Sunday, March 04, 2012

Late Night Music Part 126....."Use My Strong Hand!!!!!"

After a "strong" showing at karaoke tonight, I figured it was time to unveil my newest list which features the word "strong". See what I did there? I did find out, however that in writing this list that the "strong" theme is popular with the females, not that is bad or anything. Lots of girl power on this one.

In order to receive votes in this category, the SONG TITLE had to have the word "Strong" or "Stronger". "Strength" was automatically disqualified. Also receiving votes in this category were "Strong Tower" by Kutless, "My Strongest Weakness" by Wynonna Judd, and "Strong" by LeAnn Rimes.

"Stronger"- Mandisa. I've said 1000 times how much I hate "American Idol", but this Idol alum has made unbelievable splashes in the gospel music industry not only for her amazing voice, but her unbelievable 100 pound weight loss and counting. This song from her Grammy nominated album "What If We Were Real" peaked at #1 on the Hot Christian Singles Chart. Perfect example of my huge issue with "American Idol" is the fact that someone like Mandisa finished NINTH and the winner that year was who??????? Oh yeah, Taylor Hicks- the show is a popularity contest and has less and less to do with talent. This video here is actually a live studio recording and is slightly different than the radio release. Bonus points for the left handed guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2Hdh7cvA

"Strong Enough"- Sheryl Crow. One of my favorite female singers ever! Sheryl Crow released her debut album "Tuesday Night Music Club" in 1993, and after the success of "All I Wanna Do", this final single from the album climbed to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1994 and won Sheryl Crow the award for Best New Artist at the 1995 Grammy Awards where she also won for Album Of The Year for "Tuesday Night Music Club". I like this song and this video because it's powerful yet simple, something that isn't done anymore.....except for maybe Adele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxE3W1RTz8

"Just A Little Bit Stronger"- Sara Evans. Not gonna lie, this song actually was the song that inspired me to write this entry. I've never been a huge fan of Sara Evans despite her being hot. Also, this video is a little bit over the top for me. I'm not a huge fan of having dialogue over the music in a video, especially in a song like this. However, this song is so awesome I find it getting stuck in my head a lot, and after actually hearing it for the first time at karaoke, it's become a regular on the Sprint playlist. This single was the title track to her 2011 album "Stronger"- her first album in six year and the first since her 2007 high profile divorce which took place while Evans was a contestant on "Dancing With The Stars", and was also featured on the soundtrack to the movie "Country Strong". After climbing to #1 on the Country Chart, the single peaked at #34 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22zB6Soc2Gk

"Stronger"- Mary J. Blige. I love this song on every level, but I hate this video on so many levels. Mary looks great in it, but since it was featured in the 2009 documentary film on LeBron James, "More Than A Game", it features tons of clips of LeBron James St. Vincent St. Mary's High School team. This single was the "title track" of sorts for her 2009 album "Stronger With Each Tear", but was not featured on the US version, only appearing on International Releases. Despite this, it's quickly become one of my favorite MJB songs despite only peaking at #84 on the Billboard R&B Songs Chart. Like I said, I think Mary looks great in this video as far as her hair- but I'm really not feeling this dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U6TEqhxnuo

"Strong Enough To Break"- Hanson. I left these guys off of "Give Me A Break, Give Me A Break, Break Me Off A Piece Of That Kit Kat Bar" by accident, so I made sure I didn't do it this time. After growing up and going through puberty, Hanson has turned out to be a really good band that isn't bubble gum whatsoever, as most people simply only know their material from 1997's "Middle Of Nowhere". However, after struggling with Def Jam Island Records for creative control of their music, Hanson finally started their own label, 3CG Records. Ironically, this song is the title for the documentary film made about that very conflict. This track is the very first on their 2004 album "Underneath", which peaked at #25 on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart. Despite it not being released as a single, this will always be one of Hanson's best songs. Also, I will say this again- you can say whatever you want, but the talent that Hanson has is undeniable. Now that they've moved away from the bubble gum sound of their childhood, you are looking at a really good band. Also, bonus points for Zac Hanson sharing my birthday just 4 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIvcjF74mg

"Stronger Woman"- Jewel. I really like Jewel, but this debut country single from her 2007 album "Perfectly Clear" just doesn't seem to fit her persona well to me. Jewel is still super sexy and I love her voice, just not in a country song- don't know why. This song was still moderately successful anyway, as this song only peaked at #13 on the Billboard Country Charts and #84 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaXr2vGDQwk

"Strong Enough To Save"- Tenth Avenue North. This single from Tenth Avenue North's 2010 album "The Light Meets The Dark" is a perfect example of how great of a band they are in an under the radar genre. This single peaked #1 on the Billboard Christian Singles Chart, with the album reaching #15 on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums Chart. I'd really like to see Tenth Avenue North in concert because Mike Donehey is a super talented front man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gsTLF9pL4

"Strong Enough"- Matthew West. Matthew West is quickly becoming the next Steven Curtis Chapman just based on his sound and songwriting ability. This song from his latest album "My Own Little World" peaked at #6 on the Christian Singles Chart in 2010. The first time I saw this video I thought to myself "man that guy really looks kinda like Gary LeVox". Funny thing is that Rascal Flatts actually recorded his song "The Day Before You" on their 2004 album "Feels Like Today". This guy has an amazing voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knuHDPbE5es

"My Strongest Suit"- Spice Girls. I have to admit that I LOVE this song! This song featured on Elton John and Tim Rice's concept soundtrack album of "Aida" which was famously released in 1999 BEFORE the musical was released on Broadway in 2000. This recording with the Spice Girls was made without Geri Halliwell, and was actually one of their last studio recordings together before their breakup in 2001. Like most of the songs on this album, the Broadway cast version is very different, but this song for Amneris in Aida is one of the musical's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yYQ6hso8Ks

"Standing Strong"- Sarah Dawn Finer. I love finding Scandinavian artists. SDF is a Swedish artist with this song being featured on her #1 Swedish album "Moving On". This song is super good, and I love when European artists don't show any sign of being European in their music, because this song just screams American R&B, and while Sarah is a beautiful woman, I am just not feeling some of the looks she goes for in this video, but I'm sure that has to do with European producers being so heavily "influenced" by American hip hop artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXPzpxkNZx4

BONUS VIDEOS- "Hands"- Jewel. This is what Jewel needs to stick with. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsS3pIDBfw

"Christmas Makes Me Cry"- Matthew West and Mandisa. I don't if I've ever had two artists on a list on separate songs that recorded a duet together at an earlier date. This live performance from a 2007 concert in Decatur, IL is pretty impressive. They should seriously record some more songs together. Notice the difference between Mandisa and now- actually very inspirational. This single was released on Mandisa's EP "Christmas Joy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpjqgfhGPE

And of course the scene from "Scary Movie 2" that inspired the title. Sorry, I had to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHB00Nu3Ak

Mandisa

Sara Evans

Sarah Dawn Finer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons