Saturday, November 02, 2013

Late Night Music NHL/NBA Season Opening Edition Part 167........"Our House Is A Very Very Very Fine House"

I realize my lists have become few and far between just due to my busy schedule, so I figured I would make sure I had a good one this time. I seriously thought of this one while I saw a construction site the other day.

In order to be considered in this category, the SONG TITLE had to have "home" or "house" in it. Not the band name. This disqualified House of Pain, or were they even considered in the first place? Also receiving votes in this category were "The Long Way Home" by Supertramp, "Heart Is a House For Love" by the Five Heartbeats (The only reason this song was left off is because there are no good videos of it! But at least a scene from the movie was still a bonus video!), and "Already Home" by Hanson.


"Our House"- Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. This crowd favorite from CSNY's 1970 album Deja Vu was written for Graham Nash's girlfriend Joni Mitchell reportedly just in 10 minutes while she was outside at Nash's house. The single peaked at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100, but remained one of the band's most requested songs just due to its much different tone from most of their songs. Written at a time not long after the band's performance at Woodstock and their message of peace and drugs for the hippies, this song took the music industry by surprise when it became some popular. This song has been covered by numerous bands (I smell a bonus video) and has been featured on plenty of cheesy commercials. Graham Nash always struck me as a very underrated songwriter/piano player, while Stephen Stills, while a great artist, always struck me as a very bad backup singer. Just watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymL6_e6hDgk

"Our House"- Madness. This has to be one of the worst one hit wonders ever. But in the 1980's, obviously talent went out the window. This single from the band's 1982 album The Rise and Fall somehow went to #7 and did a hilarious job of trying to depict a hardworking family in this unbelievably stupid video. In a ironic twist no one in the United States understood, the song was actually written by the band as a parody of the United Kingdom's real estate market crash of 1980. If anyone could figure that out by watching this video and not already knowing that I'll call you a liar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIe_sjKeAY

"Big House"- Audio Adreanaline. This surprisingly was Audio Adrenaline's best known song, but not even close to their best one. I had the opportunity to see this Christian band from Grayson, Kentucky live in 2000, and while this song made them popular at summer camps and youth retreats, it didn't even start to capture this band's real talent. This single from the band's 1994 album Don't Censor Me put them at #1 on the CCM singles chart and led the way to their 1996 follow up album Bloom being certified Gold in the US. The song became so popular that this video won the GMA Dove Award for video of the year, and CCM Magazine named the song the "song of the decade" for the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omoOLhDdTPA

"Home"- Phillip Phillips. I broke my rule of no "American Idol" winners. This coronation song of this Albany, Georgia native went to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and gained popularity from its use by NBC during its coverage of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games. Call me crazy, but when I hear this song, I always wanna think it's The Lumineers and not Phillip Phillips. Maybe it's just me pretending that I hate "American Idol" more than I actually do. Is that even possible? Anyway, I think Phillip Phillips is a perfect example of an undiscovered talent that shouldn't have needed that stupid show to become famous. Oh yeah, by the way, I smell a bonus video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRkntoHkIE

"In The House Of Stone And Light"- Martin Page. I seriously love to hate this song. I never understood why it was so popular in the first place. Page was probably best known before this unreal annoying song for being a co-writer of "We Built This City" by Starship with long time writing idol and Elton John lyricist Bernie Taupin. This title track from his 1994 album was played to death when I went to the United Kingdom in 1995 and for the life of me, I could never figure out why. The single somehow peaked at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and featured this unbelievably creepy video that borders on an acid trip gone wrong by a weird pedophile. I also swear up and down that at 2:51 of this video Page says "I will lop a poop in my eye". I remember Y101 actually having a commercial making fun of that very phrase when it first came out in 1996. Always cracked me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIa9UEXd98Q

"Home"- Gabrielle Aplin. Man I'm glad I got to feature Gabrielle Aplin! Talk about a seriously underrated artist! This single from the 21 year old's debut album English Rain peaked at #48 on the British Singles Chart. This song was also featured on the very popular British TV Show "Wentworth". Something about Gabrielle Aplin reminds me of a cross between Hayley Williams and Marie Digby. I think the fact that she looks so young really adds to her marketability. I wouldn't be surprised if her next album isn't a worldwide success just due to her experience as such a young artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVbdjec0pA

"House Of Gold"- Twenty One Pilots. This is one of those times that I am really glad I get to write this sometimes and get to discover new artists. This Columbus, Ohio duo recently released this video for the single off of their most recent album Vessel. The performance of this song on Conan marked their American television debut. Vessel peaked at #58 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. This is a band that I see really making some waves in the years to come. On the up and coming label Fueled by Ramen, Twenty One Pilots has a Mumford and Sons/Fun/Lumineers sound that is so popular right now. This video made me watch it twice- it was that interesting. I like the way this song just sort of ends out of nowhere. That means one of two things. They either did it on purpose to look smart, or they just didn't know how to end the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyxykpYeu8

"Home"- Michael Buble. Michael Buble took a break from the standards in 2005 and released this single from his sophomore album It's Time. This song peaked at #72 on the Billboard Hot 100, but hit #1 on the dreaded Adult Contemporary Chart making this song a guilty pleasure by default. The single saw great success in his native Canada where it won the Juno Award for Single Of The Year in 2006. Every time I look at Michael Buble I want to say it's a light skinned Ricky Martin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSOLBMUvIE

"Lego House"- Ed Sheeran. Here is one of the best singer/songwriters out today! I love this song! First of all, that's not Sheeran in the video, though he looks similar, it's actor Rupert Grint, the doppleganger of dopplegangers ginger from the Harry Potter movies. Now, we've got that out of the way. Sheeran is an unreal guitar player and his catchy lyrics are seriously better than most artists out today. This single from Sheeran's debut album +, peaked at #42 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #5 on the British Singles Chart. This is another artist I really can't get enough of and can't wait until his next album. His other single "The A-Team" is a bonus video. Check it out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4BLVznuWnU

"Brick House"- The Commodores. I guess Lionel Richie wanted to start playing cheesy love songs and not songs about curvaceous women. This rare non-Lionel Richie led Commodores single from the Commodores self-titled 1978 album peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 and featured drummer Walter Orange singing the lead vocals to the ode to thick girls everywhere. The lyrics of the song were actually written by band member William King's wife, Shirley King who heard the tune while the band was jamming and wanted to put lyrics to a song that was "sure to be a hit".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EmnQp3V48

"Almost Home"- Mariah Carey. This main theme to the 2012 Disney movie "Oz the Great and Powerful" is different from any other Mariah Carey song I've ever heard. I can't understand why this song didn't chart higher especially since the video was nominated for video of the year at the World Music Awards. I think Mariah Carey is a perfect example of a woman who ages not only gracefully but spectacularly! She is more sexy now than she ever was! If you haven't seen this movie starring James Franco, I'd check it out. Pretty good prequel to the "Wizard of Oz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwrWFOluAo8

"Burning Down The House"- Talking Heads. I never understood the Talking Heads band name. Aren't heads supposed to talk? Not surprisingly, this #9 single on the Billboard Hot 100 was the band's only hit. Another case of 1980's crazy one hit wonders. In a pretty ironic funny twist, this single was from their 1983 album Speaking In Tongues. I had to stop watching this video. I'm too creeped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

"Stranger In My House"- Tamia. This super hot wife of recently retired NBA star Grant Hill is one of the sexiest women alive and I'll go ahead and say probably the sexiest Canadian singer ever. This unreal video makes me wonder what man would ever dream about cheating on her. I'm just keeping it real. This super hot single peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2000 on Tamia's album A Nu Day. Call me a sissy, but I think the lyrics of this song are very well written, but I seem to forget that sometimes when I watch this video. This was an era when every female R & B singer would have dark videos with no one else in them just to mesmerize us. Tamia from about the 3:00 mark on is about as hot as she's ever looked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNyoOyTI5g

"House By The Sea"- Moddi. This Norwegian singer is strange in every sense of the word, but this super catchy song just proves my point again that Scandinavia is a very huge hotbed for talented, yet different artists. By all accounts, Moddi is self-taught and grew up rather reclusive on the Norwegian island of Senja, which is quite possibly one of the most random places on the planet and easily one of the most uninhabitable. The odds of a singer with a video on youtube being from there is about the same odds of me waking up tomorrow and being black. This autobiographical song about Moddi's house by the sea on Senja is so freaking good- I hate he's not from a bigger city! This single is from his album Set the House on Fire that was released earlier this year and peaked at #9 on the Norwegian album charts. I love this video as well, because it pretty much sums up the ideas I got for this list in the first place. It's funny where that inspiration can come from sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5FpPP4TSA

"Take Me Home Tonight"- Eddie Money. One of the most annoying songs ever- but did I even have a choice? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDpXsJLkN8

"Where I Belong"- Building 429. I realized I cheated big time on this one, but this song is just too good to leave off. This single from their 2011 album Listen To The Sound. This song just makes you want to dance, but one of my good friends who is a huge fan of this song already knows this- isn't that right Marie? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he32vwlKQPY

BONUS VIDEOS- "Welcome"- The Who (From the film "Tommy").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWeFJGCIhes

"Ho Hey"- The Lumineers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

"Two Tickets To Paradise"- Eddie Money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCacbNlrqYk

"The A Team"- Ed Sheeran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWcs5H-qgQ

"Our House"- Phantom Planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhfiZ4Rr1o

"We Haven't Finished Yet"- The Five Heartbeats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Klg98P_csA

"Strong Enough to Break"- Hanson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCw1Fhj0wvw

"Don't Stop Believing"- Journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0
See what I mean?
See what I mean?
Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran
Gabrielle Alpin
Gabrielle Alpin
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Mariah Carey hotter than ever
Mariah Carey hotter than ever

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons