Friday, November 16, 2012

Late Night Music Part 149.........."Good Morning!"


Good morning everyone! It's a great day for most of you out there! This list celebrates the song that make us wanna say GOOD MORNING!

In order to receive votes in this category, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "morning". Also receiving votes in this category were "Good Morning" by Brymo, "Good Morning Beautiful" by Steve Holy, "Chelsea Morning" by Joni Mitchell, and "Good Morning" by Chamillionaire.

"Good Morning Killer"- Shadowclub. This South African rock trio reminds me so much of Jet and The Strokes. This song from their latest album Guns and Money is currently available on iTunes. This video really reminds me of The Fray's video of their cover of Kanye West's "Heartless" just because of the random illustrations. Speaking of them, I smell a bonus video. I really look forward to hearing more of Shadowclub, and I hope that they like Freshlyground, don't have the misfortune of being from South Africa being the one thing that keeps from being more widely known. I love the retro feel of this video- very 90's. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFL9iHTc8Pk

"Good Morning Sunshine"- Alex Day. English pop guy Alex Day cracks me up so much. He in way reminds of Ben Lee. This lead single from his latest album Epigrams and Interludes was the follow up to his #15 British Single Chart hit "Lady Godiva". Alex Day is cool to me because he looks like the kind of guy that can blend in with a crowd and you would never guess in a million years that he is a singer. Must be nice. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFL9iHTc8Pk

"Good Morning and Good Night"- Maggie McClure. This pride of Tulsa, Oklahoma has become a personal favorite of mine. This is such a great song to start your day with. This title track to her album (which is SO available on iTunes) reminds me of not only Sara Bareilles and Colbie Caillat, but of Nora Jones as well. This video took some work to record as it's filmed in several landmarks in the USA. Maggie McClure has the look and the sound to be a successful artist in the United States, and I think she's gonna be huge soon. All the proof I need is here with this video which is tons better than most videos made by Top 40 artists today. Think about it- would you rather listen and watch this or another vomit inducing track from Nicki Minaj? I rest my case. For more on Maggie McClure check out her website www.maggiemcclure.com 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-GfXv5rmY

"Morning After Dark"- Timbaland featuring Nelly Furtado and SoShy. I was on the fence on this one. I've actually included this one before, but it just creeps me out. It's not every day you see Halloween themed songs made by mainstream artists (yes, I know you're gonna say "Thriller" but that was SO once in a lifetime!) Most of you know my fascination with oddly grouped combos of artists for songs, and this one always stands out to me. Timbaland is a different kind of guy, but this song almost takes the cake. First of all, anybody grouped with Nelly Furtado is gonna be considered different just because Nelly is so dang non genre and SoShy is huge in France, so it was different to see and hear her on an American track. This single was featured on Timbaland's 2009 album Shock Value II and peaked at #61 on the Billboard Hot 100. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25LBTSUEU0A

"Good Morning, Good Morning"- The Beatles. This forgotten track from the Beatles mega album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. This song was amazingly inspired by a Kellogg's commercial John Lennon saw and even mentions a popular BBC Sitcom Meet The Wife in the lyrics. This is also, as far as I know, the only Beatles song to switch to German at some point in the song. Which makes it the third foreign language they used in their songs. Who can name the other two and times they were used? Also, in another Beatle rarity, while all four Beatles appear on the track, Paul plays the lead guitar part, something that only happened a handful of times. Even if you aren't a Beatles fan, every music fan should make it a point to get Sergeant Pepper. Most revolutionary album ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZC6IqVTNBA

"Sunday Morning"- Maroon 5. Maroon 5 is one of those bands I just want to hate, but they are so good. This single from their 2004 debut album Songs About Jane peaked at #31 on the Billboard Hot 100 and featured this hilarious video which includes a karaoke performance of "This Love" in the beginning. I'm gonna go ahead and give bonus points for that. Adam Levine is one of those guys that is so cool it makes you mad. If you have no idea who he is, you don't ask him what he does for a living, because all you have to do is look at him and you can figure it out. I just want to be as cool as guys who have awesome five o clock shadows.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Cti12XBw4

"Morning Comes"- Delta Rae. This gem from North Carolina's Delta Rae jumped out at me as soon as I started listening to it. This single was included on their debut album Carry The Fire which was released in June of this year. This is also one of the most clever lyrics I've heard in a long time. I'm also gonna call this one of the most difficult video shoots ever made in music history. There is no way I could lip sync a song while all of this foolishness was going on. This band actually has a cool back story as well. They are made up of Eric, Brittany, and Ian Holljes who came up with the band name from a character their mother was going to write about in a book named Delta Rae who was going to summon Greek gods to earth. For more on Delta Rae, check them out on www.deltarae.com. Carry The Fire is also now available on iTunes. This band is going to be great. They really remind me of Lady Antebellum or The Band Perry. Something about family groups seems to always work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6FtsWX0dTg

"Good Morning Again"- Midnight To Twelve. This is another song that really jumped out at me. I couldn't get enough of it. I also think that this is one of the coolest band names ever. This Los Angeles band gives a retro power ballad feel with this rock anthem that stays stuck in your head after you hear it a few times. This single is featured on their new self titled album now available on iTunes. For more on Midnight To Twelve, check out http://www.myspace.com/m212live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGeoYnIadc

"Sunday Morning"- No Doubt. No Doubt is one of the bands I just want to hate but can't. I got so sick of Tragic Kingdom I swore I would never listen to them again. Their songs were monotonous and overplayed to the point that they became the Daughtry of my generation. However, this song always seems to pull me back again. This song also from the aforementioned album, was left out of the overplayed loop I guess because it was so much different than the other songs we constantly heard on pop radio and on MTV. This song only peaked at #35 on the Billboard Pop Songs chart. Gwen Stefani was always one of those women who was sexy in a mysterious way, and her mastery of this song is unbelievable. And while I hate to admit it, No Doubt was a band that owned their songs like no other, and this track is a perfect example of that. This video is also so 90's- outside, picnics, parties, random little kids. That's what I love about the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBX-ESFDF0

"Good Morning"- Mandisa featuring TobyMac. If you can listen to this song and not get excited something is seriously wrong with you! This former "American Idol" finalist puts on a spectacular performance on "Good Morning America" with former dc Talk rapper turned solo artist TobyMac. This song peaked at #28 on the Billboard Christian Charts off of the 2011 album What If We Were Real, which itself peaked at #66 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Charts and #2 on the Billboard Christian Charts. Mandisa is a perfect example of how "American Idol" is rigged. How in the world did Taylor Hicks win over her? She's not only a better singer, she's more inspirational. Her recent weight loss just to spite Simon Cowell is also inspirational in itself. I also love the changing of the lyrics on the last chorus of the song as a tribute to "Good Morning America". Can't wait for her next album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVwGpPAdPA

"Before The Morning"- Josh Wilson. This inspirational track off of El Dorado, Arkansas artist Josh Wilson's 2010 self-titled album propelled him into the top of Contemporary Christian music. I've watched this video a few times now and I can't help but picture a cross between David Cook, Dave Barnes, and Mat Kearney. Is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=New8i_eX3x8

"Monday Morning"- Fleetwood Mac. This Lindsey Buckingham pinned pop anthem opened up the Buckingham/Nicks era of Fleetwood Mac with a bang in 1975 as it was the lead track on their much acclaimed 1975 self titled album, their first with the new additions of Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The rest, as they say, is history. I think it's pretty fair when people who aren't even Fleetwood Mac fans to recognize Lindsey Buckingham as one of the best guitar players of all time. When he left the band in 1987, it took two guitar players to replace him. Very few lead singers can sing and do his lead guitar riffs he is famous for. I am also proud to say that I have a Lindsey Buckingham autograph. It's the small things sometimes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtKof6G5iw

"Good Morning"- John Legend. After the success of his debut album Get Lifted, John Legend is a guy who kind of fell off the radar as far as the mainstream R & B and Pop charts. However, this lead track of his 2008 album Evolver proves that he's just as soulful as he was when he first hit the scene in 2004. This great track only topped out at #12 on the Billboard Jazz Charts, but gave a great intro to a largely unheralded album despite topping out at #4 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. This great live effort from "Sessions at AOL" really shows the soulful feel of a John Legend concert. John Legend's jazzy music seems to be a lost art. I hope he and more artists can hit the big scene again with this style of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FDGviwiJo

"Good Morning Freedom"- Blue Mink. Yeah, I don't remember this song either. This very strange British pop group reached #10 on the British Singles Chart with this freedom anthem off of their 1970 album Our World. If you can watch this video without laughing, you're better than me. I can't believe they are being serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-ni04N854

"The Morning"- The Weeknd. No, I didn't misspell the band name. This Canadian soul artist takes neo soul to a new level with this song. This track from their debut mixtape House Of Balloons. This album was critically acclaimed by Pitchfork Media, who called this song the #15 best song of 2011. I'm starting to think that Toronto is becoming a hot bed for talented artists who are willing to push the envelope in creativity. The Weeknd is unlike I've ever heard in the United States, and dude can sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8oLQmqHnws

"Monday Morning"- Melanie Fiona. Speaking of Toronto, Canadian soul starlet Melanie Fiona jumped into the spotlight with this super cool video and fantastic track off of her 2009 debut album The Bridge. Despite only being released in Europe as a single, where it went to #1 in Hungary, Poland, and Switzerland, the track still gained popularity in Canada and in the United States which propelled her popularity before her release of her 2012 album The MF Life. It also led to her being awarded the Soul Train Award for Best New Artist in 2010. This video really reminds me of Destiny's Child video for their cover of "Emotions" in 2001. Just with just one person instead of three. Really cool concept if you ask me. I'd love to see Melanie Fiona live sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8QgSzY3nI

"Sunday Morning Sunshine"- Harry Chapin. When Harry Chapin released Sniper and Other Love Songs in 1972, it didn't receive near the hype that is debut album Heads and Tales received. However, the album is almost as good, and features this favorite track of Chapin fans everywhere. In an otherwise depressing album, this upbeat happy song is an anomaly that Chapin was always so well known for. I always laugh to myself when I know for a fact that Harry Chapin played a concert at Mississippi College in 1978, something that would never happen today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZr1iq-D-YU

BONUS VIDEOS- "City of New Orleans"- Arlo Guthrie. This is one you always wanted to count. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxoM6trtZE

"Hello, Goodbye"- The Beatles. So close, great song. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZ8ulc5NTg

"Don't Know The Way"- Midnight To Twelve". Another great song from Midnight to Twelve. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DfsCGdt2HE

"Stronger"- Mandisa. Mandisa's #1 hit off of her album What If We Were Real.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2Hdh7cvA

"If I Loved You"- Delta Rae. Another great song from Delta Rae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgU_xAWSYNA

Maggie McClure

Delta Rae

Midnight To Twelve

why do I love you so much Gwen Stefani?

1 Comments:

Blogger ALLYSHA said...

Holy shit, dude (hope children don't read this blog. Sorry kids! Stay in school...)! Delta Rae is it. They snagged my attention immediately. I've added them to my list (yes, I'm literally making a list on my (adorable) iphone of MORE songs to buy. Shut up. I've liked Melanie Fiona and her amazing lion tattoo for a while. I forget to write about Sophie Madeleine and Miwa Gemini on the other post. Really talented and I happen to love that Dolly Parton track. I'm sucker for the 80s.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons