us. It never worked, but hey it was a cool thought. The song was actually a cover of Julia Fordham's British Top 20 hit from 1991, and was then covered on English's 1993 smash album Hope, which would help propel English to his infamous 4 GMA Dove Awards in 1994, which were later returned after his controversial extramarital affair. Really good live performance of this song. Still my favorite song by him.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzY_9Thqxvk

"Happily Ever After"- Case. Bonus points for Beyonce! Between this and the previous Marc Nelson duet, I think we were starting to see which direction Beyonce's career was going to go. This lead single from Case's 1999 album Personal Conversations went to #15 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remains easily his biggest hit for a guy I always thought was pretty talented in a log jammed genre at the time. Dude is so much better than Tyrese, but never got the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWIDkUsTa0

"Meet Me At The End Of The Aisle"- Mason Douglas. I freaking love this song and I wish Mason had a video of it. Instead, here is a link to his first ever single which gained him his first recognition in the music industry. For more on Mason Douglas, check out www.masondouglasmusic.com.

http://www.ourstage.com/media_items/BTGPYRGVIARG-meet-me-at-the-end

"Back At One"- Brian McKnight. I kinda wish this video wasn't so depressing, but this title track to Brian McKnight's 1999 album at the height of his success peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and is without a doubt his biggest hit ever, and this big budget video helped push the song's popularity. I actually also really liked Mark Wills country version of the song as well, which went to #1 on the Billboard Country Charts.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Im5XeLbHy8

"When God Made You"- Newsong and Natalie Grant. This song from Newsong's 2003 album More Life featured gospel mega star Natalie Grant on a song that went to #33 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart, something that neither Christian artist had ever done. This song is very popular in weddings with couples singing it themselves, nothing like a little wedding karaoke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwddVjlUvQ

BONUS VIDEOS- "Marry You"- From the famous "Wedding Episode" of Glee. Sorry for the mirrored video, but this was a great scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHT7wdCQOw

"Love Song"- Tesla. I seriously know someone who walked down the aisle to this song. If I'm lyin, I'm dyin. You can't make stuff like that up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt-ybUuZjLE

98 Degrees
How was Luther always smiling?
I see this picture and I think he looks like Jamie Kennedy with a perm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons