Saturday, January 05, 2013

Late Night Music Part 154......"Girl Power! Part 3"


I've done two "Girl Power!" entries, but I keep finding so many great female artists that I decided to write another one and include some of the great female artists that weren't included on the first two lists. Some of these acts are household names, some are just unknown in the United States, but some of these will hopefully be heard of everywhere one day.

Obviously, only solo female artists were included in this list. All artists receiving votes were included.

"Everyone's Waiting"- Missy Higgins. I can't believe that I haven't featured Missy Higgins on here more. This latest single from this singer/songwriter from Melbourne was the second single from her third album The 'Ol Razzle Dazzle released earlier this year and was her third #1 album in Australia. Not bad percentage huh? This single peaked at #10 on the Australian Singles Chart and gave Missy Higgins a new sort of sound to go along with her deeply personal lyrics. I'm so glad Missy Higgins came back so strong with this new album after taking nearly 5 years off after the release of her album On A Clear Night. A lot of times we complain when artists take a long time to release their next album, but this is a great example of how sometimes an artist needs time to clear their head and get the inspirational juices flowing. Because honestly would you rather have an album like this that is worth waiting for or an album that is obviously thrown together to fulfill record contracts? Yeah I thought so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFKGbH4NzE

"Arms"- Christina Perri. Here's one for you. I knew who Christina Perri was, but I had absolutely no idea she sang this song. This Pandora favorite off of Perri's 2011 debut album Lovestrong made a splash on VH1 with this dramatic big budget video which was fueled by Perri's "Glee" moment when her song "Jar Of Hearts" was covered. This song surprisingly only peaked at #94 on the Billboard Hot 100, but it is just a glimpse of big things to come for Christina Perri who is obviously very talented. This song was also given new life when Perri performed it this past season on "Dancing With The Stars".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeW0Sl0tNS8

"Stay (I Missed You)"- Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories. For some odd reason, this epic song has somehow avoided all my lists until now. Lisa Loeb made a splash when this song was included on the soundtrack of the 1994 comedy/drama movie "Reality Bites" starring Ben Stiller, Ethan Hawke, and Winona Ryder. Loeb was a personal friend of Hawke's and got included on the soundtrack because of him. He also made his directorial debut when he directed this video which became a huge hit on MTV and VH1. The video was unbelievably cheap to make, as it was filmed in all of two takes! Wow! Lisa Loeb also included this single on her debut album Tails but not before becoming to date still the only artist to ever top the Billboard Hot 100 without a major recording contract when this song peaked at #1 in 1994, knocking off All-4-One. Lisa Loeb has only cracked the Top 20 twice since she caught lightning in a bottle with this song, but she gave us one of the greatest "out of nowhere" songs in music history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9mCmx9Jhs

"The Way I Am"- Ingrid Michaelson. I LOVE INGRID MICHAELSON! This 2007 single from her album Girls and Boys peaked at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 and introduced Michaelson to a national audience. This song was performed by her when she made her US television debut on "Last Call With Carson Daly". Michaelson's albums have steadily climbed in the charts since, with her latest album Human Again peaked at #5 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Michaelson is a master at writing little diddies that stay stuck in your head and make you laugh at the same time. She's truly a distinct artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOzdLwvTHA

"Thank You"- Estelle. Estelle brings soul like no other to this single from her latest album All Of Me. This single peaked at #100 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #15 on the Billboard R & B Charts. This song was actually written by Akon (who sings backup vocals), and is thought of many people as a tribute song to Lauryn Hill, a favorite of Estelle. I have to admit, when you look at Estelle, you would never peg her as a singer. Goes to show that you can never judge talent on looks alone. This song is also nominated for Best R & B Performance at this year's Grammy Awards. Estelle really reminds me of Chrisette Michelle with a dash of Mary J. Blige. Too bad real R & B singers like this don't get a push anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUuEYM9vjlw

"You"- Chantelle Barry. This Perth, Australia singer/songwriter and frequent actress on the CW's "90210" puts on a soothing effort with this song and video. This single is from her debut album Simple Things. I wish I knew where this video was filmed, because I've heard that Perth is the most beautiful city in Australia, and that is some awesome beaches right there. For more on Chantelle Barry check her out at www.chantellebarrymusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhvcS-kRSA

"Piece Of My Heart"- Beverley Knight. This cover right here man! Wow, Beverley Knight lives up to her billing as "The Voice of Great Britain" with this unreal cover of the Emma Jones classic. This soulful but still rocking single was released on her 2006 compilation album Voice- The Best of Beverley Knight and peaked at #16 on the British Singles Chart. Beverley Knight shows that she's truly capable of performing any genre and killing it while doing so. I'd really love to see Beverley Knight make a splash in the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcnYOXhpzwI

"The Show"- Lenka. This song was famously included in the movie "Moneyball", and it was perfect for that movie, and it got a very underrated Aussie some much deserved exposure. This live peformance from the Australian morning show "Sunrise" does a great job capturing the personality of Lenka. Before its inclusion in the movie, this song from her 2008 self titled debut album saw its most success in the UK where it peaked at #22. I just love when an Australian singer's accent comes out in singing- you really don't see that much in British artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7hiqy4J-E

"Almost Lover"- A Fine Frenzy. Alison Sudol wins the award for the coolest stage name ever with this super awesome stage name which makes her sound like the ultimate badass. This debut single from her debut album One Cell In The Sea made a splash in Europe and was used on several American TV shows while peaking at just #76 on the Billboard Pop 100 chart. This Seattle artist is definitely one of a kind. I'm seriously enthralled by the piano being played in the middle of the river.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEEzS7OV2k

"Hands Tied"- Toni Braxton. Man I love this song! Toni Braxton is so freaking awesome! I still cannot figure out for the life of me why this song was not bigger! I know I say that every time, but it seriously blows my mind. Once again, this video gets bonus points for featuring former "Kids Incorporated" star Eric Balfour. I still can't get over the fact that this song, and the album it came from, Pulse, wasn't bigger. I realize that Toni Braxton was huge in the mid to late 90's, but this song and her current look is amazing. She's a great example of yet another woman aging gracefully, and in my opinion looking even better. As I watch this video again, my only question is what in the world are the guys in the back playing pool doing? Are you really telling me that wouldn't be looking at Toni Braxton? I'll believe that when I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpVynh9HWU

"You Win Again"- Sophie Madeleine. Sophie Madeleine does a spectacular cover of this forgotten 1987 Bee Gees song. Every time I hear this song or feature it on this list, I like it more and more. I've always loved the Bee Gees, but for some reason, this girl is so much easier to listen to than Barry Gibb. Sophie Madeleine did an incredible feat of covering 30 songs in 30 days and featuring all of them on her youtube channel. To see all 30 songs, check out http://www.youtube.com/misssophiemadeleine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqdiwGlb_o8

"More Than A Woman" - Aaliyah. Man talk about getting me emotional. Every time I think about the circumstances surrounding this diva's death I get upset. Aaliyah was so close to becoming the biggest R & B star maybe ever. This song from her final self titled album, was performed in her last ever TV performance when she appeared on "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno. This song also became her only #1 hit on the British Singles Chart, and peaked at #25 on the Billboard Hot 100. It always blew my mind that this video came out a few months after her death, it was almost like she knew this song and video would be huge, so it was filmed and then spent a few months in production to make it perfect as a swan song, as this song just before the infamous "Rock The Boat". Man this woman was about to set the world on fire. Sometimes life is so unbelievably unfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oAeoOcpUS4

"One Last Time"- Kellie Pickler. This former "American Idol" contestant puts forth an unreal beautiful effort with this song from her 2008 self-titled second album. The album reached #1 on the Billboard Country Charts and #9 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Kellie Pickler is one of the most beautiful women in music and has a simply breathtaking talent. I'm glad she's doing well, but she's also proof that it takes more than talent to win "American Idol" because Kellie Pickler, Mandisa, and Katharine McPhee all were too busy losing to TAYLOR HICKS. How in the world does that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu0cOnfUGa0

"Call Me Maybe"- Carly Rae Jepsen. I had to do it. Why do songs like this stick in your head? By the way, the "love interest" of Carly Rae Jepsen in this video has seriously the worst tattoos ever.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

"Need U Bad"- Jazmine Sullivan.  This debut single off of Sullivan's debut album Fearless is still her best to me. This single peaked at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the Billboard R & B Chart. I don't care what you guys say, I still think that Jazmine Sullivan strikes a stunning resemblance to the Mowry twins. Why am I the only person that thinks this? I am super glad that Pandora likes Jazmine Sullivan so much because this entire album gets a lot of love on most soul stations on Pandora, so make sure you add her to your station to hear one of the best debut albums ever.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiFqIVQNM4I

"Feels Like Home"- Chantal Kreviazuk. This piano ballad instant classic was actually not included on any album for this Canadian songstress. It was actually released originally on the Songs From Dawson's Creek soundtrack album in 1999 and later included on the soundtrack to the movie "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days". Without much play in the US, the song peaked at #12 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary Charts. Why you would not want to push a song like this is pretty amazing. I actually discovered this song a tribute to Mr. Rogers video. This song was also performed with Sara McLachlan to close out some of her sets on McLachlan's Lilith Fair tours.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ouxPhYy7Y

"Stars"- Janis Ian. Talk about a super underappreciated singer- Janis Ian takes the cake on that one. This title track to her 1974 album propelled her into back into the mainstream with her #1 album Between The Lines which came out the following year briefly putting Ian back in the spotlight. This epic piece shows Ian's guitar skills and soulful yet edgy voice. I hate that I missed her when came to Jackson recently. I bet she is absolutely amazing live. Stars went on to peak #83 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8LwUBNdXc

"Isn't It Always Love?"- Karla Bonoff. Like Janis Ian, Karla Bonoff was another super underappreciated singer from the same era. This former Linda Ronstadt backup singer included this track on her 1977 debut album. This album went on to peak at #52 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Surprisingly enough, for some reason, this album isn't available on iTunes, while all of her other music is. That sucks because this is a super catchy song. I love when an artist can make a super sad song sound so happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHbyP7dHv8

"Like A Star"- Corinne Bailey Rae. Corinne Bailey Rae is the ultimate British soul diva. This debut single from her 2006 self-titled debut album was nominated for the Song Of The Year Grammy. It also peaked at #56 on the Billboard Hot 100. She gives a great live version of the song here and even mentions in the intro that it was the first song she ever performed on TV when she performed it on "Later With Jools Holland". I don't think there's a better singer in music that can literally relax me more with her voice than this woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htmE_cSDtwM

"And I Am Telling You"- Jennifer Hudson. This song famously won Jennifer Hudson the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 2006 Academy Awards for her memorable performance in "Dreamgirls". She performs the signature song of her famous role here live on "Good Morning America". Every time I hear this song I still don't know how she she can belt like that. This has got to be one of the hardest songs to sing in the history of Broadway or Hollywood. Her version from 2006 peaked at #60 on the Billboard Hot 100 in support of the movie. This performance was also before her famous weight loss which led to her being named the new spokesperson for Weight Watchers.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJNijQzv8Cs

BONUS VIDEOS- "You and I"- Ingrid Michaelson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zub7nUGFWn0

"Put Your Records On"- Corinne Bailey Rae.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWQl00LWEwE

"I Wonder"- Kellie Pickler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9mvkxE5Ww

"You Mean The World To Me"- Toni Braxton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5FxcI7Pyw


Ingrid Michaelson

Corinne Bailey Rae

Kellie Pickler

Toni Braxton

1 Comments:

Blogger ALLYSHA said...

Ok. So I love this list. I just spent like ten bucks on Itunes. See what you've done? I hope you're proud of yourself, Mr. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten some of these songs! Lisa Loeb?! I used to adore that song!! Granted, I was ten when it came out, so I'm willing to forgive myself. She reminds me of my favorite one hit wonder, Jennifer Paige. I hope she appears on one of the other two lists. Ingrid Michaelson. Whoa Nelly. What a voice. I have heard that song and loved it from the first bars, but had no idea who sang it. Now I know it and own it. And Karla Bonoff reminds me of Laura Branigan, she had a hit called "Gloria" that is worthy of mention and I feel inclusion. Most def.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons