Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Late Night Music Holidays/Flu Edition Part 182......"I Just Wanna Fly"

Since I've been sick with the flu that last few days, I figured now was as good a time as any to add to my ever growing list of musical lore. I'll try to get one more in before the holidays are over......maybe.

In order to receive votes in this category, the song title had to feature the word "Fly" in it in some form (all parts of speech were accepted). Also receiving votes in this category were "The Boy Who Could Fly" by Pierce the Veil, "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz, and "Learn to Fly" by Pink Floyd.

"I Believe I Can Fly"- R Kelly. In 1996, this R Kelly classic accompanied the Michael Jordan/Warner Brothers animated hit "Space Jam" which saw this big budget Hype Williams video give Kelly the biggest hit of his career. Interestingly enough, this song only peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 because it could never unseat "Un-Break My Heart" by Toni Braxton from the top spot. Anyway, apparently during this point of his career, R Kellly was going through a wholesome phase which he wants to believe after he releases song like "Trapped In The Closet", "Feeling On Your Booty", and my personal favorite, "Sex Weed". I'm all for artistic expression, but if this guy would ever make his mind up on an identity, it will be much easier.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

"Fly"- Sugar Ray. Just a year later, Sugar Ray was making their first ever splash on mainstream radio when this hit from their sophomore album Floored took the USA by storm. In a very interesting twist, this song peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, but was not eligible for the main chart because it was not released as a single officially in the United States. This popular version with reggae artist Super Cat made Mark McGrath a household name and gave Sugar Ray a few years of mainstream exposure before they literally flew away. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtnwcv-quE

"Fly Away From Here"- Aerosmith. This has always been one of my all time favorite Aerosmith head scratchers. I know what you're saying, yes I realize Aerosmith had eleventy billion power ballads in the 90's, but this song from 2001's Just Push Play I always thought was one of their cooler videos and definitely a good song. This single couldn't follow up the success they saw with that year's previous release "Jaded", as this song didn't even crack the top 100 of the Billboard Hot 100, but for some odd reason, went to #1 in Israel. I think they were trying to tell us something. I've always wondered if artists get pissed when a ton of money (obviously) is spent for a single that fails to make a big splash......hold that thought.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xzDj-XOX2U

"Stay Fly"- 3 6 Mafia featuring Young Buck, 8 Ball, and MJG. Just a random thought before I go on. Why is it that nearly every rap track has to feature 3-5000 guest artists? I guess its a street cred thing for the hip hop industry. Anyway, most people know the story of how I met once met these guys who have been making the city of Memphis proud since 1991. This single from their 2005 album Most Known Unknown peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 and gave 3 6 even more of a mainstream following despite an already strong following in the southern United States especially in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Here's your head scratcher of the night. These guys have an Academy Award.....just let that sink in. Oh yeah, and I'm go ahead and say that this is the world's most edited video ever. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjzAdpZzf0

"Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)"- The Offspring. Love this song and album! This 1998 hilarious song from The Offspring's album Americana gave me my personal theme song with this ode to white guys embracing hip hop. This wildly entertaining video gave The Offspring huge rotation on MTV and VH1, and they saw this song peak at #53 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the only single on a great album (which peaked at #2 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart) to reach the Billboard Hot 100. The Offspring has always been one of those bands you can't take seriously. You look at them and you can't help but laugh. It's great to see a band that really has fun doing what they do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzY2Qcu5i2A

"Learn To Fly"- Foo Fighters. The Foo Fighters kept up the streak of making hilarious videos when this lead single from 1999's There Is Nothing Left To Lose hit the airwaves that fall. This single was also the first by the band to reach the Billboard Hot 100 when it peaked at #19 that same year. An obvious spoof of the 1975 cult classic movie "Airplane", this video was so well done that it won the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video. The sad part is, you can make that case for several Foo videos. Again, hold that thought. Also, I know I've said a million times, but you can't tell me that Taylor Hawkins doesn't look like Edge's twin! Rated R Superstar in the house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0

"Learning to Fly"- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. In 1991, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were reunited after a brief hiatus for Petty to record with the Traveling Wilburys and recording a solo album Full Moon Fever. The first single they released on their 1991 comeback album Into The Great Wide Open was this one which also peaked at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. This song was sited by music critics as being a genius composition by Petty due to him making the song sound "unique" despite only using four chords the entire song. I love listening to Tom Petty, but he always looks like he needs a sandwich or something. Let me go get him one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BJXwNeKsQ

"Fly With Me"- The Jonas Brothers. Whatever. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-KTpvCPXo

"Last Dollar (Fly Away)"- Tim McGraw. This 2007 comeback by Tim McGraw took the world by storm when it was included on his album Let It Go and peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 while topping the Billboard Country Chart. Written by Big Kenny from Big and Rich (I so see that now that I know that), this song is the stereotypical "rags to riches" country songs, but its so dang catchy I can't help myself but love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZ97ajpYOM

"I Wish I Could Fly"- Roxette. This Swedish duo made a slight comeback of sorts in Europe after a long career in the 80's/90's had seemingly come to an end. This single from their 1999 album Have A Nice Day peaked at #4 in Sweden and #11 on the British Singles Chart and received modest American airplay despite the album not being distributed in the United States. Roxette is one of the forgotten European groups that kind of got lost in the shuffle of ABBA, Ah-Ha, and others from the second European invasion of the 80's. This song and album wound up briefly kickstarting Roxette's career for a few more years. They are still one of the biggest acts in Sweden. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBswiNn23RU

"Flying Without Wings"- Ruben Studdard. You guys know how much I LOATHE "American Idol", but I have to admit, I always had a soft spot for Ruben. He seems like a genuinely good guy (despite this not always being the case.....look it up on your own). This cover of the Westlife hit in 2002 became his breakout single after winning the 2003 competition and this version peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100, easily his biggest hit of his career. This Birmingham, Alabama fan favorite showed his lovability with this video, and I seriously hate that his career didn't take off more (like that never happens with "American Idol" winners- tell me I'm wrong), but hopefully we'll see something soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oheEvnxkO5M

"Fly To The Angels"- Slaughter. This power ballad from Slaughter's 1990 debut album Stick It To Ya peaked at #19 on the Billboard Hot 100 and helped start phasing in the end, to Slaughter's misfortune, of the hair band era, which would soon die out just a couple of years later, which would only create one more successful Slaughter album with 1992's The Wild Life. At least we got something hilarious to laugh at with this gem of comedy provided by the bad boys from Las Vegas.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmobha2krY

"Still Fly"- Big Tymers. You can call me stupid if you want, but this single from the Big Tymer's 2002 album Hood Rich at least to me, is one of the best rap records ever recorded. I have no idea why I like this song so much, and the more I listen to it, the more it really makes me wonder despite it being super catchy. This single peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100, which was easily the Big Tymers biggest hit in their brief careers in the shadows of label mate Juvenile. This is quite possibly the the only song in the history of the world which features a "scurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt" sound in it. Just saying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

BONUS VIDEOS- "I Won't Back Down"- Tom Petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA

"Big Me"- Foo Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdJQFTnZfA

"Sex Weed"- R. Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N62gpgHkH6c

"Every Morning"- Sugar Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cqU1pFRqYE

"The Color of Love"- Boyz II Men. See what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_kFB9_v-E





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons