Friday, July 27, 2012

Late Night Music Summer Olympics Edition Part 143......."Artist Of Asia"

I seriously just wanted to write this one to show the unknown talent of some of the best Asian artists out there. I think it's unfair in this country that we still put racial stereotypes on everything including musicians. I learned a lot myself in this one, as this is quite possibly the most musically diverse list I've ever done.

In order to be considered in this category, the ENTIRE band or artist had to be of some sort of Asian ancestry. This would disqualify Van Halen. All Asian countries were considered including India, the Middle East, and all Far East countries. Both native artists and American/Canadian artists are featured in this list just to give it more diversity. In a "Late Night Music" rarity, all songs receiving votes were included. At the end, Israel, India, Japan, China, Korea, Phillipines, Indonesia, and Vietnam are all included in this list.

"Goodbye To You"- Michelle Branch. Ok, I promise this is the only reach. Michelle Branch's mother is Indonesian, giving Michelle her edgy Asian look that makes her so beautiful to me. This song from her 2001 album The Spirit Room, and ironically went to #5 on the Indonesian Charts- so maybe it wasn't so much of a reach! The song went to #21 on the Billboard Hot 100, and is quite different than the album version which is much lighter, something I found out recently courtesy of iTunes. I like this version so much better, and this is easily one of my favorite songs of the 2000's, so I'm glad I found an excuse to include it on here. I know Michelle Branch is super talented, and I'm looking forward to seeing her make another great album with this kind of success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeK_aAWjmfw

"Love Moves In Mysterious Ways"- Nina. I know I featured this one before, but this version from Filipino superstar Nina Girado's smash album Live! is a great surprise from a much forgotten song. This Julia Fordham cover (which also has a spectacular version by Michael English) became Nina's biggest hit going to #1 on the Philliipines Charts for an unprecedented 12 weeks. This album also won numerous awards and is still Nina's biggest selling album to date going to Diamond just in the Phillipines with worldwide sales in the several millions. I love the intimate atmosphere of this video and album, as it was recorded in the famous Metrowalk district of Pasig City, Phillipines at PHI Resto and Bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWh4eHoRI2o

"Pyramid"- Charice featuring Lyaz. If anyone in the Phillipines could give Nina a run as the biggest act in the country, it would be Charice. You may remember her from her appearance on "Glee" as Sunshine Carazon (I smell a bonus video!). This unreal single from her self-titled first international album went to #56 on the Billboard Hot 100, but went to #1 on the Billboard Dance Tracks Chart. The song also went to #4 in Japan. This album, however reached #8 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. This girl sings like a freaking angel! Oprah Winfrey recently called her "the most talented person on the planet". That must have taken a lot for someone so eat up with themselves to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPG91x5eMY

"A Million Soldiers"- Naya Marie. This super cool track by Canadian diva Naya Marie was filmed in Toronto during a Newmindspace public pillow fight they are so known for. I have to be honest, I love Naya Marie, but the first few times I heard this song I didn't like it, but this track has grown on me so much! Just goes to show that great music and great musicians can really grow on you if you give them the chance. I'm counting down the days that Naya Marie finally makes big worldwide which she so deserves. I also love how all of her videos have a funny message like the dialogue bubble coming from her mouth saying "Subscribe Already!" classic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq8hyDWbDvk

"Star In My Eyes" - Gowe featuring Erin Kim. Dude this track stays playing on my phone! This is such a great combo track. This Seattle duo included this song on Gowe's newest album We Are Hypergiants. Gowe (Gifted on West East) has a Chinese background, but found out at 18 that he was adopted and has a Korean background. He recently released the single "I Wonder" as a way to search for his mother. I definitely smell a bonus video. We'll also see more of Erin Kim later on in this list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPPn9DyDfc

I'll Be There"- Taeyang. I've shown a few others of his videos, but this member of Korean boy band Big Bang took his solo career to another level with this surprisingly dark track from his debut album Solar. This track went to #16 on the Korean Charts while the album went to #1 on the Korean Album Charts and showed how talented this guy really is. This horror-movie/goth/Call of Duty Black Ops Zombie-esque video is actually pretty cool and is a very solid track. I love how Korean artists sing in English just throwing in Korean in certain areas. Considering how English is more than likely not his first language, his translation and pronunciation are pretty on point. As I said on facebook earlier this week about Taeyang, he's better in Korean than Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Jason Derulo, Trey Songz, and Lyfe Jennings are in English. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDhql20TSU

"Irony"- Seriously. This Los Angeles based band of Korean/Vietnamese Americans are so seriously awesome. What a great sound! This single is from their new self-titled EP. For more on Seriously, check out www.seriouslytheband.com or follow them on twitter @seriously_music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9np5Vd74XUE

"Try With Me"- Nicole Scherzinger. I didn't reach on this one! This former lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls is half filipino and one-fourth Hawaiian. I'm counting it. This fifth and final single from her debut solo album Killer Love was released in Europe and the single peaked at #18 on the British Single Chart. I love how people say Nicole Scherzinger isn't a good musician, when she plays the piano on this track. And yes, she might not be a great songwriter, but she's an amazing singer. She's also one of the top 10 hottest women alive in my opinion. This woman is absolutely hypnotizing to me. She is definitely one of the few celebrities I'd be star struck around. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sYiTyBjTY

"New Soul"- Yael Naim. This one is interesting. Yael Naim was born in France to parents who had immigrated from Israel to Tunisia, thus making her Israeli- and Asian. This single from her critically acclaimed self-titled debut album shot to fame in the United States while being featured on the Apple MacBook commercials, where it would eventually peak at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. I've thought about it, and I seriously can't think of any other artist who can compare to Yael Naim, quite possibly because I can't think of any other artists from Israel. Can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEfYGzojcA

"Down"- Jay Sean featuring Lil' Wayne. Jay Sean made history in 2009 when this song from his international debut album All Or Nothing went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 making him the first ever artist of Indian decent to have a #1 single in the United States. The song also went to #1 in the United Kingdom, where Sean lives. Extremely popular in the Indian community, Jay Sean has stayed in the spotlight, but hasn't even touched the popularity of this awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbpGmR1-QM

"Rewrite"- Asian Kung Fu Generation. What a cool band name! I really wish I knew what these guys were saying because this song is freaking awesome! This awesome track from Japanese band Asian Kung-Fu Generation was included on their 2004 album Sol-Fa and peaked at #4 on the Oricon Japanese Singles Chart. This song was also the theme song for the very popular Japanese Anime Series "The Fullmetal Alchemist". I would much rather listen to this band than most of the crap in the United States. Why can't we get music like this in America? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF_YC1-hsqg

"Wherever You Are"- One Ok Rock. What a phenomenal power ballad! This awesome track was featured on Japanese band's 2010 album Niche Syndrome and is featured here in a phenomenal live performance. I admit I laughed when I saw that the band's name is actually a play on the phrase "One O' Clock". How funny is it when people can make fun of themselves? Again, I love when Asian bands sing half in English and half in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yMtJZ4HI4I

"So Today"- F T Island. This Korean band's name is actually short for "Five Treasure Island". This single from their self-titled album is actually sung in Japanese, and this album went to #1 on the Japanese Album Charts. This single, went to #8 in Korea and #4 in Japan. I guess this song is kinda like European and Latin American artists coming to the United States and recording in English. Interesting analogy huh? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlFKr5eaTA

"Blue"- Big Bang. Big Bang is probably the biggest act in Asia right now. Unlike American boy bands, they can record solo albums and still be together- maybe N'Sync should take some notes! Anyway, this single from their latest album "Alive" was released in both Japanese and Korean, with this being (at least I think so) the Korean version. This song, as they've done 12 other times, went to #1 on the Korean charts, with the album also going to #1 in Korea and #6 in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GRP1rkE4O0

"Nobody"- Wonder Girls. This Korean girl band made their American debut in 2008 with this English song that actually peaked at #76 on the Billboard Hot 100 in becoming the first ever group from South Korea to ever have a song on the chart. The song was actually the third version of the song, with the first two being in Korean and Japanese and were both huge in Asia. This video is pretty hilarious, but I kinda wish it had a different theme because it's hard to really see what the band looks like out of costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7fdSkp8ds

"Xin Anh Dung"- Emily and Lil' Knight featuring Justatee. Ok, I seriously couldn't find anything concrete on this one. I did find that Justatee is a Vietnamese rapper, so I'm gonna guess that this is either a Vietnamese of Chinese video, but I seriously love this song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGLSKswAIc8

"By My Side"- David Choi. David Choi is so awesome! This title track to this 2010 album for this Los Angeles based singer is a seriously unreal track. The video also features notable blogger Jenny Ong as the female interest, and a good one to have I might add. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWYvpsLr4o

"Why Don't We Fall In Love?"- Amerie. Most people forget that Amerie is half Korean. This awesome track from her 2002 debut album All I Have went to #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was used to promote the soap opera "The Young And The Restless". When Amerie asks me this question, I have to say why not- look at those eyes- would you say no? I love how this video got away from the 90's-esque soul videos which featured stupid kissing situations, kids running around for no reasons, and usually someone breaking up a wedding. This song really helped usher in 2000's R & B and ushered a new kind of R & B video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sELR5SLXABI

"We All Try"- Erin Kim featuring New Heights. This Frank Ocean cover is put on another level by Erin Kim here with fellow Seattle band New Heights. Erin Kim shows how soulful she really is in this song, and I promise you that you would have no idea they were Korean if you listened to this song without watching the video. I like Erin Kim in her duet with Gowe, but this style is so much more suited for her! I could listen to this woman sing all night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xky-CuITs

"Hand In Hand"- Various Chinese Artists. Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLw2LTfh2s

BONUS VIDEOS- "Listen"- Charice as Sunshine Corazon. From her critically-acclaimed appearance on "Glee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8ecTrYHP0

"Liar"- One Ok Rock. Another great track from One Ok Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osr0JxHm9nY

"I Need A Girl"- Taeyang featuring G-Dragon. Taeyang's super big single with Big Bang bandmate G-Dragon. 16 million freaking youtube views!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuiBjL09KY

"Siren"- Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Another single from AKFG's 2004 album Sol-Fa. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkZPHNGwuY

"Lady Gaga Acapella Medley"- Naya Marie. I seriously can't get enough of this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGKErn2Zr88

"I Wonder"- Gowe featuring Erin Kim. Gowe's song in search of his birth mother. Very interesting track and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcblBDTAoQ

Asian Kung Fu Generation

Gowe and Erin Kim

Big Bang

One Ok Rock

Naya Marie

Oh that's what they look like!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons