Friday, June 06, 2014

Late Night Music NBA Finals Edition Part 177........"Girl Power Part 3"

How about the irony here? It's almost Father's Day and I write a list featuring all females- we all know who calls the shots right?

Only female/girl groups who were NOT on the previous "Girl Power" lists were considered for this list.

"Ain't Nobody"- Rufus and Chaka Khan. I have to admit, it was this song getting stuck in my head that led me to make this list. Sad or not, this song was a classic. Included on the band's penultimate 1983 live album Stompin' At The Savoy, this single went to #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remains a staple at Khan's shows today and still receives decent radio play. Just to show you how much i DID NOT know about this one, I had no idea that Chaka Khan was the lead singer of this band before she began her solo career. Talk about the band not getting ANY love! I even think someone on the radio recently said "by Chaka Khan". That being said, this song was a 1980's soul classic and is a song that even I wouldn't mind dancing too. Okay maybe I lied about that part. Random observation though- I don't know whether it was natural or not, but Chaka Khan has/had some amazing hair. It really adds to her persona. Maybe it's just me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycnuyo3MLbw

"In New Orleans"- Tonya Boyd Cannon. If you don't know already know about Tonya Boyd Cannon, you need to now! This great live stripped down version from New Orleans "Balcony TV" youtube channel features Cannon in top form doing a song from her new album Then and Now. I have had the unreal privilege to see her live and interview her personally for an upcoming Jackson Free Press story in support of her new album. This take of this song is spectacular but it can't capture the interaction that she has with her crowds that I have yet to see matched in all the artists I've seen all over the country. You could see Tonya Boyd Cannon live and find yourself on stage singing a duet before you know it! Her sultry soul sound just makes you stop and listen even as you're writing about her (guilty). For more on Tonya Boyd Cannon, check out her website www.tonyaboydcannon.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358vpLOsSj8

"Stop/One on One"- April Rucker. Here's another singer I've had the chance to see perform live before, except she was singing backup for my guy Damien Horne that night. Little did I know I was looking at a diva in the making. This unreal live medley is a couple of songs on her debut album Here I Stand (which is available on iTunes). Her soulful sound and attitude makes her definitely worth watching. I also have always had a thing for the blonde hair too. The way Rucker commands this stage in this video is something that true divas are made of. Her angelic voice and sexy attitude is gonna push her over the top soon. I'll be in Nashville next weekend- I hope she's playing! For more on April Rucker check out her website at www.aruckusmusic.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfWduWxEnCM

"Colorblind"- Amber Riley. OMG! Amber Riley brought her character to life on this recent performance from "Glee" with a rare time that an actual artist performed their own song on "Glee". Riley's character Mercedes Jones is singing to her on and off love interest Sam played by Chord Overstreet. This single by Riley will be included on her upcoming album to be released later this year. I love all the singers on "Glee", but I've always been kinda partial to Riley just because I'm such a huge fan of soul music and her character being such an underdog. This clip from the performance's premiere on "Glee" just shows the raw emotion that Riley pours into every aspect of this song from a real life and character standpoint. We all know that next season is "Glee"s final, but I think it's just the tip of the iceberg for Amber Riley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYMAUhtlEA

"Steady My Heart"- Kari Jobe. Here is yet another artist that I had the privilege to interview when I got to interview her earlier this year for her concert in Jackson that I had to miss because I was going out of town the next day :(. This single from Jobe's Grammy nominated album Where I Find You helped the album peak at #10 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart and #1 on the Billboard Christian Albums Chart. Her angelic voice and amazing writing are not only evident in this song, but all over the album from start to finish. This song is a just a short example of why she's the top female artist in the Christian music world today. I also really appreciate her compliments she gave my amateur journalism skills. I'll never forget that one :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ip40j82ws

"Wide Awake"- Katy Perry. The guilty pleasure of all guilty pleasures is right here in Katy Perry. This 2012 single from the re-release Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection shot to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and established Katy Perry as a more diverse artist than most people thought. The song made headlines by having an overtly Christian reference to "Daniel in the Lion's Den", but still gathering positive reviews for Perry's intimate songwriting. I know a lot of people like to make fun of Katy Perry because she is a little bit weird, but there is no doubting her talent. Also, this is a great look for her in the opening intro to the song in this video at around the :45 mark. Blue looks great on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0BWlvnBmIE

"Run Away"- Georgia Anne Muldrow. Here's a true soul artist who seriously doesn't get enough press! This song from Georgia Anne Muldrow's 2009 album Early really rocks and soothes at the same time! This is Jill Scott and Angie Stone rolled into one! More on here in a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RBjMrRXTxI

"Overcomer"- Mandisa. Does Mandisa know how to have a song that isn't super inspirational? If there is one artist I'd die to meet, Mandisa would have to be at the top of that list just because of her sweet spirit and constant encouragement. This inspirational video which features Robin Roberts, Scott Hamilton, and Gabrielle Giffords has become an anthem for cancer and accident survivors all over the world. This title track to her 2013 album peaked at #1 on the Billboard Christian Singles Chart and got a world premiere on "Good Morning America". This track would win the Grammy for Best Gospel Song and was also nominated for Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Performance. Mandisa is living proof of how you can live your life to be inspirational despite great obstacles. I am seriously in awe of her legacy she's making for herself!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VoUYtx0kw

"No More Rain (In This Cloud)"- Angie Stone. Man what a great track! I played this song to DEATH in college! This debut solo single from Angie Stone's 1999 critically acclaimed solo debut Black Diamond peaked at #56 on the Billboard Hot 100 but established Stone as a solo artist who was here to stay. After being a part of the rap group The Sequence 20 years before, the neo soul act was a new genre for her that she seemed to fit perfect. This song accompanied on many MC campus walks and study nights. Also, Angie Stone had the natural look before it was the trend in the black female community 15 years later. I've always said Angie Stone is way more diverse than most people think. Oh yeah, I smell a bonus video on that note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Zgp1WzwLk

"Dim All The Lights"- Donna Summer. Donna Summer, even at the end of her life, was one of the most beautiful female singers of all time. Even this clip, of when she was around 50-51 she was still quite ravishing. This remixed version of her 1979 classic from her smash album Bad Girls was a disco and soul classic that shot all the way to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. This version from her 1999 live album VH1 Live and More Encore begins with a tribute to Rod Stewart before showing that even 20 years later, she still had it. One thing about Donna Summer I always loved is in addition to being a great party and dance artist, she was extremely skilled musician that could have been an opera singer. I love seeing artists who are able to put on a great show late into their career, which she could obviously do. That's what separates the legends from the pretenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyAGSJSdOc

"It Ain't Just Music"- Joy Collins. Joy Collins is absolutely one of my best friends on the planet. I could not imagine my life without having her there for me for four years in Clarksville. She introduced me to music and musicians I never would have even thought about and help me learn things about myself that I never could have dreamed of. She also is a damn good karaoke duet partner. This song here says it all for her and what she always told me about following dreams. We had several conversations about our life's paths and decisions we should and shouldn't make, but she tells us all why she's doing what she's doing in this song that I had to listen to 3 times before I wrote this. This song is super simple, but at the same time shows the complex side that every artist wants us to see. To hear more of Joy, check out her website www.joycollinsmusic.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxP1esR_-TY

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot"- Pat Benatar. Why do I love this song so much? Ugh. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRgHol94Xc

"I Am What I Am"- Beverley Knight. Now here's one I don't mind saying I'm in love with. This unreal performance from British soul diva Beverley Knight at the 2012 London Paralympics steals the show on every level. She's also one of very few women who could pull off that dress! My question is why was this not televised? Also, why was this song not ever released as a single for Knight? That's a headscratcher. Anyway, for good reason, Beverley Knight is considered by many to be the British version Whitney Houston- just listen to this and tell me if you disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBouzggqaKk

"The Living Proof"- Mary J. Blige. This amazing closing credit song to the 2011 blockbuster movie "The Help" was an amazing and fitting in to a spectacular movie. The biggest travesty was that this song was not even nominated for an Academy Award for best Original Song (But it was nominated for a Golden Globe). You all know how much I love finding ways for Mary J Blige to be on my lists, but this one kinda speaks for itself. MJB said she wrote the song like she was watching movie, which gave her perspective to write the song, which she considered a great honor. By the way, if you haven't seen "The Help", you are seriously missing out, especially if you are from Mississippi- just make sure you have your tissue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwI4zsNteU8

"Silver Springs"- Fleetwood Mac. I kinda cheated on this one, but I let it in on a technicality. This Stevie Nicks written song for Lindsey Buckingham in 1976 was originally supposed to be on Rumours, but was left off the final cut and was simply left as a B-Side to their single "Go Your Own Way". It resurfaced 20 years later when it was included as a single with this memorable performance from their 1996 reunion/live album The Dance and gained a Grammy Nomination for Best Pop Performance By A Duo or Group. This memorable track peaked at #5 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart and gathered heavy video airplay just due to the obvious references to Lindsey Buckingham Stevie Nicks makes while singing the song looking him directly in the eyes towards the end of the song. I love to see artists lose themselves in the emotions that made them songwriters. Even on this slow ballad, it's pretty obvious that Fleetwood Mac had some of the best instrumentalists ever in Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud2XKt2N8fs

"Cowboy Take Me Away"- Dixie Chicks. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've ever featured the Dixie Chicks (at least I think so- man I've written a lot of lists!). Anyway, this single from their 1999 album Fly shot to #1 on the Country Chart and #27 on the Billboard Hot 100. The title of this song, according to the band, was based on a Calgon commercial they saw which said "Cowboy Take Me Away". Anyway, the blend these ladies had in their music was unreal, and this song gets me every time. Call me crazy, but I always thought Natalie Maines was one of the most unattractive female lead singers, while sisters Martie and Emily Erwin are gorgeous on another level. Who said the "other girl" never gets any love? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hntXAO_Rq7c

"See You Again"- Carrie Underwood. This amazing song dealing with the loss of a loved one was Carrie Underwood's last single released from her last album Blown Away in 2013. This song peaked at #34 on the Billboard Hot 100 and won the CMT Award for Video of the Year. From everything I can tell, Carrie Underwood really seems like a genuinely good person. It may just be a show, but her heartfelt lyrics and videos are very noticeable to me. Oh yeah, and the fact that she's freaking hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTnWFT3DvVA

"King of Sorrow"- Sade. The only thing I'm sorry about is that this list is coming to an end. This 2000 single from Sade's album Lover's Rock went to #59 on the British Singles Chart. This is a lost art of a video actually telling a believable story. Sade, I have to say, had a great concept for this video. Lead singer Sade Adu is another example of a woman who ages gracefully, as she is around 41 in this video. Ok, I'm done writing- can you believe that?

BONUS VIDEOS- "The Prayer"- Angie Stone and Josh Groban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohh4eIU09O8

"Love Me Still"- Chaka Khan and Bruce Hornsby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLO93x0SsG4

"Whenever I Say Your Name"- Mary J. Blige and Sting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roGSyZC79Dg

"Whenever I Call You Friend"- Stevie Nicks and Kenny Loggins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edHhe8HyekE

"What Makes You Beautiful"- One Direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E
April Rucker
April Rucker
Joy Collins
Joy Collins
Tonya Boyd-Cannon
Tonya Boyd-Cannon
Stevie Nicks
Stevie Nicks
Carrie Underwood
Carrie Underwood
Mary J. Blige
Mary J. Blige

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons