Sunday, December 02, 2012

Late Night Music Part 151......."British Soul"


We often tend to think of R & B music as an American genre, and to an extent we are correct, but the presence of soul music in the United Kingdom is undeniable. Unfortunately, most of you will never hear any of these artists, and you're missing out on some great music! Tonight's list hopefully puts a small bug in some ears for these immensely talented artists from across the pond.

Obviously, to receive votes in this category, the artist or band had to be British in the soul genre. All songs receiving votes were included in this category.

"Domino"- Jessie J. Starlet Jessie J took the world by storm with her debut album Who You Are in 2011. This third single proved to be her biggest hit on the album topping out at #1 on the British Singles Chart and #6 on the Billboard Hot 100. According to Jessie J, this sogn was heavily influenced by Prince and Whitney Houston, two of her biggest musical influences growing up. I have to admit that I also like most music critics originally thought this song was Katy Perry, and the resemblance is near uncanny, but watching this video its obvious that Jessie J has a great style all her own. The success of this song included with a memorable performance at the 2011 VMAs helped the album peak at #11 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtB55MaoD0

"Tears Dry On Their Own"- Amy Winehouse. I have to admit I was never a huge fan of Amy Winehouse, and actually grew tired of her overplayed songs early in her career. However, this single from her 2007 album Back To Black was always a song of hers I really enjoyed. This song was written by Winehouse, but contains a sample of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell in the background. Maybe that's why this song is so awesome. This song peaked at #16 on the British Singles Chart and produced this pretty entertaining video despite Winehouse's ridiculous as always hair. I bet she spent more time doing that hair than I spend at work in a day. Looks absolutely ridiculous. That being said, Amy Winehouse definitely had talent despite her well publicized issues. I would like to think that more songs like this would have come out if she would have stayed off the drugs. Another talent wasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdbDYahiCQ

"Proud"- Heather Small. This title track from London songstress Heather Small's 2000 album was re-released in 2005 with this video here as the official theme song for the bid for the London 2012 Summer Olympics bid committee. I guess it had the magic touch huh? The song was also re-released again a year later when it was included on the soundtrack for "The Biggest Loser". Small has performed the song for several other events in the UK, making this a favorite for national events in the country. The original version peaked at #16 on the British Singles Chart with this version peaking at #33 5 years later. Heather Small defiinitely has a distinctive voice- kinda reminds me of Heather Headley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoxGJ79PMs

"Turning Tables"- Adele. It was hard to pick which song to include from Adele, but I chose one that has flown kinda under the radar. I can't believe that this song off of her critically acclaimed mega album 21 wasn't more popular like other songs from the album. This gem peaked at #62 on the British Singles Chart and #63 on the Billboard Hot 100. How that happened I'll never understand. The video here is a breathtaking performance from Royal Albert Hall. I love how Adele can have on a plain black dress with just a microphone and be more entertaining and elegant than most of the crap we have on American radio now. Just goes to show you how far talent can really take you. 21 would go on to win the Grammy for Best Album as well as go to #1 in basically every country that has an albums chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFCO8-oCEQ

"Justify Me"- Nate James.If you ever wanna hear this song, come in Pan Asia, as it's on rotation on a near nightly basis. This awesome ballad from his debut 2005 album Set The Tone failed to make much of a splash on the charts, but the album peaked at #11 on the British R & B Albums Charts. This video is an interesting look for Nate, as he usually has the Maxwell fro going on. Maybe it would have worked here in this video. I could listen to this song literally all day but I have to admit, the video is hard to watch just because of that lip ring he's rocking on his bottom lip. How does that not hurt like heck while you're singing? By the way, I'm always a big fan of random people walking up and singing backup in your video coming literally from nowhere- so cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTMp8_3i0BY

"Blood Like Lemonade"- Morcheeba. This is one group in Great Britain that never gets enough love! This title track from their latest album is written as an ode to vampire hunting. I wish more R & B groups would write songs this creative with lyrics. Not saying that soul music isn't creative enough, but this song's lyrical depth literally blows my mind! This album and video marks the return of former lead singer Skye Edwards who had left the band originally in 2003. In a pretty hilarious twist, the band name Morcheeba literally means "the way of cannabis". You can't make stuff like that up. I really hope Morcheeba regains the popularity they had in the early part of the 2000's as one of the UK's premiere soul groups. Always been a favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyRxTTegjXM

"Down"- Jay Sean. I really love this song, but I have to admit I wish Jay Sean was on a different label. It's unbelievable how much I can't stand Lil' Wayne. SO overrated! That being said, this song is super catchy and is one that you find yourself listening to over and over sometimes. Despite the presence of the annoying one LW, this song from his 2009 album All Or Nothing peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 on the British Singles Chart. Jay Sean is one of those guys that is so cool you just want to punch him. Why can't I have that kind of swag?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbpGmR1-QM

"I Will Be"- Leona Lewis. Talk about another one hard to find from one artist! Ever since her win on the UK's version of "The X Factor" Leona Lewis has been a true superstar in every since of the word. Seen here is a great performance from "The Late Show with David Letterman" promoting this song from her debut album Spirit. This song was actually a cover originally recorded by Avril Lavigne. Seems to be something Leona Lewis is good at. Despite the promoting and a music video featuring "Gossip Girl" star Chace Crawford, this song peaked at only #66 on the Billboard Hot 100 and only #160 on the British Single Chart. No matter where she is, Leona Lewis just always looked poised and passionate about her song. I absolutely love hearing her sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAicQc_Is4g

"Shine"- Laura Izibor. Okay I cheated a little bit on this one since Laura Izibor is Irish, but most of you don't know the difference anyway, so why not? This awesome song from Laura Izibor's 2009 debut album Let The Truth Be Told peaked at #2 in Japan, where it saw its most success. This video is super clever with the changing of eras done so well. Izibor said that this album was heavily influenced by James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and those elements are pretty evident here. While this album was a huge hit in her native Ireland, it actually peaked at #27 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Laura Izibor seems to be like an artist I'd love to see live. Also, some of you might recognize Izibor from her role as Erin Macree on "One Tree Hill".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equvoqUT1VM

"American Boy"- Estelle featuring Kanye West. I really wish this song wasn't so awesome because it is unbelievable how much I hate Kanye, but even he couldn't ruin this great track by Estelle. This song from Estelle's album Shine got Estelle three Grammy nominations including Song Of The Year. The duo took home the Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. This single went to #1 on the British Singles Chart and #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. Estelle has a very distinctive voice and this is yet another song that stays stuck in your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

"Mercy"- Duffy. You know you thought this song was Amy Winehouse too. I know I did. This single from Duffy's 2008 debut album Rockferry shot to #1 in the UK and peaked at #27 on the Billboard Hot 100. Duffy said that she loves this song so much that sings it several times a day and that it's "like having sex every time". I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is the only time an artist has ever described a song that way. I do think it's kinda cool though that an artist would refer to their own music that way. Watching this video, you'd think that it was the soundtrack of a British movie. Just seems that way to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZEVA5dy-Y

"Picking Up The Pieces"- Paloma Faith. This lead single from Paloma Faith's second album Fall To Grace was, according to Faith, "written with pain and agony". I'd tend to agree listening to this song. Watching this video I'm kinda reminded of Madonna- see what I mean? Also some elements of Amy Winehouse in there. Is this the one who will carry on her legacy? This single wound up being Paloma Faith's first Top 10 single peaking at #7 on the British Singles Chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijel4Vcqd9g

"Dynamite"- Taio Cruz. Ok I admit I'm pushing it on this one, but it's super cool! This single from Taio Cruz's 2010 album Rokkstar shot to #1 in the UK and #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. I realize that there is nothing special about this song, but how can you not love it? Even as bad of a dancer as I am, this song makes me want to do nothing but dance, and I know none of you want to see that! I'll just leave it to your imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vysgv7qVYTo

"Breathe Easy"- Blue. British boy band Blue never had an American presence and I kinda wish they would have. Talk about a talented group! Way better than One Direction! This song from their 2004 album Guilty went to #4 on the British Singles Chart, and #1 in Italy, where the band was wildly popular. The only problem with boy bands is that they don't have longevity because you always grow out of that persona. Blue has recently gotten back together, and I hope they are successful, but I don't see them recapturing their magic they had with songs like this. Watching this video reminded me though of getting on the bus from the left side while I was in the UK. That still blows my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jo7jG--IwU

"Stronger"- Sugababes. Wrap up Madonna, Lil' Kim, The Pussycat Dolls, and Salt n Peppa, and you'll get Sugababes. This second incarnation of the band seen here in 2002 from their album Angels With Dirty Faces. These self-professed dirty angels peaked at #7 on the British Singles Chart with this hit in 2002. I never understood why Sugababes never made a splash in the United States as much as this country loves sex driven music and videos. This song and video is no exception. Sugababes has had more lineup changes than just about any band I've ever heard of, with only Heidi Range (the blonde) still a member of the band today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7iZ-cxyA0

"Neva Soft"- Ms Dynamite. I was kinda unsure about including this one, but this is song is really unique. I have to say I don't think I've ever heard a song like this before. This standalone 2011 single peaked at #32 on the British Singles Chart. Ms Dynamite is a Jamaican-Brit who really incorporates reggae into her music even with a little techno going on. What a great combination!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrZ5k6bwC4

"Black Coffee"- All Saints. This very interesting song from All Saints second album Saints and Sinners shot to #1 on the British Singles Chart where it would be their final time in that spot. All Saints had more talent, but they still really remind of the Spice Girls. Shaznay Lewis definitely brought some soul to the bunch with her impressive lead vocals on this song. All Saints should have smiled more though- they always look so mysterious and mean in their videos. This video really makes me think I'm watching an M. Night Shymalan movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2WP1yNypHo

"I Am What I Am"- Beverley Knight. Where in the world have I been? This woman blew my socks off with this unreal performance from the opening ceremonies from the 2012 Paralympics in London. The British Whitney Houston as she's called, absolutely takes this stage by storm here. I don't know even know how to describe the awesomeness of this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBouzggqaKk

"It's Not That Easy"- Lemar. Lemar strikes me as another guy who could do really well with an American presence. This song just drips with Musiq Soulchild, John Legend, and Anthony Hamilton rolled into one! This lead single from his 2006 album The Truth About Love peaked at #7 on the British Singles Chart. Interestingly, Lemar rose to fame after finishing third on the British talent show "Fame Academy". He's another artist I really think I'd enjoy in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cNxPgqWGrw

"Superstar"- Jamelia. Can someone please tell me how she's dancing in those stilettos? This single from Jamelia's 2003 album Thank You proved to be her biggest single to date peaking at #3 on the British Singles Chart. Why was this song not released in the United States? Everything about this song and video just screams American- even with the Yankees hat. I love this woman's voice! For some reason though, this video is reminding of that Hey Monday video "Don't Want To Dance". Just feels like she's jumping at me through the screen like Cassadee Pope did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQ_PnRPOXw

"What Did I Do?"- Sophie Delila. I swear I can never get enough of this song! I know she's French, but since she's based in London I'm counting it! I'm so honored to have Sophie Delila as a twitter follower, as I'm looking forward to seeing this song become even more popular and see her career blossom into even more of a great one! This is an unbelievable performance of her latest single now available on iTunes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_vdcYDTN4

BONUS VIDEOS- "Endless Love"- Lionel Richie and Beverly Knight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eceIzgwqAk

"Thank You"- Estelle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUuEYM9vjlw

"The Message"- Nate James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7Jo9Fh4ic

"Rome Wasn't Built A Day"- Morcheeba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmognvrztU

Adele

Nate James

Beverly Knight

Estelle

Laura Izibor

Morcheeba

Sophie Delila

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons