Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Late Night Music Part 150........"Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"


Sometimes you just want someone to stay. Even if you want to move on, sometimes the best thing is to stay. That sounds really bad. I'll just get to the list.

In order to receive votes in this category, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "Stay" in it somewhere. All songs receiving votes in this category were included on this list. NOT RECEIVING VOTES were "Stay" by Miley Cyrus, "Stay" by Tyrese, "Here To Stay" by Korn, and "Stay" by Ne-Yo.

"The Load Out/Stay"- Jackson Browne. This live medley became a staple of Browne shows when a 1977 recording was featured on his album Running on Empty. The first part of the track is a song Browne wrote as a tribute to his fans and roadies about the trials of touring and constantly being on the road. The second part was a cover of the Maurice Williams song from 1960. The song was met with great reaction as it started being played on tour while Jackson Browne was promoting his previous smash album The Pretender. This track from the much anticipated follow up album peaked at #20 on the Billboard Hot 100, while the album itself peaked at #3 on the Billboard Pop Albums Chart. I have to admit though, that my favorite part of this song is the changing of the genres of the band during the fourth verse when the song talks about the different they listen to on the bus. Huge bonus points for band member David Lindley singing some sick falsetto on this track. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiytEK35ddM

"Stay"- Nick Jonas and The Administration. I am waiting for the day that Nick Jonas announces he is leaving his brothers and going with this band full time. This act is so much better than his bubble gum brothers it is seriously embarassing. I'm sure some sort of contractual obligations and family pressures keeps him from doing so just yet, but man when he does, I'm telling you Nick Jonas will be a star. I love this song! This styles suits him way more and is very John Mayer/Simply Red esque if you ask me. This version here was actually the version used in the single release and was recorded at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles. While this performance is from the 2010 Who I Am Tour, it was not included on the band's first album Who I Am. I love when talented kid artists are allowed to write their own music and make a name for themselves (Hanson, Michael Jackson, etc.). This version peaked at #24 on the Billboard US Heatseekers Chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8JbpAjOx8

"If You Stay"- Joseph Vincent. This awesome track from Los Angeles artist Joseph Vincent is included on his debut album Blue Skies which is now available on iTunes. Joseph Vincent really reminds me of fellow West Coaster David Choi, and no not just because he's Asian (but they do kinda look alike). For more on Joseph Vincent check out www.josephvincentmusic.com or follow him on twitter at @teamjvglobal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVu-egUMM0

"Stay With Me"- Madeira. I just discovered this song from this Orlando band, but I have to say that I really love it. I don't even know if Madeira is still together, but I'm glad they graced us with their presence long enough to give us this really good track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5191kFiJvY

"Why Would You Stay"- Kem.  I always laugh when I think about this song because it seemed like so many people had it as their ring tone when I worked at Sprint. You may laugh, but I you can't make that up. This single from his latest album Intimacy: Album III reached #102 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #17 on the Billboard R & B Charts, and drew Kem his first Grammy nomination when this track was nominated for Best Male R & B Performance at the 2011 Grammys. I would also like to thank Kem for picking an easy stage name because his real name Adekemi Owens is just too much to spit out. I keep watching this video and all I can think is that Kem looks a lot like Don Cheadle- anyone agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0pgd0k5js

"Stay"- Goldhand. It's always a great day when I discover a new foreign band further making my argument that international music is quickly catching up with American music that much more true. This Hungarian artist puts on a great effort here with this track which is also his latest single. I am always slightly confused with European artists in particular record in English but have no English media/promotional material. Here is another great example of that. All of his websites and media material is in Hungarian. Why this occurs I do not know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2emh_OUy2Q

"Can I Stay With You"- Karyn White. This Babyface written track was included on Karyn White's 1994 album Make Him Do Right, and in typical Babyface fashion, features him on background vocals. Despite White's huge success in the late 80's and early 90's this single and album just never caught on, with this single peaking at only #81 on the Billboard Hot 100. It did, however, crack the R & B Top 10, where it would be her last time on the chart. I think it's pretty obvious that her relationship with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis played at least a small part in her decline. While she was married to Lewis after the release of her first two albums which were Babyface produced, the Jam/Lewis produced third album would prove to be her last on Warner Brothers. Seems kind of suspicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPjMZBOrkk

"Stay"- Mayday Parade. Talk about a band flying under the radar! This Tallahassee band included this track on their 2011 self titled album which debuted at #12 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. When watching this video I think Fall Out Boy, Avett Brothers, Secondhand Serenade, and a little Switchfoot. This song is great because it's pop catchy but is greatly original on so many levels. For more on Mayday Parade, check out www.maydayparade.com or find them on twitter @mayday_parade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfNjdcgp4E

"Stay Awake"- Julia Nunes. I love female singers that are completely "girl next door" look in every way. Julia Nunes and her ukulele make her stand out and blend in at the same time. She looks like a regular girl, but with her powerful voice and interesting arrangement, she shows that she is truly talented. Watching this video I can't help but think of "Flash Forward" and the scenes with the people who had on the rings that didn't experience the blackouts. This super catchy song is the lead track off of her latest album Settle Down and is now availabe on iTunes. For more on Julia Nunes check out www.junumusic.com or follow her @julianunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9A3fupyjsk

"Stay"- Rihanna. Wow. This unreal performance from Rihanna on "Saturday Night Live" is nothing short of breathtaking. Many people including me have accused Rihanna of sensationalism and surreal performances, but this song and performance is as raw as R & B gets! This track is included on her latest album Unapologetic, and while it hasn't been released as a single in the United States yet, I could definitely see that in the near future. This song is obvious about life experiences with past loves, and most people have interpreted it to be about Chris Brown, and that sucks because he doesn't even deserve a song about him being a douche. The single was released in the UK and debuted at #16 on the British Singles Chart and features songwriter Mikky Ekko as a guest vocalist. I think the Bob Marley dress here was an interesting but great addition to a phenomenal performance. What is Rihanna gonna do next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dW7z0QBNg

"Stay With Me"- You Me At Six. This heavy hitting single from British rockers You Me At Six peaked at #52 on the British Singles Chart in support of their 2010 album Hold Me Down. I have to stay I was surprised by this video as I didn't think anyone drove Datsun pickup trucks after my trip to the UK in 1995. I guess you learn something new every day. I am also gonna say that lead singer Josh Franceschi has moved into a tie with Breaking Benjamin's Benjamin Burley for the award for "the guy who least looks like that voice fits him as a lead singer". I know that feeling though- and it's great! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5ivNkEcwo

"Should I Stay Or Should I Go"- The Clash.The Clash already had a cult following unlike the world had ever seen by the time 1982's Combat Rock hit the airwaves in Europe. This admitted "spur of the moment" song proved to the band's first ever #1 single on the British Singles Chart (amazingly on the 1991 re-release no less! The original release peaked at #17) and made a splash in the United States peaking at #45 on the Billboard Hot 100. The single would catapult The Clash into superstardom in the UK and the United States, as Combat Rock would go on to be one of the most influential and famous records of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk

"I Wish You'd Stay"- Brad Paisley. Brad Paisley is one of the guys that would be so easy to hate, but he has so much talent you have no choice but to really give the guy his props. This song was originally the B-Side to his previous single "I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishing Song)" and was included on his 2001 album Part II. I love how the song at least a little bit shows off Brad Paisley's guitar playing, even if it is mainly at the end of the track. Brad Paisley is quite possibly the best guitar player in the country genre, and even most rock people will agree with that one. This song peaked at #7 on the Billboard Country Charts, and helped propel him into his next album Mud On The Tires which really started to establish him as a country superstar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-kzLZs650

"Stay"- SafetySuit. I've always thought SafetySuit was one of the cooler band names. It's really different but I've always thought it was catchy. But my question is why does this video wanna make me think of "The Hardest Thing" by 98 Degrees? Never been a huge fan of the "hero gets his butt kicked" videos. That being said, this is a great song from their 2009 debut album Life Left To Go. This song found success in Japan peaking at #36 and peaked at #44 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart.This Tulsa band has always been cool to me. They remind me in a way of The Almost.....almost. See what I did there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylTsyqX_iY

"Stay Close"- Fireflight. Fireflight always rocks my face off! This lead single from their latest album Now shot to #1 on the Billboard Christian Rock Charts and the album debuted at #51 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart from the success of the single. Dawn Michele commands a microphone and a stage as good or better than any female lead singer I've ever seen. Fireflight has a band chemistry that is so obvious in every recording or performance. If you ever have a chance to see Fireflight live, make sure you do. Fireflight is a perfect example of how a Christian band can have a great message without beating their audience over the head with overtly religious attacking messages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhfVcY1sEY

"Stay"- Sara Bareilles. Great live performance here from Sara Bareilles of her latest single from her 2012 EP Once Upon Another Time. The EP peaked at #8 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Every time I hear Sara Bareilles hit one of those long notes, I get chills. The soul this woman brings to her craft is unbelievably underrated. I always love to remember how I knew about Sara Bareilles before she got famous. It was kind of like knowing a secret. I hope her little girl looks and soulful piano ballads never go away because we need her to stick around for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4ZC9-sO3s

"Stay Down"- Mary J. Blige. This highly unappreciated MJB song from her 2008 album Growing Pains included this awesome Hype Williams directed video which features a unique setting for both the song and Mary herself.Growing Pains has always been my favorite album since Mary because just like this song, it's so personal and deep. I always thought Mary had personal music, but I never saw more of her as a woman and an artist than I did on this album. This song just always meant a lot to me because it is about loyalty that I always swear is missing. Leave it to Mary to always take the words out of my mouth. This song peaked at #34 on the Billboard R & B Charts. Bonus points for the reference to the Jeffersons in the lyrics. You know I'm not a very starstruck person, but Mary J Blige is one celebrity I would die to meet. Mary is everyting an artist is supposed to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalyCstquy8

"Stay"- Sugarland. I really never cared for this song, but I included it because I know I'd have some boos from the peanut gallery if it was left off. Nothing against Sugarland, this song just always rubbed me the wrong way. Can't even say why. Some songs just don't click with you. This single from their 2007 album Enjoy The Ride peaked at #2 on the Billboard County Charts and #36 on the Billboard Hot 100. Jennifer Nettles is quite awesome, but this song has never clicked with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPG1n1B0Ydw

"Stay Here Forever"- Jewel. Jewel's move to country music has always impressed me, and I hate she really doesn't still have the same following she had when she first hit the scene in the late 90's. She's no doubt a talented lyricist and singer, and her guitar playing isn't too shabby either. This song was featured on the soundtrack for the movie "Valentine's Day" and was included on her album Sweet and Wild. It peaked at #34 on the Billboard Country Charts. This song is so catchy! I wish it was more popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyv-KWf_AlI

"Stay With Me"- Nina. Great performance here from Filipino diva extraordinaire Nina from her huge live album Nina Live! This album is the highest selling album by a female artist in the history of the Phillipines and I think proves that soul isn't something that's just in the United States. The artist is also the only album by a female artist to ever be certified Diamond in the Phillipines. This song is actually a cover originally by Pauline Wilson. I'd also like to point out that almost as good as Nina is her band. Who would have thought Asians could play like that? Another musical stereotype we all make the mistake of making. Bonus points for the Filipino commercials YouTube plays before this video lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv3TZcVZspA

"Stay Off My Facebook"- Wax. Yeah, I'll just let you watch this one. Wax is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNMUuGTAOs

"Let's Stay Together"- Al Green. Did I even have a choice with this one? You thought I forgot didn't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzYxqG9N1c

BONUS VIDEOS- "Stay Awake"- Julia Nunes (Live on "Conan"). Julia Nunes performing live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDev9Yi9liM

"Miserable At Best"- Mayday Parade. Another great song from Mayday Parade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqM3Dr7agjY

"Lazy Eye"- Silversun Pickups. No reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYd57rkvnpQ

"Miserable"- Lit. Just because.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMOeTLLeaDU

"Spinning Wheels"- Angel Taylor. Love this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790DIbDaYqY

"Looking Up"- Paramore.  Live from Radio 1. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4JhTPX5lFA

Mayday Parade

Julia Nunes

The band he should really be in

Joseph Vincent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons