Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Late Night Music Viking Classic Edition Part 106....."Go Back, Go Back To The Woods"

My coach always said that we always have to "go forward" and can't ever go back because "time don't wait on no one". Well tonight, I'm gonna break the laws of physics and celebrate the music that lets us go BACK, yet still go forward. Did that even make sense? Wow, I'm really tired.

In order to be considered for this list, the song title had to include the word "BACK". Also receiving votes in this category were "Back To Life" by Soul II Soul, "Going Back" by Phil Collins, "Love Will Lead You Back" by Taylor Dane, "I Can't Love You Back" by Easton Corbin and "Finding My Way Back" by Jaheim . NOT RECEIVING VOTES was "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" by Celine Dion- do I have to explain why?

"Back To You"- John Mayer. For some reason, I decided to start with this song just because I've had it stuck in my head all day. This song was originally included on John Mayer's 2001 debut album "Room For Squares", and like most John Mayer songs that was really awesome, it was never released as a single. Despite that, the song has always been a crowd favorite, as evidenced here in this performance from his "Any Given Thursday" live album from 2003. I freaking LOOOOOOVE this song, but I really wish I could watch John Mayer perform when he doesn't look like he's having an epileptic seizure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0AAFH14t8

"Get Back"- The Beatles. Most people don't know that when the Beatles recorded this song and the songs to go along with it in early 1969, that the album was actually going to be titled "Get Back". It wasn't until the remastering and added orchestration of the album that it was eventually called "Let It Be", which would be the last Beatles studio album (even though it wasn't the last one they recorded). The idea of the album was for the Beatles to get back to ensemble band playing as a group to rekindle their old sound as well as build band unity. This idea, however, backfired and as seen in the documentary film of the same name, this only led to more problems as the band at times would refuse to even play together (which was how the majority of the White Album was recorded). However, in the closing scene of the film, the Beatles played their first "concert" in nearly 3 years with this famous performance atop the roof of Apple Studios in downtown London. This famous take was actually included on the "Anthology 3" album. Bonus points for Billy Preston on the keyboard. Oh yeah, this song went to #1....but you already knew that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G7MkBMVxE

"Right Back To Where We Started From"- Maxine Nightingale. I have to admit that I probably never would have even heard of this song if it wasn't for "The Art Bell Show" (which is now "Coast to Coast AM") during my sleepless weekend nights in high school/college, as it was a favorite of Art Bell, the eccentric and creative host of the very strange show. This song was also included in the hilarious "Starsky and Hutch" with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in the famous disco scene. This song was a worldwide disco hit in on her album of the same name for our British friend who really needs to eat something (great job choosing a shirt that didn't make her look so anorexic. This song peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0upKxdvLs

"Get Back"- Ludacris. Ludacris hit it hard in late 2004 with this lead single from his follow up album to "Chicken-n-Beer", "Red Light District". This song hit #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and help the album reach the top of the charts a few weeks later. Bonus points for Luda's fake muscles and choking the annoying guy- I really wanted to do the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yt849wJyVk

"Back Where I Come From"- Kenny Chesney. Bonus points for Kenny giving a shout out to Mississippi's Mac McAnally on this song! This famous concert in Neyland Stadium really shows what a great performer Kenny Chesney is. This song was included on Chesney's second studio album "Me and You", but was never released as a single for Chesney, but was a minor hit for McAnally in 1990. However, you can see from this performance that it's still quite possibly Chesney's most popular song. Bonus points for bringing Peyton Manning on stage at his college stadium, but I'm taking them away because Peyton can't take his hands off his hips. I think he's a funny guy, but our boy really needs some help when it comes to stage presence. But since this song is so cool, I'm gonna give it 5 more bonus points- one for every foot Chesney is shorter than Peyton Manning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQOcRNFod0

"Back To You"- Naya Marie. I'm so glad I get to put Naya Marie back on here! Bonus points immediately for the 5 dancers and for the cool costume changes. I think it's so cool how the dancing stays perfect when the clothes change. I also like how Naya didn't keep the focus on her and featured each dancer in their own short segment- super cool. I also like how Naya called it "80's pop done my way" because I have to admit I thought I was listening to a song that is Debbie Gibson meets Tiffany, but I thought about that's ALMOST an insult. All of you can say whatever you want, but I seriously think Naya Marie is a better singer than most female pop singers that are out there today. Check out her channel on youtube, and tell me if you can actually say something different. To check out more Naya Marie check out her websites www.nayamarie.blogspot.com or www.myspace.com/nayamariemusic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1n6W3G9PI

"Won't Back Down"- Tom Petty. I'm almost pissed off at whoever uploaded this song on YouTube by saying this is "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers" when it is NOT. This song was on Tom Petty's "solo" album debut "Full Moon Fever" in 1989, but like I said last time, I almost wanna call this a Beatles song just because 2 Beatles play on the track. That alone puts it on this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA

"Come Back Song"- Darius Rucker. I still can't get over how smoothly he made this transition. This lead single from his latest album "Charleston, SC 1966" gives me a few shades of Hootie (do I smell a reunion?). This song was a #1 country hit and peaked at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100. I love how Darius Rucker is so in love with his hometown and it really shows in this video. Bonus points for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7HzFlOXq4

"Back For Good"- Take That. When these guys popped up in 1995 in the United States, we saw immediately why they were famous over there and not here. These guys despite having Robbie Williams are the most unrealistic looking boy band ever, and that's some strong words right there. However, if you see the cover to this album "Nobody Else" I kinda think N'Sync might have stolen a concept......just saying. Surprisingly, this song peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remains Take That's only real big dent in American music as a group. I can't believe these guys actually wonder why they are so big in the UK, but not here, hmmmmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ICtCO8TCw

"I'm Back"- T.I. This promotional single for T.I. from his album "No Mercy" peaked out at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100. Does that really mean he was back? I think T.I. should have released this one BEFORE he went to prison. His status he has now as America's favorite inmate would have sold this song itself. I'd be willing to bet anything that if he released this around his prison release date it goes to #1- think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8z_5ZtPzWI

"To The Moon And Back"- Savage Garden. Good lord I hate Savage Garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCm6gRHINqA

"Back Down South"- Kings Of Leon. This song is the latest single from King of Leon's album "Come Around Sundown" and was released in May of this year. I think Kings of Leon will always be a rock band, but this song shows their Nashville roots with a surprisingly really cool country sound. I think it's so funny how Kings Of Leon just looks like they don't care when they play, but still sound cool. That's pretty freaking hard to pull off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOuqyqmtJk

"Back Here"- BBMak. I should stop this blog immediately just because I now have two British boy bands on it. Help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95MMbls0GQ

"Come Back To Me"- Vanessa Hudgens. Despite my reputation probably dropping after including this song, I have to admit that this song sounds pretty good. Vanessa Hudgens did a pretty good job of riding her "High School Musical" fame with her debut album "V" on which this single was included. It wound up peaking at just #55 on the Billboard Hot 100, but was actually very well received by music critics. Bonus points for the sample of "Baby Come Back" by Player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJ5u2AJHyw

"Baby, Come Back"- Player. Speaking of the Devil! This song from Player's self titled 1977 album became their only #1 hit and really their only 15 minutes of fame. Unfortunately for Player, they were a good band, but I'm gonna have to say that Pablo Cruise sounds better than them. I also think lead singer Pete Beckett looks just a little bit too much like Luke Skywalker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpAa5MOzMU

"Back At One"- Brian McKnight. I had to include this live performance instead of the video version just because I am still in shock at how bad this video really is. First of all, even if you're as cool as Brian McKnight you can't pull off brown leather pants. Also, you can't tell me that everyone in the audience just wanted to sign the numbers along with him. Talk about STUPID! I can't believe someone would choreograph that! Wow! I never thought I'd ever say anything bad about a Brian McKnight song because let's face it, the guy has one of the best voices in recent memory, but his corny factor went through the roof on this video. I'll put him up there with Lionel Richie now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXPfovXw2tw

"Lean Back"- Terror Squad featuring Fat Joe and Remy. This song somehow hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004. Oh how I wish I could find the clip of Bruce Willis doing this dance at the 2004 VMAs. Quite possibly set white people back 20000 years with dancing like that. I've watched this video several times just for inspiration. If Fat Joe can get women like that, I should be able to too, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmI1P3r1w4

"If I Could Turn Back The Hands of Time"- R Kelly. Bonus points for the backwards video. It's almost like time travel and I freaking love it. I love how R Kelly released this song to be a single from "R" when it was nothing like the actual album. It's hilarious when artists do that. People who bought the album were probably like "dang I didn't know this album was only about having crazy sex". Duh, that's because it's an R Kelly album. Take away 3 songs on the album and you have a modern day Trey Songz album. I always get mad at R Kelly's characters in his videos- who would actually leave a woman that fine at home alone? I guess she was too old for our good friend Rob Kelly. Anyway, this song jumped up to #12 on the Billboad Hot 100, and I'm sure it made "R" jump into the pockets of several confused music listeners in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOPVCK745I

"Come Back To Me"- Utada. Utada is yet another foreign artist who has begun releasing tracks in English in order to gain a fanbase in the United States. This single is from Utada's second English album "This Is The One". I also love how she is so soulful. I think it's unfair how some people think Asians can't be soulful, especially ones who aren't even American. I'm also pretty impressed with the dialect being nearly flawless. How often to singers who may not have English as a first language struggle with pronunctiation? Utada was actually born in New York, but you can't tell me that American born second generation Japanese always speak/sing English this well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKPA8L5ZpqU

"Baby Got Back"- Sir Mix-A-Lot. You knew it was coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY84MRnxVzo

BONUS VIDEOS- "Material Girl"- Naya Marie. ANOTHER awesome acapella video from Naya Marie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGT2TkZNG0

"Hold My Hand"- Hootie and The Blowfish. We can all wish right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw

Naya Marie

Luuuuuuuuke I am your father

Even a guy this cool can't pull off leather pants

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons