Sunday, September 18, 2011

Late Night Music Part 112.........."Cheerio!"

I've done plenty of foreign lists before, but it was always the most difficult to do a list about artists from the United Kingdom. So many artists have come over, that I have no doubt that I'll realize a great band I left off as soon as I put this up. However, here is my first attempt at a British list, but who's to say I won't have to have a volume 2?

In order to be considered for this list, the ENTIRE BAND had to be from the United Kingdom. This would disqualify Katrina and the Waves, The Pretenders, Foreigner, and Fleetwood Mac. Also, no solo artists were considered. This would disqualify Robbie Williams, Dido, The Bedingfield siblings, and even Elton John. Also receiving votes in this category were "Monday I'm In Love" by The Cure, "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes, "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls, and "Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police. NOT receiving votes was anything by Black Sabbath- most overrated band ever? Also, I left off Cleopatra on purpose- do I have to explain why? The Beatles and Rolling Stones were also not included on this list for obvious reasons- I have to make room for others ya know?

"Fix You"- Coldplay. I included this unreal performance from "Austin City Limits" in my "favorite bands" entry a few weeks ago, but I had to put on here again because it's literally just that amazing. I can't think of a better song to end a show. This song was released in 2005 off of Coldplay's masterpiece album "X and Y", and remains a fan favorite, as seen from this video. However, despite pretty good success in Europe, this peaked out at a meager #59 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. I really hate when people call Coldplay a "whiny" band, because this song is probably one of my favorite ever. However, I'm gonna ask Chris Martin to stop humping the piano. I think it speaks volumes for Coldplay to be featured on a show like "Austin City Limits", as it is known for country music, despite it being more diverse in recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2qJl7TP9IM

"Chasing Cars"- Snow Patrol. I still can't listen to this song without thinking about the "panties" scene in the "Grey's Anatomy" season 2 finale. You know you were thinking about it too. In 2005, Snow Patrol had already enjoyed success in Europe, but were still pretty unknown in the USA. While riding the wave of their appearance on "Grey's Anatomy", they climbed all the way to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 with this song from their critically acclaimed album "Eyes Open". This American version of the music video really shows "laying here" being taken to a new level of literal meaning, and I'm not sure planking wasn't born because of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w

"We Might As Well Be Strangers"- Keane. Every time I hear this song I get chills. This song was featured on Keane's blockbuster debut album "Hopes and Fears", and remains one of their most famous songs ever despite never being released as a single. This video here is from their "Strangers" DVD which is an obvious reference to this song. Keane is known around England and around the world as the "band with no guitars" due to their heavy piano based sound with synthesizers often distorted to sound like other instruments. For some reason, this song always makes me think of alot of people I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w

"Karma Police"- Radiohead. Yes I know you probably wanted to hear "Creep", but that's too easy. This song is SO much better! Despite this song being included on the original "NOW That's What I Call Music" collection in 1997, it never touched the Billboard Hot 100, merely hitting #14 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart in the USA. The song was popular due to this very strange video that was the creation of director of Jonathan Glazer (Jamiroquai- you'll see them in a second). He was so hell bent on filming this video after Marilyn Manson turned down the same theme, but later called this video a "failed attempt". I could see that. Despite that, this song is a change in the norm from Radiohead, as this album "OK Computer" contains no other songs like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI

"Year 3000"- Busted. This song was famously, or infamously covered by the Jonas Brothers in 2006 for their first (and second) studio album. This song here by pop/punk band Busted was released on their 2002 debut self-titled album and climbed to #2 on the UK charts and saw success all across Europe. Despite being one of the biggest acts in the UK in 2003-2004, Busted actually busted up the band (pun DEFINITELY intended) in 2005 after only releasing two studio albums. This song is so freaking catchy and I have to admit it gets stuck in my head almost on a routine basis. Also, I think Busted was a good band. I hate when good bands can't stay together because of tensions within the band. Bonus points for the "Back To The Future" refrences and the "video game within the video".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MznLU4USbA

"Alright"- Supergrass. In 1995, Supergrass exploded into Europe with their debut album "I Should Coco". This song wound up topping out at #2 on the British Singles Chart and added this hilarious video. After seeing it, Steven Spielberg actually approached the band (and understandably so) about starting an American TV series similar to that of "The Monkees". The band declined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUE4oDunYkc

"Girls and Boys"- Blur. Around that same time, Blur was riding high in Europe behind the success of their third album "Parklife". This song was the lead single from the album, and also peaked at #59 on the Billboard Hot 100, and was also the band's first top 5 hit in Europe. This blue screen video was widely popular in the US, as I remember being played 100000 times in the summer of 1994 on "Alternative Nation" back when MTV still had music. The people in the background of the video are clips from 18-30 vacation package commercials, which are so popular in Europe. Also, in another hilarious twist, the cover shot for the single of this song was taken from a picture used by Durex condoms, the most trusted name in contraceptives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDswiT87oo8

"I Believe In A Thing Called Love"- The Darkness. I FREAKING LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!! The Darkness made their only real splash in the United States with this song from their 2003 album "Permission To Land". Not only does Justin Hawkins put on a falsetto display that would make Barry Gibb jealous, he puts on an incredible vocal performance on EASILY one of the top 5 most difficult karaoke songs I've ever heard (right up there with "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" by Jennifer Hudson). Who would have thought that a glam rock band could look so cool in 2003, 14 years after the last of the hair bands died out? This song was a #2 hit in the UK, but only managed to crack the top 10 of the dreaded "Modern Rock Tracks" chart in the United States. Despite this, this video (which also looks super retro) was wildly popular in the USA, and I feel like an idiot, because for some reason I really thought this song was by the Black Crowes- I know, just slap me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU

"Your Love"- The Outfield. The Outfield has always been a sort of anomaly. Despite pretty good success in the US in the mid 80's, they were virtual unknowns in the UK. This song from their 1986 hit debut album "Play Deep" hit #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and became an 80's anthem, as well as their signature song. It also became a favorite at karaoke clubs all over the world. Bonus points for the mullets in the video as well as the fact that a British band has a name specific to an American sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1iwQxiHrs

"Push The Button"- Sugababes. Sugababes are so hot! This song hit #1 on the British Singles Chart in 2005 off of their album "Taller In More Ways". VERY ironic that the very group they bumped out of #1 was the group I thought of the first I saw this video. Pussycat Dolls- disagree? Unlike the overrated Spice Girls before them, Sugababes have never released anything in the United States, and as far as I know, they've never even toured here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDGcxAf9D8

"Never Ever"- All Saints. Speaking of hot British girl groups! All Saints hit #1 all over the planet with this debut single from their self titled 1997 album. I know the Spice Girls were bigger (but for some reason we haven't seen them on this list......hmmmmmmm), but All Saints was so much more talented. All Saints also featured Shaznay Lewis (from the movie "Bend It Like Beckham"). Also, unlike the other British girl groups, All Saints has always had the same lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6DtgW_uh0

"Rome Wasn't Built In A Day"- Morcheeba. Sometimes I really find the groups I discover on this blog to be a real joy. This r & b/pop/jazz/funk band is no different. This song from their 2000 album "Fragments of Freedom" is actually one of the band's biggest hits despite just topping out at #34 on the British Singles Chart. Lead singer Skye Edwards reminds me SO much of Freshlyground's Zolani Mohala- it's really almost scary how alike they are. Bonus points for the awful yet highly entertaining choreographed Egyptian dancing in this video. I think this video is very "American"- maybe it's just me, but I've never seen many British videos like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmognvrztU

"Silly Love Songs"- Wings. Ok, this one is almost cheating, but I'm gonna count it. This song was a worldwide SMASH #1 on Wings 1976 album "Wings At The Speed of Sound", and has always been my favorite Wings song. In fact, the song was so big, it was even named the #1 song at the Billboard Hot 100 year end chart for 1976. Despite this song's awesomeness, Paul McCartney, for an unknown reason, doesn't play the song live anymore. I'm sure most of you have heard how upset I was that he didn't play this song after I saw him live in New Orleans in 2002. I am guessing it was either because he didn't have a horn section that night (Paul would never use tracks, only live instruments, and this song is impossible without that- just saying), or the fact that Linda had such a huge part on the song that he unofficially "retired" it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9QVN0bpa4

"Two Steps Behind"- Def Leppard. A few years after taking a break from their arena glam rock days, Def Leppard came back in 1993 with this hit single from their album "Retro Active". This song peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and put Def Leppard back in the spotlight for a short time. There were actually two versions of this song, an electric version, and the acoustic version heard here. This version was also featured on the forgettable Arnold Schwarzenegger film "The Last Action Hero". I love how Joe Clark looks exactly the same as he did in 1982 in this video, but I can't understand why this video is so gloomy. Are they just trying to copy Poison?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJJJGU80wg

"Sing"- Travis. I was wondering when I'd get to include these guys again. This lead single from their 2001 album "The Invisible Band" is the band's best known song, and peaked at #3 on the British Singles Chart. This song was some of Travis's first real airplay in the US as this song appeared at #37 on the Hot Modern Rock Tracks. This song was also included on the soundtrack to the 2002 Adam Sandler movie "Mr. Deeds". These guys remind me alot of All American Rejects not only with their style, but with their videos. I love a band that can have a funny video to a serious song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1f2M5G9KG8

"Come Undone"- Duran Duran. Not gonna lie, this video scared the crap out of me. This has to be the first time I've watched it since 6th grade. Watch if you dare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnlyNUt_0o

"True"- Spandau Ballet. Whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8D2yqgQ1U

BONUS VIDEOS-

"Otherwise"- Morcheeba. Another great song from Morcheeba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxn-fz9mjo4

"Two Steps Behind"- Def Leppard. The electric version. Had never heard before now. Very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKF2oE2LDoo

"We All Die Young"- Steel Dragon. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WqWaZxXSo

Morcheeba

Supergrass

Sugababes- I was thinking more hotbabes

Cheerio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Traffic Counter
Macys.com Coupons